Menu

Favorite games?

craftymama

Toddler: 
Break the Ice (but it's loud and annoying)

Don't Spill the Beans (but it has small parts and is annoying)

We do a lot of playing with balloons and string. (which pop and annoy me)

Also anything involving bouncy balls and zhu zhu pets (which are annoyingness personified)

Preschool: 
We liked all of the above plus Hoot Owl Hoot at that age and Uno. Also any kind of memory game and Bingo. 

Ten-Year-Old

We're not quite that old yet, but in the 6-8 ages we have loved Catan Junior. I plan to get Ticket to Ride soon as I've read it's a good next step.

We play traditional games like Memory, Hi Ho Cherrio, Candyland, and Jenga. These work well with my 6&4 year olds. I help my 2 year old. I don't have any ideas for the 10 year old.

I've been thinking about Battleship for my 6 year old but I'm not sure he's quite ready for it.

Toddlers aren't consistent game players so it always helps if they're partners with someone else. HABA games are great for the toddler and preschool age. Animal Upon Animal is a great stacking game to play with 2-10 year olds. Batik and other dexterity games should be easy, although they may not understand the strategy involved. They can also lay down cards (like Momma Mia, For Sale, or Apples to Apples) or make easy choices (Incan Gold) and participate without completely understanding what's going on. 

You may need to wait a few years to truly get a family game going. Some preschoolers can do it, but I find the under 4 set to need a lot of action. Something for them is not necessarily something for everyone else. 

Toddlers aren't consistent game players so it always helps if they're partners with someone else. HABA games are great for the toddler and preschool age. Animal Upon Animal is a great stacking game to play with 2-10 year olds. Batik and other dexterity games should be easy, although they may not understand the strategy involved. They can also lay down cards (like Momma Mia, For Sale, or Apples to Apples) or make easy choices (Incan Gold) and participate without completely understanding what's going on. 

You may need to wait a few years to truly get a family game going. Some preschoolers can do it, but I find the under 4 set to need a lot of action. Something for them is not necessarily something for everyone else. 

In general I'm not expecting to find a family game given the littles ages, but if someone has one I'll certainly take it.  But Mommy is getting a little tired of the games we have so I'm thinking they all need a new game for Christmas. 

My 8yo loves :

Forbidden Island (he wants Forbidden Desert for Christmas)

Qwirkle (took a few tries to get the hang of it)

Likewise

Spy Alley (again, took a few times)

Spot It!

Tsuro

Gubs (takes a while to learn the rules for all the cards)

Chinese Checkers

Tri-Ominoes

King of Tokyo!.

Some of these are for older kids and we may or may not adapt the rules a little bit. 

My boys (almost 9 and 12) love Battleship, Risk, and Monopoly.

We all play Dutch Blitz, Memory, and UNO together.

My 4yo loves Smack Jack (Just divide a pack of regular cards and  take turns flipping one over. If it's a jack, everyone tries to smack it at once. Last smacker takes the pile. First one out wins.)