Menu

Lesson plans related to Mt. Washington Cog Railway

Has anyone here ever taken their kids on the Mt. Washington Cog Railway in NH? We are planning a trip to New England next month and I think this railway would be super cool, BUT I know that it could end up being a disastrous waste of over $200 (me + grandma + 3 kids) if my kids aren't prepped well for it. Last fall (before we were homeschooling) we did the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, and one of my kids in particular (age 6 at the time) just hated it. It was boring, it was cold, he was hungry, there wasn't much to do at the end of the line (besides stand in the loooooooong line for the bathroom) before we went back, he was tired, whine whine complain complain I never want to do this again. I really think that with the right preparation, he might have enjoyed it...but it was frankly much different from what I had expected, resulting in poor preparation.

How can I make this (the cog) a fun learning experience, instead of a cold, boring afternoon of whining?

My kids' ages are 9, 7 and 3. All boys.

I see some ideas on their website for how a trip up Mt. Washington can supplement lessons in science, math and history: http://www.thecog.com/cog_field_trip.php. Looks like topics could include green energy, solar power, climate, geology, physics, standard/metric conversions, geometry, the Industrial Revolution etc. 

But my question, as a brand new homeschooling mom (been doing it for a week now, lol!), is what are some engaging lessons or "units" I can do beforehand on one or more of these topics, to give my kids context for what they will see/hear on their way up and at the top of the mountain? Any curriculum suggestions? Age-appropriate books we could read together on these topics? I'm not very good yet at putting things together myself.

Also, does anyone have an idea for some sort of "learning mission" they could do at the top, during the hour that we're up there?

Thanks.

If you're up there with kids that age, make sure to make a stop at Storyland.  We used to go to Storyland every year - my kids are teens now and still nostalgic about it!  Great little amusement park - all the rides can be ridden by even the little kids, but they're not all little kid rides, if that makes any sense.  But no big thrill rides.

I've never done the railway myself - I've climbed Mt. Washington on foot, and we've driven the car up.  There's a weather station on the top, and I think a place to get snacks?  Other than that, yeah, wander around on the big boulders and look at the beautiful views!  I think in the weather station there are panorama maps that tell you what the various peaks are called.

At the Ecotarium in Worcester there's a fun little exhibit that has a virtual drive up Mt. Washington and talks about how you go through 2-4 Biomes on the way up and what they are and what kinds of different plants and animals are in them - but I'm guessing Worcester would be a bit out of your way...!

No unit study ideas, but definitely plan on bringing a lot of warm clothes even it's sunny and mild down below. The weather is drastically different on top of the mountain--you'll need winter hats and gloves and fleece coats. No joke.

I really can't imagine any kid not getting a huge thrill going up, unless they are scared of heights. It's not for the faint of heart (and driving is much, much worse).

It is almost impossible for a trip up the cog to not be educational. There is a fantastic cog history museum that has hilarious photos of men riding down the mountain on shovels, information about the building of Jacob's Ladder, and hands on activities for the kids explaining the physics of cogs.

Have a discussion about historic coal vs. biodiesel and let your child pick which one to ride. Check out the Mt. Washington weather observatory online and have your kids decide how you should dress. Ask for a scavenger hunt form at the base and play along. Sit close to the brakeman and listen closely. They give a lot of information about the train's history and technology, and are willing to answer any and all questions. Have a competition to see who can stand the "straightest" (in line with the car not gravity) while the train is at a steep angle. Read about Mount Washington's record setting wind and visit the weather exhibit on top. Hand the kids all cameras and have your own landscape photography contest.

Books:

The Cat in the Clouds - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1596296801/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1596296801&linkCode=as2&tag=libhilhou-20&linkId=Z256W46NLSTPWGEU

Weather forecasting experiments for kids - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824968239/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0824968239&linkCode=as2&tag=libhilhou-20&linkId=23JCAW7WGXANJ7CY

Oh, and if the kids aren't already into geocaching or letterboxing this is a great place to get started.

We haven't done the cog, but we spend a week every summer in that area. I highly recommend the Mt. Washington Observatory Weather Discovery Center in North Conway. My kids and nephews nieces love it and always want to go back. It has a nice movie on the observatory and the science of wind, and a great exhibit about using wind to navigate boats where you have to choose which way to make the wind blow to navigate a boat into a dock - the whole family can do that together, with each person taking one side of the exhibit to control the wind from their direction. You can be in and out in an hour, but there's plenty to learn in there, and it's free. If you decide to do the cog, it might be a good first stop for a science introduction to the area and its weather.

There is also a scenic railway in North Conway that is much less expensive and offers shorter rides that might work better for your 3 year old. We did that the first time up there when our kids were 2 and 5. There is no stop on that one and there are both short and long options.

I also totally agree that if you have the time and are in that area, you MUST do Storyland!!

