Menu

Funny observation about online classes

Rebel Yell

DIamond has one online class this semester- it was the only option for a required course.  She will likely have two next semester as well.  She does NOT like online classes. Her reason?  She says the teacher doesn't really teach anything- she just tells them what pages to read in the book and when to turn the assignments in. She says it's just like being homeschooled except now she has to pay for it. :glare:

I'm sure some online classes/teachers are better. Hopefully her classes/teachers next semester will be better.

And it's funny- I really thought my ultra-introvert would LOVE online classes since there are no people in them with her. :confused1:

But at least she has all that homeschool experience- reading the book, learning it on her own, and turning in the assignments. :coolgleamA:

I took all online classes this year, one this year, and plan one next semester. I love them, mainly because of the aspect she seems to dislike. I hate sitting through the "'wow, you all are better than your test grades indicate"' speech. Had 3 of those for mid-terms. I like campus classes for other reasons, but some dynamics drive me batty. 

I e-mailed my professors a lot last year. I met with one via office hours after taking his classes all year. There are ways to step out of that read, write, test stuff. But yeah, they are quite different than I thought. this forum is more active than most of my online classes from last year. 

No lecture of any kind?  

Nope. The class is "Business Communications" and all she has done/will do is read the assigned pages in the book and turn in the assignments on time. Very ironic that a "communications" class has so little communication!

It *is* nice that she can do the class whenever it suits her crazy schedule, rather than having to be in a room at 8am twice/week or whatever. Flexibility is GOOD!  But she is paying her way 100% and does not feel like she's getting her money's worth for this one. She's LEARNING stuff, but again- on her own. The "teacher" is barely necessary in this case.

Nope. The class is "Business Communications" and all she has done/will do is read the assigned pages in the book and turn in the assignments on time. Very ironic that a "communications" class has so little communication!

It *is* nice that she can do the class whenever it suits her crazy schedule, rather than having to be in a room at 8am twice/week or whatever. Flexibility is GOOD!  But she is paying her way 100% and does not feel like she's getting her money's worth for this one. She's LEARNING stuff, but again- on her own. The "teacher" is barely necessary in this case.

the class sounds quite under-developed, I have seen many online classes with significant lecture and many that had required discussion groups -  why don't they just call this one an 'independent study'

My experience of online CC classes was like that too. However, the online middle and high school classes that T takes have an actual class where the teacher and students meet using online meeting technology and interact. Most of these classes have the teacher talking through a power point presentation, students asking and answering questions in chat and occasionally having students do an example or short presentation. Personally, I think the online classes where there's an actual meeting are more efficient and interesting than live classes. There's much less administrative stuff since they meet once a week and have a webpage with all the assignment information. Students either actively participate or zone out, but they can't disrupt anyone else since they're not visible or audible most of the time.

the class sounds quite under-developed, I have seen many online classes with significant lecture and many that had required discussion groups -  why don't they just call this one an 'independent study'

Yes, one of my ongoing paying contracts involves teaching online professors how to put together a good online course with a variety of elements.  In this course they take their subject matter and come up with various assignments which I grade against formal criteria.  They do a discussion board assignment, an assignment where the students watch a video and do a short response question, an assignment requiring a short paper that is run through a plagiarism checker, etc.  Some of them got very creative and came up with assignments using the tools that were outstanding.  Yesterday I worked with a music professor to insert MP3's into his online tests so that the student listens to the clip, and then does a test question related to what they heard.

And another example.  My oldest is taking online college Spanish from a colleague of mine. It is very well done.  They have online discussions, watch Spanish videos where they have to write a summary, meet with the professor online to converse, record themselves answering certain questions and evaluate each other's responses, etc. etc.  This is in addition to the usual quizzes, midterm, and final.

So indeed, good online courses are going to be much more than pages read and assignments turned in.  

My dd's online classes have been great so far.  Geometry and Alg 2 with Jann in TX and Spanish with Gamache have definitely included plenty of instructional time.  Our only misfire with online learning was an asynchronous writing class dd took in 8th grade.  That did feel like just a list of assignments.  But it was a valuable and money saving lesson to learn before high school.  Asynchronous doesn't work for dd.  She wants/needs the interaction with teacher and peers.