Menu

Non-jeans pants for 12 year olds

Haiku

We haven't bought them, but loose pattern pants are really popular this year.  They sort of look like pj pants.  I can't believe it's a real trend, but my 16 yo dd says everyone is wearing them!  They do look comfy!

http://www.hm.com/us/product/27921?article=27921-E&cm_mmc=pla-_-us-_-ladies_trousers_loose-_-27921&gclid=CjwKEAjwtIShBRD08fKD1OWSik4SJAAuKLov4XB_oLUYVEIoG7FnfbX0k8Ftotq338tWlHG1cFEYBRoCfDvw_wcB#article=27921-D

DD13 really likes the leggings that are popular this year.  We picked up a couple of pair at Aerie with really bright patterns.  They were High Rise leggings and that made them very comfortable.  For the record, it's chilly here and she wears them with a couple of long tanks in layers (think mid-thigh) and a hoodie.

She really likes the yoga pants (boot cut or flare) from Old Navy but we haven't been able to find any in short for her to try on lately.

Do you belong to Costco? We have several pairs of yoga type capris, and Dd wears them almost daily. They have held up wonderfully, go with anything and can be dressed up or down. She wears a 14/16 and the womens size small fit perfectly.

Otherwise, she has several pairs of jeggings from Kohls in various colors. She also has a few pairs of lightweight khaki color/style capris from American eagle that we picked up from a thrift store. She really likes these and wears them in all seasons except for winter.

How tall is she?  Does she wear more like kid sizes or juniors?

Costco has nice quality women's leggings right now. Not sure if they have an xs that would fit her.

Agree with the drapey pants with elastic at the ankles.  They have a lot of patterns and so forth.  I don't know if she'd like that, but they are definitely popular right now and very comfy.  They can also be dressed up or down depending on the top and shoes.  Try googling for "track pants."  These are sort of drapey with a drawstring and then usually elasticized ankles.  Might not be her thing, but they are comfy and not jeans, and on point fashion wise if she cares about that.

I just got DD some yoga pants at The Gap, and she loves them.

Also, they have sweatpants and yoga pants at PS (the kids version of Aeropostale) that she really liked.

I've found sizing to be inconsistent from store to store; DD is pretty curvy in the bottom so it's essential that she try them all on.

We've found some amazing athletic fabric pants (but they're more structured) at TJ Maxx. They're really nice and have pockets and a real waistband but they're very soft with a dry fit kind of fabric. They look really sharp. Academy sporting goods and Dicks have similar athletic fabrics but in actual structured pants.

I got some Champion brand athletic pants at Target.  Some of their styles are booty-hugging, but they have others that drape.  I think they were called C3.  The fabric is really nice.  They come in XS, and in different lengths (short, regular, tall).  

We also like Lands' End yoga pants, and have been getting them for years.  

I don't know what size your daughter wears, but Gymboree carries sizes up to 12, and they have yoga pants.  Check out their sales online.

My 10 yr old likes Jeggings or treggings which are often not actually denim but a nice soft knit fabric that aren't clingy. She likes the Lands end yoga pants too. Another option could be the  Boden's trousers. They do slimmer fit sweatpants and also often have really comfy flannel'sweat baggies. They might be back as the winter stuff arrives.