Menu

Who's doing Operation Christmas Child this year?

Cinder

Can anyone suggest less controversial groups that organize something similar? We would love to participate, but this doesn't sound like an organization I could in any way support. It's fine if the groups are religious (even though we are not), but the message must be positive and not...icky. Hope that's okay if I ask here! I think the idea sounds fantastic.

There is another thread where some other options were mentioned.

It is operation "Christmas" child, so one would assume it is going to be a Christian operation - most likely a missionary type operation.

I'm not really big on the missionary aspect of certain churches, but I participated in Operation Christmas Child because it would be good for my kids and a couple of other little girls somewhere.  I am not afraid that the missionary aspect of it is going to hurt the kids.  If it affects the adults for better or for worse, at least they are adults.

I think it's good for kids everywhere to be exposed to different religions.  But my main point was to delight some little girls.

I don't know of better alternatives that get the kids involved on both ends.  I know of many charities that purport to be "for the children" but have some aspect that I don't agree with.  For the big buck donations, I need to have a much more direct connection and prefer to physically go there and see what is being done for the kids.  But I don't consider this operation to be on that level.

Of course like everything else, only participate if it makes you feel good.

Also, did y'all know that Chick-fil-a will give you a free sandwich if you use their box and return it on a certain date? I was thinking it might be fun to do.

I didn't know this so thanks! We used to make boxes with our old homeschool group but now I wouldn't know where to drop off boxes. Chick-fil-a is just down the road

This is really how you describe Christianity?

How much do you know about Samaritan's Purse and their beliefs and activities? Because I wouldn't say that SP is representative of mainstream Christianity. It's possible to think that the "messages" of people like Franklin Graham, Fred Phelps, and others like them, are "icky" without implying in any way that Christianity itself is "icky." 

He has stated that Islam is "evil"

Islam is "evil and wicked" and Hindus are "bound by the power of Satan."

he certainly willingly expresses his fundamentally similar viewpoint even going to the extreme to say that when gay couples adopt it is "exploitation of children."

He's also said that since gays can't reproduce they have to "recruit," and that adoption by gay couples is a means of "recruitment."