Menu

College/high school credits

Is it standard that a one semester 3 credit community college class is equal to one credit/one full year high school class? My son is dual enrolled with a charter program and they are making him take way more classes for high school graduation than I thought. And the reason is that they are counting one semester of CC as one semester of HS. So for his government class for HS he has to take poly sci 1something (he already took it and I can't remember the number) and now over winter they are saying he has to take 210 because the other class is only 1/2 credit (for HS) it's a 3 credit class. This is also applying to English and math erc so he is essentially taking double the amount of classes he needs to IMO and therefore is not getting to start on classes for his major next term even though he has met the English and math requirements for his major(at a major university NOT at the CC). I'm really irritated by this and want to call for clarifications since he has been the one handling all of this but I want to be sure I'm not off base before I do. Thanks.

In your opinion, is using the 1sem college = 1 high school year reasonable? We are also considering pulling him back out to homeschool the last semester and I would have NO issue graduating him from HS with all the classes he has taken. He has done as much as is required for highs school I think but I wouldn't want his transcript to not be accurate.

Is it standard that a one semester 3 credit community college class is equal to one credit/one full year high school class? My son is dual enrolled with a charter program and they are making him take way more classes for high school graduation than I thought. And the reason is that they are counting one semester of CC as one semester of HS. So for his government class for HS he has to take poly sci 1something (he already took it and I can't remember the number) and now over winter they are saying he has to take 210 because the other class is only 1/2 credit (for HS) it's a 3 credit class. This is also applying to English and math erc so he is essentially taking double the amount of classes he needs to IMO and therefore is not getting to start on classes for his major next term even though he has met the English and math requirements for his major(at a major university NOT at the CC). I'm really irritated by this and want to call for clarifications since he has been the one handling all of this but I want to be sure I'm not off base before I do. Thanks.

Pre-questions:

(a) Are you talking about speaking with the high school issuing credits required for graduation, or the college to ask about their credit transfer agreement?

(b) You are talking about semesters but you mention that he has to take something over "winter". Is this a semester or quarter system? Semester being Fall/Spring, with fall starting in late summer and spring in winter.

© You're talking about transferring to a four-year. Have you spoken with the four-year? Is this within a transfer agreement between the CC and the four-year, or something else? How are you getting information about the major requirements?

General answers:

"He has done as much as is required for highs school I think but I wouldn't want his transcript to not be accurate."

For that, it's really a homeschool question and it will probably be a lot easier to answer than the question with the high school, you know? Because you can just look up the rules for your state.

Also, it seems odd that he's taking community college classes full time but needs to enroll in high school. Do you have Running Start in your state? Then he doesn't need to be enrolled in high school--he can get his AA by the end of his senior year and transfer that.

If it is at all possible for him to deal just with the CC and four year, I'd do that. Three institutions to co-ordinate is complicated. I'd do it if necessary but if not, get as few in the equation as possible. I guess my fourth pre-question is why he's at the charter in the first place. Is that a requirement for him to continue to attend CC?

We are Washington as well, and my first thought was to check what the state dictates. Since the dual enrollment situation is now quite large in most all states, I think quite a few have an actual conversion to follow.

Nevada here and a quick google could not find the answer.  NV is pretty behind on this kind of stuff so I would not be surprised if it did not.

I think different schools do vary on this, but

the online school where I work counts a 3 credit/1 semester college course towards 1 year of high school credit

and

the public school in my neighborhood has two dual enrollment courses offered on campus (one taught by cc professor, one overseen by a state university professor), both courses result in 3 college credits

ETA in ancient times (1982) I attended a local university full time my senior year of high school. I only needed English to graduate. The public school required that I take English both semesters so that I was enrolled in English the full year. I think I earned 27 college credits that year, 6 credits of English.

Answers below:

Pre-questions:

(a) Are you talking about speaking with the high school issuing credits required for graduation, or the college to ask about their credit transfer agreement?

