Menu

American Girl challenge on Project Runaway tonight!

unsinkable

The new Amercian Girl iteration..BeForever...has outfits "inspired by" the historical era dolls.

It looks like that is the designers' challenge tonight, to make an outfit inspired by a doll.

Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnndddddddddd!!!!!

Elizabeth Moss from West Wing and Mad Men is a guest judge!!!

I'm a dork, I know. But DD and I are so excited.

I'm sorry that the person who went home went home. :( What she made was horrible this time, but she was sort of my favorite. Oh well.

I liked her but I think Kini is my favorite lately. It was sad this week, esp the scene in the apartment. :-(

DD and I were hoping they wouldn't critique the outfits in front of the little girls but they did. They weren't too brutal but some of the girls looked a bit confused.

I'm glad the person who went home did go. She was terribly disrespectful of her critique. I don't like her style at all.

Kini (?) is my absolute favorite and I hope he wins it all. His sewing skills are amazing. I haven't seen skills like that since Christian Seriano. He's a BIG designer to the stars now.

This outfit was horrible so while I love her bizarre aesthetic usually I thought it was fair, but how is saying, "I disagree" and then thanking them for the experience anything like "terribly disrespectful"?

I also loved the little sweater that they hated.

perhaps not "terribly" disrespectful but it did come across as dismissive.  It seemed like she was not going to listen to constructive criticism.  I wonder if all her wins in the beginning, after Tim G. was giving her criticism about her aesthetic, actually hindered her in the end.   I mean if someone says..."think about your color choices and design." (or however they say it), but you go with it anyway and then the judges reward you, you're going to stop listening to the nay sayers.  

I thought it just sounded like her standing behind her design. If she hadn't they would have been down on her for that too. I think her color palette and many of her influences really are coming from her culture, so it doesn't surprise me that they don't always get it. I think she just struggled to find any sense of camaraderie or mentorship, probably because her life experience was so different.

I thought it just sounded like her standing behind her design. If she hadn't they would have been down on her for that too. I think her color palette and many of her influences really are coming from her culture, so it doesn't surprise me that they don't always get it. I think she just struggled to find any sense of camaraderie or mentorship, probably because her life experience was so different.

I think really it isn't what she said, it was how she did it that came across dismissive.  I also think someone can own up to any mistakes they made while still standing behind their design.  I agree that I think culture played a part.  Some people can just rub others the wrong way without it being anything specific.  It's just too bad it happened to her.

I don't think it was necessary to continually say "I disagree" when she was critiqued. I'm sure the panel has given critique to others that they disagreed with too. Accepting criticism graciously without feeling the need to "assert yourself" every second is a lesson in humility and growth. If she can't suck it up for one minute, how is she ever going to learn anything? She came across really arrogant to me. She is not perfect. There is always room for growth or even room for other opinions. The exchange was ugly and uncomfortable to watch, IMHO.

Maybe it's just my southern ways, I don't like "back-talk," LOL. But the design was awful, so there wasn't much choice other than to send her home.

It also hurt my mom-heart for them to critique the clothes in front of the little girls, but I guess that's how the show goes. They were quite gentle though. If Michael Kors had still been there, one of those poor girls would have run away crying. He is ruthless!

It was a great episode.