Menu

When are the big homeschooling conventions?

I live overseas and only come back to the USA for a visit every 3-4 years. We came back in the summer 2013, and I got to attend my state's homeschooling convention. I really enjoyed going to some sessions and especially getting most of my curriculum in one spot with free shipping since most of my suppliers were there. But my state (IL) was pretty small I guess, compared with some of the other conventions I've heard about. Next time we come back we can schedule it for about 3-4 months anywhere around Christmas, so Sept-Dec or Dec-beginning of April, or any other combination around the holidays.

I was thinking that I'd love to go to a homeschooling convention while home, and I wouldn't mind traveling anywhere in the midwest or even a bit farther. Just can't go west really. So my ideal convention would be one with several classical ed speakers like SWB, Kern, the VP guys, etc. (I'll need help and inspiration for the logic stage), and it would include an exhibit hall with enough displayers to draw my main suppliers that I order from. (For example, one of them--MFW-- isn't going to IL anymore.) Does a convention like this exist, and if so, where and when (generally)? Thanks for your help!

I think they're saying the Cincy convention is now the largest one in the country.  Don't know if that's true or not, but it's what I've heard.  And it will be in April.  Yes, it's run by GHC, so you'll find it at that link.  They replicate it at the other locations, so less people, same speakers and vendors for the most part.  

I went to the ghc last june. It was the one in CA. I also did the Chea convention (Christian homeschool educators association ). I think they were about the same size. I would look at the topics they have at the conventions around you to see what you are most interested in. Both of the conventions were Christian. . I dont know of you are looking for something secular. Both conventions were in may/june.

I don't attend a lot of the large ones, but have attended and enjoyed the Royal Fireworks Press conference in Valley Forge, PA, and found it worthwhile.  They don't necessarily do it annually and I think this past year it was canceled.  I haven't checked to see if they have an updated schedule.  That one is small but high quality IMO.

I used to attend CHAP (Christian Homeschool Assoc of Pennsylvania cited upthread) solely for the used curriculum sale, but this past year they had speakers I found interesting (SWB!), so I was quite happy to actually attend some talks.

I went to the ghc last june. It was the one in CA. I also did the Chea convention (Christian homeschool educators association ). I think they were about the same size. I would look at the topics they have at the conventions around you to see what you are most interested in. Both of the conventions were Christian. . I dont know of you are looking for something secular. Both conventions were in may/june.

I would love religious ones; the one in my state was, but I found that I didn't learn a whole lot from the sessions. They were true, some were interesting, and nice reminders, but nothing I didn't already know or very inspiring. I'd really love to hear some classical ed speakers, if possible.

Basically anything from May through August won't work for me this time around, though CHAP sounds nice if there are classical speakers there! Are there any in September or October? (I know that would be weird for most homeschoolers, just wondering!)