Menu

If this is true... Italian nurse accused of killing patients

creekland

If this story ends up being true (Italian nurse accused of killing up to 38 patients because she found them or their relatives annoying):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/italian-nurse-under-investigation-for-killing-up-to-38-patients-because-she-found-them-annoying-9793181.html

it would kind of send chills down my spine.

I guess the take away would be to always be nice to your nurse?

If this story ends up being true (Italian nurse accused of killing up to 38 patients because she found them or their relatives annoying):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/italian-nurse-under-investigation-for-killing-up-to-38-patients-because-she-found-them-annoying-9793181.html

it would kind of send chills down my spine.

I guess the take away would be to always be nice to your nurse?

And more than that! Not only do you have to be always be nice to the nurses when you are in hospital, but have to ensure that any relatives or visitors are as well? I would have to ban my family from visiting me.

Very sick.

I think the take away is there are psychos wherever you are. 

Definitely true, but nonetheless, pretty scary when they are in positions of life/death power.

This isn't new. Angels of mercy/death have been around for a long, long time. Usually in care taking positions. Often with very high death tolls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_Mercy_(criminology)

Harold Shipman.  Doctor.  250 dead (it is believed).

L

Ok, so you two have helped out my reluctance to do anything medical a lot with this info...  :ohmy:

And more than that! Not only do you have to be always be nice to the nurses when you are in hospital, but have to ensure that any relatives or visitors are as well? I would have to ban my family from visiting me.

I have a couple in my extended family who would have to be banned too!

What I don't get is that if colleagues knew that she deliberately gave laxatives to her patients before the end of shift to mess with the next shift's nurses, why that wasn't reported and dealt with severely?  I realize that's a lot milder than murder but you don't play games with patients and it would be a huge red flag about someone's mental health and professionalism.  

I can't think of a single person from my high school who planned to head into nursing that I'd worry about psychopathically.  There are a few I'd get concerned about if they have to do calculations (math), but none due to something like this.  Perhaps that's why the headline caught my eye.

What I don't get is that if colleagues knew that she deliberately gave laxatives to her patients before the end of shift to mess with the next shift's nurses, why that wasn't reported and dealt with severely?  I realize that's a lot milder than murder but you don't play games with patients and it would be a huge red flag about someone's mental health and professionalism.  

Either the orders were on file to give a laxative and she timed them to her advantage (and possibly upped their dosage without anyone's knowledge), or she slipped them to the patients illegally, and the staff only suspects she did this. 

Stool softeners are one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in a hospital. Almost everyone gets one. They are given once a day. I would guess she just chose an inconvenient time to give them. 

I have yet to see a scientific study on psychopathy and careers that did not have severe sampling problems. Maybe there is one?

Dunno. I suspect researching psychopathy as a morally neutral neurological topic is probably a fairly new concept. Research takes time, we're just in the infancy stage of the field of neurology, not to mention exploring the biology that explains socially abhorrent behaviors. Much of our attention as a society has been to seek justice (revenge), rather than seek understanding with regards to this kind of behavior. It wasn't long ago these things would have been simply attributed to sin, bad parenting, or bad breeding, and people would go about their day as if that settled it. 

Dunno. I suspect researching psychopathy as a morally neutral neurological topic is probably a fairly new concept. Research takes time, we're just in the infancy stage of the field of neurology, not to mention exploring the biology that explains socially abhorrent behaviors. Much of our attention as a society has been to seek justice (revenge), rather than seek understanding with regards to this kind of behavior. It wasn't long ago these things would have been simply attributed to sin, bad parenting, or bad breeding, and people would go about their day as if that settled it.

As a construct, the research goes back about 30 years.

There are plenty of recent books and blog posts and media about "everyday" psychopaths but much of the science behind the recent media blitzes is pretty shoddy. The sampling issues for the base rates is hugely problematic.

I am simply pointing out that I don't think the statement "Nursing is one of the careers least likely to attract psychopaths" is particularly meaningful.

With the right therapy, some day people might be able to improve their capacity to be more empathetic. Here is a recent study from Brazil that is interesting. 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140521180016.htm

Dan Goleman writes about how a sociopath's brain is different from others in his book Focus. Very interesting for anyone who wants to read about it. Here's a quote:

Instead of registering emotion in their brain's limbic centers, sociopaths show activity in the frontal areas, particularly the language centers. They tell themselves about emotions, but do not feel them directly as other people do; instead of a normal bottom-up emotional reaction, sociopaths "feel" top-down."

Bottom-up is the workings of the lower-brain and top-up refers to the activity that is mostly located within the neocortex. They operate in different ways.

With the right therapy, some day people might be able to improve their capacity to be more empathetic. Here is a recent study from Brazil that is interesting. 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140521180016.htm

The fact that people high on psychopathic traits could be induced or trained to empathize is not particularly new. Well, the fMRI neuroimaging piece of it is new. But is has been known for several decades that it is possible to focus empathy in certain situations.

The broader issue is whether the capacity to empathize is then used by such individuals when put in different situations. That's always the million dollar question. Does it generalize?

The fact that people high on psychopathic traits could be induced or trained to empathize is not particularly new. Well, the fMRI neuroimaging piece of it is new. But is has been known for several decades that it is possible to focus empathy in certain situations.

The broader issue is whether the capacity to empathize is then used by such individuals when put in different situations. That's always the million dollar question. Does it generalize?

Yes, I'm trying to point out that the results of the fMRI are new and show change in the neural activity, and that then, it might be possible to create a type of therapy that would be more effective. The study was done recently and I do not know of anything that's been done to answer your last question. Maybe down the road…?

Even if it generalizes, isn't this merely something that can be done to help people after it's discovered?

I'm not sure there's any way to stop a psychopath before they "become active," is there?  When does the switch turn on - when does the nurse/doctor (in these types of cases) discover they can truly use their knowledge to kill rather than to heal?

It's not even really the same as "mercy" killing when it's merely due to annoying patients and/or relatives IMO.

Or are folks suggesting that all teens/young adults be evaluated?  That would seem a bit extreme to me.

Even if it generalizes, isn't this merely something that can be done to help people after it's discovered?

I'm not sure there's any way to stop a psychopath before they "become active," is there?  When does the switch turn on - when does the nurse/doctor (in these types of cases) discover they can truly use their knowledge to kill rather than to heal?

It's not even really the same as "mercy" killing when it's merely due to annoying patients and/or relatives IMO.

Or are folks suggesting that all teens/young adults be evaluated?  That would seem a bit extreme to me.

It's too early to say what could be done but evaluations might not be necessary. Preventive therapies might be used. In this case, I'm thinking of some sort of mindfulness therapy like a tweaked version of the Kindness Curriculum that's being studied in Madison. Before doing anything, though, scientists would have to figure out what helps.

To give you an idea of a similar preventive program, our school district recently began using a type of mindfulness to help prevent depression and anxiety in teens (also available to parents). No one is evaluated. It's largely based on the work of Richard Davidson and colleagues. England has a similar program that's used in some schools, too, called .b.