Menu

Are there any deals on Lego EV3?

I've not seen any deals on the education version, but last year Walmart offered a giftcard with purchase of the home version thru them.  I think Lego website also offers bonus points days occasionally, and I think a small % off on Black Friday.  Deals on Lego sets are hard to come by!

Are there really two version? I only see one on amazon.

Bummer re HSBC-- I need to buy soon, but I hope the info helps the other posters here who have until Christmas.

The stores carry the retail set. The education set is sold at Lego Education and was in the recent HSBC sale.

If you google, there are many webpages explaining the hardware and software differences between these sets.

ETA:

We have the education set and my boys want the sensors that are only in the retail set for Christmas. The local FLL teams use the education set.

Bummer re HSBC-- I need to buy soon, but I hope the info helps the other posters here who have until Christmas.

Yes, there are two different versions.  The EV3 31313 and the Educational EV3 45544.  There are differences and I'm not sure what all they are, you can search on line for detailed info.  I do know that a friend's ds who has participated in FLL club (Robotics) compared the two and chose the educational set since it could do so much more as far as programming.  He felt the regular set that is sold at Walmart, Amazon, etc wasn't as challenging as far as what he was used to programming etc.  The educational set it more money though. 

I'm really hoping it goes on sale again before Christmas through HSBC.  May be wishful thinking! 

Yes, there are two different versions.  The EV3 31313 and the Educational EV3 45544.  There are differences and I'm not sure what all they are, you can search on line for detailed info.  I do know that a friend's ds who has participated in FLL club (Robotics) compared the two and chose the educational set since it could do so much more as far as programming.  He felt the regular set that is sold at Walmart, Amazon, etc wasn't as challenging as far as what he was used to programming etc.  The educational set it more money though. 

I'm really hoping it goes on sale again before Christmas through HSBC.  May be wishful thinking! 

This is very helpful. I think the thing that makes the educational set more expensive is the software. The core set is the same price as the amazon, etc. set. Am I missing something? Also, the Lego educational website is so so slow.

I think the thing that makes the educational set more expensive is the software. The core set is the same price as the amazon, etc. set. Am I missing something? .

Quoted from robotsquare

"If you have the Education Core Set (#45544), you may still want to build the robots of the Home Edition set (#31313), the 12 bonus robots, or robots from books about the Home Edition set. To do so, you’ll need to purchase separately the Infrared Sensor and the Infrared Beacon, as well as certain Technic building elements."

"Similarly, if you have the Home Edition set (#31313), you may still want to build the robots of the Education Core Set (#45544). To do so, you’ll need to purchase separately the Ultrasonic Sensor and the Gyroscopic Sensor, as well as certain Technic building elements"

Link http://robotsquare.com/2013/11/25/difference-between-ev3-home-edition-and-education-ev3/

Quoted from robotsquare

"If you have the Education Core Set (#45544), you may still want to build the robots of the Home Edition set (#31313), the 12 bonus robots, or robots from books about the Home Edition set. To do so, you’ll need to purchase separately the Infrared Sensor and the Infrared Beacon, as well as certain Technic building elements."

"Similarly, if you have the Home Edition set (#31313), you may still want to build the robots of the Education Core Set (#45544). To do so, you’ll need to purchase separately the Ultrasonic Sensor and the Gyroscopic Sensor, as well as certain Technic building elements"

Link http://robotsquare.com/2013/11/25/difference-between-ev3-home-edition-and-education-ev3/

Thanks, my husband sent me that link. It seems you prefer the home edition? I just don't know which one works best for FLL competition. Does the home edition come with the license, or do I have to purchase that separately? Thanks!

. It seems you prefer the home edition? I just don't know which one works best for FLL competition. Does the home edition come with the license, or do I have to purchase that separately?

I have the NXT home edition and EV3 education edition. The education edition is the one use as the base set for FLL. You don't need a license for the home edition. Just download from Legos at below link.

http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/downloads/software/ddsoftwaredownload/

I received a license for the EV3 education set with the set.

I get Lego technic parts from garage sales to supplement the sets.

I have the NXT home edition and EV3 education edition. The education edition is the one use as the base set for FLL. You don't need a license for the home edition. Just download from Legos at below link.

http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/downloads/software/ddsoftwaredownload/

I received a license for the EV3 education set with the set.

I get Lego technic parts from garage sales to supplement the sets.

We have the NXT home edition as well and trying to decide what to get for our FLL team. I don't see a price difference between the EV3 education and EV 3 home edition, unless one buys the education bundled with the license pack.

. I don't see a price difference between the EV3 education and EV 3 home edition, unless one buys the education bundled with the license pack.

The education set doesn't come with the software license. So you need to get the bundle unless you already own a software license for EV3.

The NXT motors and sensors can be used on EV3. My kids use my iPhone or iPod as a remote controller for the EV3.