Menu

How Do You Feel About...Prefilled Communion Cups?

The common cup is a chalice made from silver, which is antibacterial/antiviral and kills germs. The wine has to be a certain strength, there is a rule, and I forget what the exact percentage is but it is strong, so that it kills germs as well. But you can always dip if you want. The fact of the matter is you are way more likely to contract a cold or other disease from shaking hands during the peace or after church than you are to get sick from drinking from the chalice.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The common cup is a chalice made from silver, which is antibacterial/antiviral and kills germs. The wine has to be a certain strength, there is a rule, and I forget what the exact percentage is but it is strong, so that it kills germs as well. But you can always dip if you want. The fact of the matter is you are way more likely to contract a cold or other disease from shaking hands during the peace or after church than you are to get sick from drinking from the chalice.

How do you know? I think that putting your mouth on something that 50 other people have put their mouth on is a good way to get strep. Ick. Might as well lick shopping carts.

How do you know? I think that putting your mouth on something that 50 other people have put their mouth on is a good way to get strep. Ick. Might as well lick shopping carts.

Alcohol is the active ingredient in hand sanitizer, it is just like the cup being drenched in hand sanitizer and you swigging hand sanitizer. Germs can't live in that. There have been studies that show that people that drink from the cup do not get sick any more often than those that do not participate at all. They compared people that attend and drink from the common cup, those that don't drink but attend, and those that don't attend church at all. Immunologists have studied this, as it was a big deal during the initial scare of HIV, and also during a few of the flu epidemics.

Only if the shopping cart is made of a metal that is germ resistant and the cart is bathed in alcohol first.

Alcohol is the active ingredient in hand sanitizer, it is just like the cup being drenched in hand sanitizer and you swigging hand sanitizer. Germs can't live in that. There have been studies that show that people that drink from the cup do not get sick any more often than those that do not participate at all. They compared people that attend and drink from the common cup, those that don't drink but attend, and those that don't attend church at all. Immunologists have studied this, as it was a big deal during the initial scare of HIV, and also during a few of the flu epidemics.

Hmmmm....

Still not for me. No way, no how.

Sheldon, on top of all the scientific reasons AND care of the parishioners, there is the aspect of Faith ;) The RC and EO view the Eucharist very differently than most Protestants...this plays a role also on how we fear or don't fear the "ickiness" of sharing a common cup ;)

Yep. Been a liturgical Christian my whole life; the idea of little "communion cups" is utterly, bone-deep foreign to me. Not for me, no way.:001_smile:

If I remember correctly from graduate school, to kill viruses, the level of alcohol must be above 50%. Everclear is the grain alcohol of choice if rubbing alcohol is not available. I believe the highest wine goes is 14%. Not enough to kill bugs unless it is gnats that fall in.

Sheldon, on top of all the scientific reasons AND care of the parishioners, there is the aspect of Faith ;) The RC and EO view the Eucharist very differently than most Protestants...this plays a role also on how we fear or don't fear the "ickiness" of sharing a common cup ;)

I know. I will just try not to think about it :001_smile:

Very true. I can't imagine God getting me sick that way. Not ever. Maybe that is why the studies show people don't get sick from it.

Other Priest tells dh, "By the way, tho' we normally use grape juice for Communion, we just use water for weddings, so that any spills won't stain the Bride's dress."

Dh replies,

"I'm good, but I'm not THAT good!" :lol::lol:

(get it? He can't turn water into wine...)

Oh that's great! :lol:

If I remember correctly from graduate school, to kill viruses, the level of alcohol must be above 50%. Everclear is the grain alcohol of choice if rubbing alcohol is not available. I believe the highest wine goes is 14%. Not enough to kill bugs unless it is gnats that fall in.

I love microbiology so this was a real sticking point for me. It wasn't until I actually received my first eucharist that it dawned on me that the gold of the spoon is also an antibacterial/antiviral.

I still planning on sitting towards the front so I am one of the first to go.

My faith has a lot of room to grow! :D

I actually double checked, and there are multiple studies on this going back to the 1920's, and the common cup has not been shown to spread disease. God, silver, wine, the fact that most diseases are spread from nasal secretions not saliva, who knows. But whatever it is, it seems to be perfectly safe.

Now don't get me started on the play area at the science museum, we get sick every time we visit there! But not from church, as far as I can tell.