Menu

Whittling subjects to the minimum

Ok, deep breath, here it is. My daughter is physically unable to do schoolwork on average 2-3 days a week. We are working on the diagnosis and treatment , and she seems to be making very slow progress toward health. We are hopeful it can be resolved this year, but it is possible it will take longer. Looks like high school will need to be extended. She is not happy about that , and is concerned that she won't have any friends still here. The reality is that this illness combined with her learning disabilities means she won't be ready for more advanced work until later.

So my question is what would you do if it were your HS sophmore? Would you continue with the plan when she feels able, would you change up science for a more Teaching Company/ video/ get 'er done / enjoyable/ easier sort of approach? She hates Apologia physics ( would welcome a change)and isn't strong in math , but should finish Alg 2 Saxon by March. Literature studies of books of her own choosing/ just reading? Drop Econ and American History for now? This is new ground for us ,and I want her to feel productive, but not stressed. I'm just trying to figure out how to do that on the days she feels ok. Any suggestions are welcomed!

One of my sisters needed to extend high school because of ongoing illness, it was by far the best choice for her; she is in college now and doing very well. Many hugs to your daughter, please let her know that spreading out the work and extending her time in school is in no way a failure but rather a sign of wisdom. Life throws unexpected things at all of us, and while an extra year or so may seem like a long time to a teenager it really isn't very significant in the course of a lifetime. Stress will make dealing with her physical challenges worse and ultimately set her back more.

It sounds like she is already on a somewhat advanced track if she is doing Saxon Algebra 2 and physics as a sophomore. She would be fine to slow down a bit but keep moving forward in math. I would be inclined to do the same for science, though if she is unhappy with the program itself you could look into something different. Maybe keep either econ or history but not both?

Best wishes in figuring out together what will work for her!

My DS has a difficult time focusing when he isn't feeling well and he is unwell quite a bit.  This year we scaled back to Math, Science, History, Writing, and lots of reading.  He can read, read, read even when he doesn't feel awesome so we have simply beefed up the reading material and held back on things that require him to sit at a desk and write out answers, etc.  I was thinking today that I really should add in more documentaries too - things he can watch but that are educational.  I basically threw grammar and Latin out the window and we aren't trying to find time for extras.  

I hope she can find a good diagnosis and treatment soon. It is fortunate in the meantime that homeschooling can bend a bit. I would stick with math because that's the hardest area for most people to play catch up on later. Four years of math and four years of English are required by most colleges. Students can apply with fewer years of science, social science, and foreign language.

On the "off" days can she still read or watch videos?  If so, I'd think about maybe shifting history over to a video based curriculum like watching Teaching Company videos. In difficult times not every subject needs the same level of written output. Also, if you are currently tied to the traditional school year - M-F, summers off - it might be good to reassess to allow for shorter periods of work on days when she's feeling better. That's what many students with medical challenges do and it can take off a lot of pressure.

Agree with the suggestions of previous posters. :)

The credits can be accomplished with less rigorous materials and spread out as year-round school, if needed. But cutting back to *only* the basics of subjects she's not really "into" (math/science/history) is going to make the disappointment she's already experiencing with the slow recovery from the illness even harder to walk through.

So, my thought would be to make sure to also help her keep a more positive frame of mind by making sure to schedule some of her limited "good" time for DD to work towards an elective of her personal *interest* and enjoyment-- or at least, as much as possible, schedule her time and energy in such a way as to enable her to participate in an extracurricular with friends that is esp. meaningful to her. :)

So sorry your family is having to weather such an extended rough patch! :( Warmest regards, Lori D.

Ok, deep breath, here it is. My daughter is physically unable to do schoolwork on average 2-3 days a week. We are working on the diagnosis and treatment , and she seems to be making very slow progress toward health. We are hopeful it can be resolved this year, but it is possible it will take longer. Looks like high school will need to be extended. She is not happy about that , and is concerned that she won't have any friends still here. The reality is that this illness combined with her learning disabilities means she won't be ready for more advanced work until later.

So my question is what would you do if it were your HS sophmore? Would you continue with the plan when she feels able, would you change up science for a more Teaching Company/ video/ get 'er done / enjoyable/ easier sort of approach? She hates Apologia physics ( would welcome a change)and isn't strong in math , but should finish Alg 2 Saxon by March. Literature studies of books of her own choosing/ just reading? Drop Econ and American History for now? This is new ground for us ,and I want her to feel productive, but not stressed. I'm just trying to figure out how to do that on the days she feels ok. Any suggestions are welcomed!

I also have a dd(although much younger)  who's ill health prevents her from working a full week.  If it were me I'd continue with the Saxon, read good literature when she feels like it and have you read to her when she doesn't (that way you can discuss).  I'd still keep the History but switch to a video/documentary style with discussion, same for Science, drop Econ, it can easily be picked up later.  For writing I'd have her keep a journal documenting her "journey" through the illness, the ups and downs. 

.....So pretty much what you said!

Would assistive software help?  Like dictating her written work with Dragon Naturally Speaking?  Helping organize her thoughts with Inspiration software?  Maybe use Ginger, if needed, for reading back her work and showing her where she needs to correct grammar/spelling?

Kindle Fire HD for lots of audio books she can listen to while she lays down?

Hugs and good luck, to both of you.  Taking the extra time and lightening the load sounds like the best option by far.  As maize said, this is not being behind but making a wise choice.

Best wishes 

I think I would stick to 4 core subjects and add anything as her health permits.  If she pursues math, science, social studies, and English with writing included in a course or spread across all courses that would cover the basics.  If she wants a college prep track the next subject I'd add would be a foreign language.

Some pp had a great idea-could you match up any courses to Teaching Company or other documentaries and watch those on the off days?

Best wishes for a speedy resolution.