Menu

Recs for learning how to use my DSLR?

CAmomof4

I dutifully purchased a DSLR when my first DC was born, and later, a newer one.  Never learned how to use them.  I bought a couple of how-to manuals (both heavily recommended by reviewers on Amazon), and they were both way too complex.

I just want to know how to use the camera to take everyday-type photos.  I'd love to know which lenses are good options for beginners.  I'm not looking, at this point, for how to do photography (lighting, composition, etc.).  I can progress to that type of thing later!

I did try to find a helpful blog a couple of times, but that always just ends up wasting several hours of my day with nothing really concise found.  Would like to find a useful book, or maybe even an online tutorial or class, if it's reasonably priced - something I can do at night after the kids are in bed.

Anyone have a good recommendation?

I have a Canon Rebel, if it matters.

TIA!

If you're not really interested in the undertaking of "learning" photography but want to take better pictures I suggest getting a prime lens and using aperture priority mode. You'll be able to take sharply focused pictures in lower light. If you share what camera body you have I can make some suggestions. :)

Honestly, buy a point and shoot and do some studying on lighting, composition, framing etc.  Take lots of pictures and look at what you like and don't like.  If you then decide you want to learn a DSLR you will be more motivated to do it.  I have Nikon DSLR and a Nikon point and shoot and I can get really good pictures with both because I have learned what it takes to get a good picture.

Do you even want to get to the manual modes? Or do you want to keep it on the green box where the camera does the technical work for you?

Are you asking more for how to take a creative picture rather than the technical side?

For example, for kid pictures pretty much ALWAYS squat down so that you're level with them. Taking a picture from an adult height down isn't very good for kid pictures.

In fact, getting low can work for many, many pictures. I belong to a Photo Club and we always joke that by the time a person has been to two meetings, they'll be on the floor in some way. If you're a photographer than this picture is just hilarious: http://www.fan-tas-tic.com/evolution-photographers/

So, please let me know: do you want technical info so you can move to the manual settings on the camera? Or do you want ideas on how to compose the pictures (like getting low for kid pix)? Getting different lenses will really only matter after you know how to compose the picture.

Be careful when getting lenses. I got a 50mm prime lens for my camera, but the body cannot auto focus it. I have to manually focus it. That's a pain even for me and I'm a committed photographer type person. Someone who just wants pix of the family will go batty trying to manually focus one of those.

So, before buying be very careful that whatever lens you get can auto focus with the body you have.

Ok, I should clarify.  I have some basic knowledge (basic, I admit) about composition, etc.  I took a photography course in college (about 12 yrs ago!) that discussed those elements, and I have found lots of that info online as well.  I have pretty good variety in my shots, and I am able to attempt some "artistic" shots, but when I do, I am not happy with the result - i.e. the focus is off, or there is an issue with the flash, etc.  It's more the camera specifically that I am not using correctly.  I have no idea what happened to the manual when we moved.  I can see tips online - "set your aperture to..." but I do not know how to do that!  The weird symbols on the camera are nothing like how I used to do it on my manual film camera back in photog class.

Also, my DDs are in soccer and the basic lens that came with the camera is not adequate to get close-up shots of them during their games.

I am not looking to buy another camera right now.  DH has a fairly expensive P&S that he uses for work, and I did try that too, but the camera on my phone takes way better pics than that one does.

Thanks for all the good recommendations!

Thanks! It's an XSi.

This camera takes excellent photos in automatic mode. It also has little pictures to choose for close ups (the flower), portraits, and sports shots (quicker shutter speed and multiple shots). You should never have to manually set it except in extreme environments. The only time I have had to set mine manually is for competition dance photos because the lighting is so bizarre on stage, but so dark in the audience.

Just enjoy your camera as is.

(I did buy a 300f zoom lens with a killer stabilizer when my husband swore there were no alligators on our island, I was not going close enough to one to prove him wrong. Lol)

I know I'm not answering the question you asked (at least not first), but for practical, basic, immediate-improvement difference in your photos, I really recommend anything by Nick Kelsh (How to Photograph Your Baby, How to Photograph Your Life). (They basically all have the same info -- valuable info, but you really only need one book to get it!)

As to lenses -- well, to my way of thinking, there are two routes you can take. Route 1: what I did. Get a low-end telephoto (like 70 -300) and a low-end zoom (say, 28-70) and work them. Play with them. See what *could* be. Enjoy what you get, and have enough glass to get just about anything you want.

Eventually, after lots of practice, if you ever wake up one day and say, "I'm glad I can get that picture, but that's not good enough anymore. If I'm going to GET that picture, I want it to be GOOD," (good not in composition, or in lighting, but good as in better than what the lens you're using can deliver), then decide to a) get rid of them and get the ONE good lens you can afford, and limit your *serious* picture-taking to things that that lens can handle, or b) if money's not an object, replace them all with good lenses.

Of course, the problem with good lenses is that there are always better ones! :-)

Route 2: Start with one, good, solid mid-range workhorse. Honestly there are some good ones that fit that description that won't break the bank. A mom photographing her kids just doesn't need the kind of glass that a pro on the NFL sidelines does, you know? And yet you can still definitely get photos worth blowing up LARGE, printing on canvas and hanging on your wall.

Just know going in that if you get a really good portrait-range lens, you aren't going to get enlargement-quality photos of that bald eagle 200 yards away, KWIM?

Also, people can really be lens-snobs, but there are some really good "off-brand" lenses (i.e. not Canon for a Canon camera). Tamron makes some really good lenses.

Before you can really pick a *good* lens, though, you have to decide what a *good* lens is to you. What kind of pictures do you want to take? Or, more importantly, what do you envision the important-to-you picture being? Some keywords to think about (and use for internet searches!) might be: walkaround, portrait, all around, universal. Or maybe otoh landscape, nature. Search reviews for how a lens does in low light, and bright light. Do you plan to just do natural light photography? (That's what I'd recommend.)

Have fun shooting!

Several replies and your response came in while I was typing the tome above. So I'd adjust my info a bit to add: books by Scott Kelby, and I'd think you probably want a walk-around/univeral/all-around lens that's quick enough for some action shots.

But I also think you might want to spend more time with the lens already on the camera body, using the Kelsh or Kelby books or a class or something, and just pushing what the camera as-is can do.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Clickinmoms yet!  :)  Head over there and you can sign up for one of their intro level classes.  Study-along is usually $150 and a full participation class is $300.  At that level, honestly the study-along is just fine.  

Yes, the manual for your camera is available online as a pdf to download.  You need someone to walk you through basic settings.  The terms are pretty much the same across the brand (canon uses the same terms for all their models, nikon uses the same terms for their models) so the teacher in a newbie class will usually say both terms and you figure it out on your camera.  

You would need quite a bit of zoom to get a child playing sports.  Moms I know who do that take something like a 24-105.  Or they'll even go longer (200 or 300).  That's all budget obviously.

Try Clickinmoms and see if it does what you're wanting.  I posted a link ages ago to free lessons on Two Peas in a Pod.  

Just as a point of observation, you're going to be a lot faster if you use aperture priority mode.  

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Clickinmoms yet!   :)  Head over there and you can sign up for one of their intro level classes.  Study-along is usually $150 and a full participation class is $300.  At that level, honestly the study-along is just fine.  

YES.  This is very good.  Thank you!!