**** the high school.  They require the kids be diploma seeking and award a NV state diploma for High school.  The CC classes are used to fulfill their HS graduation requirements. 

( B) You are talking about semesters but you mention that he has to take something over "winter". Is this a semester or quarter system? Semester being Fall/Spring, with fall starting in late summer and spring in winter.

****  the CC is semester based but also offers a shortened winter and summer term.  Classes are just crammed into a shorter time frame as I understand.  The Fall and Spring terms are normal semesters.

© You're talking about transferring to a four-year. Have you spoken with the four-year? Is this within a transfer agreement between the CC and the four-year, or something else? How are you getting information about the major requirements?

**** yes we have spoken to the 4 year and have their written agreement of classes that transfer.  He has met almost all of the "gen Ed"  requirements or will have by May.   He doesnt need anymore english per thier requirements for the bachelors but the highs school is making him take another english to graduate high school.  this seems beyond stupid to me.  but im a homeschooler at heart who hates hoop jumping.

General answers:

"He has done as much as is required for highs school I think but I wouldn't want his transcript to not be accurate."

For that, it's really a homeschool question and it will probably be a lot easier to answer than the question with the high school, you know? Because you can just look up the rules for your state.

****Right.  Exactly.  But ONLY if Im not off base in assigning 1 HS credit for one 3 credit CC course.  That is the question.   I can pull him out and finish with a homeschool diploma instead of a NV state diploma.  We are considering this, although its not likely.  He is happy where he is.  I am irritated that he has to double up all these courses(in my mind.  this is why Im asking if Im wrong)

Also, it seems odd that he's taking community college classes full time but needs to enroll in high school. Do you have Running Start in your state? Then he doesn't need to be enrolled in high school--he can get his AA by the end of his senior year and transfer that.

**** dont know about running start but we did not have the $ to pay for it ourselves and this was the only other option.

If it is at all possible for him to deal just with the CC and four year, I'd do that. Three institutions to co-ordinate is complicated. I'd do it if necessary but if not, get as few in the equation as possible. I guess my fourth pre-question is why he's at the charter in the first place. Is that a requirement for him to continue to attend CC?

*****  It is a public charter high school that does dual enrollment only.  The only other option was for us to pay for CC ourselves.  This option allowed the free CC classes.  He didnt start till half way through junior year and COULD get the AA if we continued through the summer(paying for it ourselves after May) but the 4 year did not want the AA.  Told us it wouldnt transfer directly and to use only the classes that are on the agreement.  Which we have.  so he will have credits when he transfers but not an AA.  Which is fine with us.   We are thrilled with the amount of CC credit he has gotten/can get.  Im just mad that he cant get more degree specific courses because they are making him take stuff for HS graduation.  

ETA: its not just one english class.  It is also math, government and science

I think different schools do vary on this, but

the online school where I work counts a 3 credit/1 semester college course towards 1 year of high school credit

and

the public school in my neighborhood has two dual enrollment courses offered on campus (one taught by cc professor, one overseen by a state university professor), both courses result in 3 college credits

ETA in ancient times (1982) I attended a local university full time my senior year of high school. I only needed English to graduate. The public school required that I take English both semesters so that I was enrolled in English the full year. I think I earned 27 college credits that year, 6 credits of English.

your ETA is exactly what they are requiring.  

In your opinion, is using the 1sem college = 1 high school year reasonable? We are also considering pulling him back out to homeschool the last semester and I would have NO issue graduating him from HS with all the classes he has taken. He has done as much as is required for highs school I think but I wouldn't want his transcript to not be accurate.

It is absolutely reasonable that 1 semester college = 1 year high school.  In our state, the law requires that public high schools accept 1 semester or 1 quarter college as 1 full high school credit.

In our experience, every college my ds applied to in 5 different states accepted his 1 quarter cc credits as 1 year high school.  And, most of them transferred for college credit as well.  So even if your state does not standardize the credits, most universities will readily accept them this way.

