Menu

Simple beginning sewing machine for 9 year old?

texasmama

My almost 9 yo dd has expressed an interest in a sewing machine for her upcoming birthday at the end of this month.

She loves to sew by hand, and I think she would use and enjoy a machine.  However, her mama does not have a machine and does not have any experience with one.  :)  So we need a very basic, inexpensive machine (not a toy, a real machine) that requires little assistance from an adult. 

Is there such a thing?  Help!

The nine year old here has an old Singer 99 converted to a hand crank and he loves it. If I were to buy him a new machine I would probably look at Janome's "Hello Kitty" machines - they get very good reviews.

Once you have it narrowed down you can have a look at sewing machine reviews on patter review.com.

eta if there is an Ikea near you, they now sell a very inexpensive machine that actually gets decent reviews.

Eta2 and your best bet might be a used/refurbished model at a trustworthy sewing machine repair store. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Years ago, when I was in a similar situation wanting a beginner machine, but one that would hold up for years, I went to my local sewing machine place and bought a beginner machine made by Husqvarna Viking.   Easy to use, not too heavy and has held up amazingly well.  Their HClass 100Q runs $300-$400, which might be more than you want to spend.  The Singer 7200 series runs about $150 and the 3200 series can be found for around $100.

I would definitely recommend some scouting trips to local sewing places to see what's out there today.

Thanks!  That gives me a place to start.

When looking at the Janome's Hello Kitty machines, I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Turbo-Portable-Sewing-Machine/dp/B00EA08LBG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1413051766&sr=8-6&keywords=janome+hello+kitty

It is inexpensive and gets pretty good reviews.  It comes in several different colors. 

What do you think?

This is the one I use as a student machine when I teach sewing classes. It doesn't have some of the nicer features so if she gets good at it she will want to upgrade, but it has solid functionality for a beginner.

That one is a similar price range and gets better reviews versus the one I was looking at.

Ikea has a sewing machine. It's adorable. I want one, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with my machine.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60208974/

She could probably figure it out on her own with YouTube videos. She'll likely use the straight and zigzag stitch 90% of the time and that's pretty easy to learn.

I've owned inexpensive machines my whole adult life and they've lasted a decade. I do utilitarian sewing . . . curtains, costumes, etc. You don't have to spend too much.

I would go to a sewing machine company or a place like Joannes and stalk with them. My only advice is not to buy a cheap toy if you think she will use it more than a week.

Definitely, this!!

I'd go to the nearest Joann's and get the most very basic "real" sewing machine they have.  Singer and Brother are both reliable brands.  All you really need for a beginner is the ability to change stitch length and bobbin tension, forward and reverse and a basic zig zag stitch.  Don't get her a toy machine, it will break very quickly and just discourage her.

Do you belong to a church?  Or even if you don't, look and see if a local church has a ladies sewing or quilting group.  Our church has a group of ladies that gets together once a week to make pot holders and such for an area mission.  That's how I learned how to sew.  Older ladies LOVE to pass down their skills and would be tickled to have her join them!

Thanks to all of you!

We are about an hour and a half from an Ikea, but I hate going there.  It's an all day field trip.  lol

I do not want a toy, for certain.  This is a crafty, creative girl who will likely keep up her interest in sewing.  I'm tired of getting a lot of plastic, cheap junk for the kids that is donated to the Goodwill in short order.

A ladies' sewing group is a good idea.  Our church doesn't have one, but I'll bet I can find one.

Yes, Janome has some models that are around $150 that are very, very good.  Look for a machine that has turtle speed/half speed.  It should sound very quiet when it sews.  It should start smoothly and quietly when you begin to sew and not growl and gurgle at you.  If it has those features, you'll probably be satisfied.

Don't worry about the cat pictures.  Go for the quality.  Obviously if your budget extends higher, pay more and get as nice a machine as you can afford.  You can even watch Craigslist and sometimes find a nice machine used.  I know someone who got a really sweet Pfaff that way.  Any of the major brands will be good.  My dd sews on a Bernina that is now probably 35 years old and it sews like new.  Actually, it got warranted repairs a few years ago.   :lol:   Sew for the money, I'd rather have a $600 machine that is 35 years old but built like a tank.  But go with what you can find.  The new machines have drop-in bobbins, are self-oiling, etc.