Menu

Does anyone do Murderous Maths as a read-aloud?

Math has been fairly joyless here this semester. We're also busier that I anticipated--bad calibration on my part as a homeschool newbie.

I wonder if I can do the first two  Murderous Math as a read-aloud. Do I need to be very mathy in order to explain along? That's not what I want for sure. How do you do them? Thank you

Do you have one to look at? I would not want to read them aloud. It would be torturous for me. I think you could if you wanted to utilize a white board, enjoyed math, and were determined. I have the whole set and I'm not sure what the first ones are but everything I've looked at have a lot of formulas in them. 

Do you have one to look at? I would not want to read them aloud. It would be torturous for me. I think you could if you wanted to utilize a white board, enjoyed math, and were determined. I have the whole set and I'm not sure what the first ones are but everything I've looked at have a lot of formulas in them. 

No, I do not. I just ordered the original two. Do you assign chapters/sections then? many thanks

I don't assign them. They are there as fun reads for their free reading time. My DS likes them. My girls aren't ready for them yet. DS has been reading them since he was about 7 and my older girls are 10. I couldn't give an age recommendation. I think whether or not a person would like them or be ready for them depends on a combination of reading level, math abilities, and an interest in or enjoyment of more abstract mathematical thinking. I tried to have the girls read them last year and they were miserable and I don't think they learned anything. DS has learned a ton, though. 

We do. It has worked well. We've done all of Arithmetricks and Savage Shapes and parts of a few others. I'm not sure why it would be annoying to read them aloud. One cool thing is that some of them have a sort of "try this" in some chapters and we'll just stop and try it. I do keep a whiteboard on hand when reading them, but I keep a whiteboard on hand when reading history books and science and most nonfiction, so that doesn't seem weird or onerous to me.

My kids love being read to and only marginally like reading nonfiction for themselves (they enjoy fiction though). If they read these on their own, I can tell you just what ds would say... "I'm having trouble paying attention to what I read..." When I read them, we pause, discuss, I do silly voices. Ds loves them.

They are really high level math, just to note. I know they look like 3rd grade level reading, but a lot of the math is middle school level and up, so anyone looking at them should just keep that in mind.