FWIW...I've had kids in public high school and in dual enrollment.  Our high school is considered a good one.  However, I can honestly say that 1 quarter at our local cc is a much better education than 1 year of AP/honors/or regular at the high school.  AP classes were about mass memorization and hours of busy work.  College classes are about learning and thinking. Of course, that will depend on your schools.

**** the high school.  They require the kids be diploma seeking and award a NV state diploma for High school.  The CC classes are used to fulfill their HS graduation requirements. 

I see. That makes sense. They don't want people to get lost. Tough for your situation though!

****  the CC is semester based but also offers a shortened winter and summer term.  Classes are just crammed into a shorter time frame as I understand.  The Fall and Spring terms are normal semesters.

Okay. I am pretty sure that is still interpreted as a semester system.

Also, I am really sorry that my attempt at ( b ) and ( c ) turned into some kind of smiley and copyright notice. I am not copyrighting any of this. :)

**** yes we have spoken to the 4 year and have their written agreement of classes that transfer.  He has met almost all of the "gen Ed"  requirements or will have by May.   He doesnt need anymore english per thier requirements for the bachelors but the highs school is making him take another english to graduate high school.  this seems beyond stupid to me.  but im a homeschooler at heart who hates hoop jumping.

That is really good. Good for you.  The high school credit  may be the same for all because some kids will not go to college. Since they can't force you to go to college if they issue you a diploma with only one class in English, they probably just make everyone take the extra. I am sure how you can see that while it sucks for dual enrollment kids like your son, it makes sense if you have to make sure that your entire high school population gets a decent education. That said, it may be a credit transfer problem with the high school.

General answers:

****Right.  Exactly.  But ONLY if Im not off base in assigning 1 HS credit for one 3 credit CC course.  That is the question.   I can pull him out and finish with a homeschool diploma instead of a NV state diploma.  We are considering this, although its not likely.  He is happy where he is.  I am irritated that he has to double up all these courses(in my mind.  this is why Im asking if Im wrong)

Oh, I see. That is too bad! Here you can homeschool and do runing start and it's 100% in the college. Lots of homeschoolers do.

**** dont know about running start but we did not have the $ to pay for it ourselves and this was the only other option.

Yeah, that totally makes sense. What you are doing sounds sensible--it's what I'd do.

*****  It is a public charter high school that does dual enrollment only.  The only other option was for us to pay for CC ourselves.  This option allowed the free CC classes.  He didnt start till half way through junior year and COULD get the AA if we continued through the summer(paying for it ourselves after May) but the 4 year did not want the AA.  Told us it wouldnt transfer directly and to use only the classes that are on the agreement.  Which we have.  so he will have credits when he transfers but not an AA.  Which is fine with us.   We are thrilled with the amount of CC credit he has gotten/can get.  Im just mad that he cant get more degree specific courses because they are making him take stuff for HS graduation. 

So, I looked it up and Nevada does not have a direct transfer agreement, it seems between CCs and universities, which I will say in my personal opinion is insanely unfair to students. But if there is no agreement, no point in pursuing the AA, you're right. As for degree specific... hm.

What about... if he does the CC. Finishes the year. They say "Oh dear, you can't graduate. Sorry, no exceptions even if you're halfway to a bachelor's, what do you expect from a system that doesn't even transfer AAs to four year universities?"

Though he was on track, already accepted to university.

Then he takes summer school to make up the last three courses? Or you grant him the degree via homeschool after a special integrated project before he enters?

If Nevada is making it practically impossible for him to: first, transfer an AA and therefore get pre-reqs in a more flexible/high-school compatible way; second, use the regular high school--CC agreements as a homeschooler, and third, to at the very least transfer the darn CC credits to high school, I say find another way. That's a really anti-student system they have in place.

Just as a comparison, in my state, we have a direct transfer agreement so that AAs must be accepted by four years (though not every major); homeschoolers can use the CC; and finally if you go to CC full time you will end up graduating high school early. So I appreciate your frustration!