Menu

my daughter wants to gift mixes for Christmas this year...questions.

ProudGrandma

She is thinking of making the following mixes: taco seasoning, ranch dresing, Italian dressing, spaghetti sauce seasoning and onion soup mix.

We can't decide if we would make 1 or 2 of the mixes and gift more of each mix (like a half pint of each) ....or make them all and gift smaller amounts. (not sure what would be a good quantity)

If you were given this type of gift, would you like more of a few mixes, or less of a bigger variety? 

Also, depending on the size, what would you put the mixes in that would be cost effective, as well as nice looking for a gift?

thanks.

Could you put the seasoning in the little plastic baggies that Hobby Lobby carries - specifically the ones that are about 2x4ish? That way you could have a serving size in each baggie - print labels on address labels for each baggie. Maybe you could then put a selection in an attractive basket or tin or box?

Another option might be to simply use the small jelly jars (Bell) that people use for canning. That would probably up the cost to $1 or more for each container though.

Cool idea!

I would like two recipes worth of each...one to try and another. If I didn't like it wasting one wouldn't feel bad.

I normally love glass and little jars...but in this case if I couldn't reuse them I'd feel bad.

I like the little baggie idea but instead of a stick on label you could make a folded card stock header type thing...cute "label" on one side and instructions and ingredients on the other. This could be stapled or double stick taped to the top of the baggie.

There's also a way to make the header with the back longer so you can tape two bags overlapped.

Hope that makes sense. If not I can try to find a photo.

Cool idea!

I would like two recipes worth of each...one to try and another. If I didn't like it wasting one wouldn't feel bad.

I normally love glass and little jars...but in this case if I couldn't reuse them I'd feel bad.

I like the little baggie idea but instead of a stick on label you could make a folded card stock header type thing...cute "label" on one side and instructions and ingredients on the other. This could be stapled or double stick taped to the top of the baggie.

There's also a way to make the header with the back longer so you can tape two bags overlapped.

Hope that makes sense. If not I can try to find a photo.

Yes, I'd like two recipes of each.

Very cute ideas on this thread...I may be stealing some of them...  :)

I'd like a bigger variety over a greater quantity of each.  Variety is fun. :)

Just keep in mind that so many people don't eat so many things now, you might end up with a lot of people who can't use them.  I know more than a few people who are gluten/carb/sugar/dairy/meat/processed anything/etc. free, and they only eat like three different foods. :P

(And if you run across these people on your gift list, you can send me theirs. :D)

The Container Store has mini food storage containers, not too expensive. They also have mini Chinese take out boxes in bright colors. I think Oriental Trading has these --and other cute packaging -- too; you would have to put mixes in some sort of sealed bag first. Or you could use half pint canning jars and cover the lid with old-fashioned calico type fabric.

Aren't all baggies food safe? Isn't that sort of the purpose of a baggie?

I use Bagettes when I need tiny bags. Just googled -- not safe for food.

those are cute too...I will store that away for maybe next year.

I want to do the little bags with the little cards on top with the directions.  Before I reinvent the wheel...does anybody know if there is a template of sorts I could use to add my own words to it...or a easy, quick way to do this? 

thanks....we are excited about this gift....

you guys have come through once again for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yeah for the hive!!!!!