Menu

Halloween/scary books for adults??

Chocolate Rose

There is a Kindle book, 999: New Stories of Horror and Suspense, that I have quite enjoyed. It is a collection of short stories and novellas and includes newer authors as well as some of the tried-and-true (Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and the like). I read all but one of the novellas (I just didn't like it and finally gave up) and am on the last story now. I bookmarked quite a few to re-read later because I enjoyed them so much. There were a few typos in a couple of the stories which was annoying but not bad enough to stop my reading. It is currently $3.79 on Amazon. Quite a bargain, imo.

Joe Hill also has quite a few short stories on Kindle that I stumbled upon recently (I thought I had read all his books then found these... that was a happy day). My favorite is By The Silver Water Of Lake ChamplainThere's also Twittering From The Circus Of The Dead , Wolverton Station, and Thumbprint. These are $0.99 each.

House of Leaves was terrifying to me. I'm glad you read it already! lol It was just so darned creepy. I think it's the oddest and scariest I've ever read and

I don't get as scared from books as I do from movies, so I'm not much help.

It was a VERY strange book and it still creeps me out when I think about it. At work, I was telling everyone about it on my break and showing them the book itself so they could see how it was written.

The Historian, Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, Neil Gaiman's books...What kind of scary are you looking for? Zombies, vampires, ghosts, murder, general creepiness?

Thanks for the titles. I've read some Gaiman.

I like all kinds of scary. Psychological scary is great, too. I've read a lot of zombie stuff recently - loved everything I read. I've read some vampire stuff. Yah, general creepiness is good, too.

I didn't realize that Miss Peregrine... was a scary book.

There is a Kindle book, 999: New Stories of Horror and Suspense, that I have quite enjoyed. It is a collection of short stories and novellas and includes newer authors as well as some of the tried-and-true (Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and the like). I read all but one of the novellas (I just didn't like it and finally gave up) and am on the last story now. I bookmarked quite a few to re-read later because I enjoyed them so much. There were a few typos in a couple of the stories which was annoying but not bad enough to stop my reading. It is currently $3.79 on Amazon. Quite a bargain, imo.

Joe Hill also has quite a few short stories on Kindle that I stumbled upon recently (I thought I had read all his books then found these... that was a happy day). My favorite is By The Silver Water Of Lake ChamplainThere's also Twittering From The Circus Of The Dead , Wolverton Station, and Thumbprint. These are $0.99 each.

I haven't done any e-reading as I prefer an actual book. I've read everything I could of J Hill that wasn't kindle. I really enjoy his writing.

Thanks, Incognito!!

Mrs Mungo, I have read Frankenstein and I think that may be it as far as classics. I'm thinking I'm really not in the mood for "classics" right now, though.

HP Lovecraft is probably not what you are thinking of when you think "classics." ;)

I didn't find the Miss Peregrine to be scary at all?

Some of Gaiman's short stories are scary.

Thanks for the titles. I've read some Gaiman.

I like all kinds of scary. Psychological scary is great, too. I've read a lot of zombie stuff recently - loved everything I read. I've read some vampire stuff. Yah, general creepiness is good, too.

I didn't realize that Miss Peregrine... was a scary book.

Zombies: Have you read the Walking Dead comics?  World War Z? Forest of Hands and Teeth?

I replied below about Miss Peregrine.  I think it's a great Halloween time read.  Creepy in a very dark carnival type way.  I like it.  

Asylum by Madeleine Roux is good.  I would put it in the creepy category, but it's YA and not TOO scary.  I would give it a try, though.  It's a quick read. 

HP Lovecraft is probably not what you are thinking of when you think "classics." ;)

I didn't find the Miss Peregrine to be scary at all?

Some of Gaiman's short stories are scary.

I put Miss Peregrine more in the creepy category.  It was definitely darker than I expected!  Hollow City is a bit more creepy-more gore, more psychological creepiness. 

Zombies: Have you read the Walking Dead comics?  World War Z? Forest of Hands and Teeth?

I replied below about Miss Peregrine.  I think it's a great Halloween time read.  Creepy in a very dark carnival type way.  I like it.  

Asylum by Madeleine Roux is good.  I would put it in the creepy category, but it's YA and not TOO scary.  I would give it a try, though.  It's a quick read. 

I put Miss Peregrine more in the creepy category.  It was definitely darker than I expected!  Hollow City is a bit more creepy-more gore, more psychological creepiness. 

I watch The Walking Dead (it's on in about 1 3/4 hours) but haven't read the books. Dd has them but has them with her at college.  Yep, I read WWZ, The Newsflesh series, Warm Bodies, etc.

I'll check out Forest of Hands and Teeth - never heard of it. Thanks for your thoughts on Miss Peregrine. I put her in my cart. Off to check out Asylum, too!

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman~minor creepiness but not really scary because it's more a coming of age novel. 

Vampires in the Lemon Grove~literary short stories. Some are mildly creepy. Some are depressing. Some are gothic horror. Some are absurdist humor. They're set all over the place too...Italy, Japan, the American Prairie. 

Let Me In~Swedish vampire horror. Definitely rated-R horror and contains some tough subjects (pedophila, bullying) and some light ones (first love, identity). The movie (Let the Right One In) is much lighter and kind of sweet actually. 

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman~minor creepiness but not really scary because it's more a coming of age novel. 

Vampires in the Lemon Grove~literary short stories. Some are mildly creepy. Some are depressing. Some are gothic horror. Some are absurdist humor. They're set all over the place too...Italy, Japan, the American Prairie. 

Let Me In~Swedish vampire horror. Definitely rated-R horror and contains some tough subjects (pedophila, bullying) and some light ones (first love, identity). The movie (Let the Right One In) is much lighter and kind of sweet actually. 

I've read both Ocean at the End of the Lane and Let Me In. I'll check out your 3rd suggestion. Thank you!