Menu

s/o sewists, what projects are you working on?

workingmom

I've got some swatches on the way for my coat, in the mean tip I decided to sew a couple of tops. Forgive the dark iPhone photos. :)

This one is the scarf collar top, Jalie 2921--I've sewn 2 versions before of this pattern before, one for myself & one I made into a dress for DD.

15591503658_2e76b6e355.jpg

As I was cutting this one out I kept thinking that the fabric was too outrageous. But then I got it sewn together & I really like it. Unfortunately, the back armhole was much too small so I'm going to re-cut it in a larger size (I had just enough fabric to eek out a 2nd version). The pattern is Simplicity 1280

15592139730_dd5195e43c.jpg

Now that halloween sewing is over, I'm working on a terrycloth bathrobe for a Christmas gift. The only cloth I could find is so thin, so I'm doing two layers. I hope it'll come out okay. Annoyingly, I saw some huge thick bath sheets on sale recently in a cool color. I'm thinking I should have got some of those instead of this thin terrycloth. Oh well...

My likes are working/not working. Amazing stuff everyone is doing.

I had been trying to get a quilt together for youngest daughter, 13, but I guess my measurements are not as exact as I thought (I tried, I really did) and how many times do I have to tear this thing apart?

I've been sewing on bassinet sheets to turn them into baby car seat covers for my little grandson. The holes where the straps go through is what I sew, like button holes. Turns out okay.

Please post pictures!

It is much more inspiring than no pictures.

Made 5 Halloween costumes. My boys wanted to bd penguins. I took them in costume to the aquarium to get their pics taken with the penguins. Adorable! The babies got to be starfish. They weren't amused, but they were warm!

Then I had the brilliant idea to get pics taken with my FIL before the season started. He's a professional Santa. So i made myself and my big girls skirts, the girls tops and one designed a jacket. I had to hand sew on a ton of white fur trim. Couldn't find pants that the five year old was specific on, so I made those too. Pics turned out adorable! My stranger fearing babies were only confused at Grandpa's outfit vs terrified.

Whipped up a cute Euro dress for a birthday gift. Birthday girl loved it! I need to make matching leggings. I got her measurements after the party. She is too thin and always wers ill fitting clothing.

I need to make a bunch of hoodies for my 5 yr old. He's outgrown his and he lives in them. I need to attach the hoods to the twins coats. They got stalled for Halloween costumes and then picture clothing.

I'm finishing up 2 quillows: one for my 4 yo and one for my little cousin (2 yo). I also need to do one for my youngest son and infant cousin, but probably not before Christmas. My grandmother made one for each of her grandkids and my eldest 4 kids. Unfortunately, she passed away before she could make one for my 4 yo. And my youngest and 2 little cousins were born after she passed away. I'm trying to keep up the tradition.

I also want to make my eldest son a cape or something similar. He'd probably like something with sleeves and a really nice Celtic style clasp. I haven't had the time to look for patterns and won't until after Thanksgiving as I'm swamped at work. Anyone have a good (& somewhat easy) pattern they'd recommend?

I'm finishing up 2 quillows: one for my 4 yo and one for my little cousin (2 yo). I also need to do one for my youngest son and infant cousin, but probably not before Christmas. My grandmother made one for each of her grandkids and my eldest 4 kids. Unfortunately, she passed away before she could make one for my 4 yo. And my youngest and 2 little cousins were born after she passed away. I'm trying to keep up the tradition.

I also want to make my eldest son a cape or something similar. He'd probably like something with sleeves and a really nice Celtic style clasp. I haven't had the time to look for patterns and won't until after Thanksgiving as I'm swamped at work. Anyone have a good (& somewhat easy) pattern they'd recommend?

Oh my gosh! Quillows! My grandma used to make those for all of us grandkids, they were especially handy for the looong car drives to go see them. Do you have a pattern you use? I'd love to make some for my kids & nephews!

Oh my gosh! Quillows! My grandma used to make those for all of us grandkids, they were especially handy for the looong car drives to go see them. Do you have a pattern you use? I'd love to make some for my kids & nephews!

I do! My grandmother's pattern isn't on the web as far as I know. I'll poke around and see if I can find something. As a less than accomplished sewer I find quillows pretty easy.

I am totally incredulous and jealous--you ladies make sewing seem so relaxing and fun.

My mother sewed a lot out of necessity.  I have not yet found inner zen in the process.

However, ulcers aside, I have sewn a lampshade and am sewing two covers, complete with piping and difficult curves, for a couple of side chairs I painted.

I just ordered an Oliver and S pattern to try for the first time. I read on a blog that these patterns are wonderful for teaching you to sew. I know how already and never enjoy it at all bc I find patterns complicated. Looking forward to seeing if this one is truly different.

Have you ever used a Kwik Sew pattern? They make sense , with easy to follow directions. I usually trace off the size pattern I wantto use and save the master pattern for future use.

I finally have my fall sewing projects done. I am planning out Christmas sewing. Two grand kids will be getting dress up clothes, princess and a knight. Probably will make a few cloth boxes with napkins. A friend of my dd wants stockings for her family of six. And I think there will be a few pairs of fleece pjs for at least one of the grandkids.

I just ordered an Oliver and S pattern to try for the first time. I read on a blog that these patterns are wonderful for teaching you to sew. I know how already and never enjoy it at all bc I find patterns complicated. Looking forward to seeing if this one is truly different.

These are my favorites: http://scientificseamstress.com If you join the Facebook group, she posts notices about sales. They're so clear and easy to follow!

I use her Easy Fits for pj pants, of which I need to make one for a friend for next week and 4 for my kids for Christmas jammies. I need to order that fabric...

These are my favorites: http://scientificseamstress.com If you join the Facebook group, she posts notices about sales. They're so clear and easy to follow!

I use her Easy Fits for pj pants, of which I need to make one for a friend for next week and 4 for my kids for Christmas jammies. I need to order that fabric...

Carla is great.  I am dating myself but she is still the same helpful person she was before she starting selling her patterns on youcanmakethis.com.

Carla is great. I am dating myself but she is still the same helpful person she was before she starting selling her patterns on youcanmakethis.com.

That's very cool! I think I found her patterns in the YCMT infancy or from the disboards of all random places. I've been using them for 10 years now. I pattern tested a couple long ago. :)