This is my neighborhood so I guess I'll add some input :)  I've actually never been on the Cog or to the top of Mt. Wash despite living in the area and within sight of the mountain my whole life! I hike with my kids a lot (we are working on the 4000 footer list) but haven't done Mt. Wash yet. I've heard its a zoo up there in the summer and there is even a line to take an official summit photo but it is def. a peak I need to climb sooner then later!

Anyway, if you do go ahead with the train ride I'd second the advice to dress in layers. By this time next month there could very well be a few inches of snow up there even if it's still in the 50s down here. Also plan for lots of other visitors around that time (Columbus day weekend) peak leaf peeper time for the area! Storyland is a cool spot but it closes Columbus Day and as of Labor Day is only open Sat and Sun (same with lots of attractions around here, just a heads up). The Conway Railroad would be something I'd also suggest, I've never done it but it looks cool. Some other things I'd recommend in the area (all really close to the Cog) are the AMC center which has a cool play area and lots of info on hikes nearby, a visit to the Mt. Washington Hotel which is on the same road and a historic hotel of America, has a lot of old pictures around inside and they give hotel tours everyday at 10 and 3. Also the nearby ski mountain (which is also owned by the same company as the hotel, Cog etc) has free chairlift rides to the top of the small mt. and a restaurant at the top.

As far as lessons leading up to your visit the book Cat in the Clouds we have read and I'd recommend. Just as a heads up though the book was written a few years ago so the cat in the book isn't a resident of the Observatory anymore. Another thing to study might be the different plants you can find up there in the alpine zone. It's good to teach kids to respect the foot paths and not step on any vegetation, they have a hard enough job just trying to live up there :)

Have fun on your trip and enjoy the area whatever you decide to do!

I have done the cog, driven up, and hiked up.  All cool.  I don't have any lesson plan ideas.  BUT, do not wear anything on your outer-most layer that you would be heartbroken if it got stained.  The soot from the engine can sometimes blow into the passenger areas and can stain clothing.  I was wearing a yellow rain jacket when we went and this happened to me.  It was not a treasured item so I was not upset but I could see being quite upset if it had been some of my more expensive technical items.  

If you are going to be in the white mountains also go to the Flume. You have to pay to get in, but it is stunning. The basin is a nice free hike too. The weather observatory was fun. There is so much to do in that area. The Polar Caves are up near Plymouth.Storyland, Santa's Village, The Trading Post all lots of fun.

You might consider making it into a weather/water and geology focus. The Flume and the Basin are both results of water coming down from the mountains wearing away at the rocks. You might also see mini waterfalls along the way to Mt. Washington. Water comes down the sides of the mountain forming news paths.

Discuss what kinds of rocks/minerals are found in the NH mountains. Granite and mica are everywhere.

I would also discuss weather. Do a compare and contrast between Mt. Washington and where you live, coldest day, hottest day, how high above sea level, how much rain, how much snow. You could have your kids write a paragraph or make a graph.

I would also bring a sketchbook and pencils too. Let them journal their trip.

You will also see the impact weather has on the landscape. Many of the trees have bare branches up to roughly 2-4 feet sometimes. This is a result from ice storms, heavy snow and animals searching for food.

You could also add in local wildlife studies such as moose, large cats, loons, whitetail deer, raccoons.

The leaves should also be changing soon, if they haven't already started. You could collect different types of leaves and discuss why there are so many colors, why the leaves change, and what makes New England leaves so unique. Growing up in NH there was an article in the newspaper that China was the only other place with that many colors. It would also be interesting if you collect leaves from different  places in New England and compare them.

Sorry for the tangent, but I love NH!

Thanks for all the advice! I'm beginning to think that we're really going to wish we had more time in NH. I was wondering...given that we only have about a day and a half there (driving from VT the morning of the 12th and staying south of Conway for 2 nights), what should I prioritize? I was thinking of doing the Cog on the 12th, then continuing on down to where we are staying and then laying low on the 13th. But we *could* add an outing on the 13th.

Should I forget about the Cog and do one of the other things mentioned above? Or go ahead with the Cog but add one of your suggestions?

If you are up for doing two outings than do two. Maybe you could have the second outing be closer to where you are staying?

Just one other unit study you could do would be authors Rudyard Kipling in VT, Nathaniel Hawthorne in NH and MA and the authors who lived in Concord, MA, like Louisa May Alcott. All of them wrote children's books.

Oh man, this is so hard! Too much to fit in!

I'm thinking the two can't miss options are the Cog and Storyland (the Flume sounds really great too, but since we're traveling with my mom in her 70s, I think the "less active" options are probably better for this trip).

So here are the possibilities as I see it:

1. Leave Vermont morning of the 12th, stop along the way and do the Cog. Overnight at Purity Springs Resort south of Conway. Visit Storyland on the 13th (Columbus Day, the last day they are open) and have a nice full day there.

Pro: full day at Storyland.

Con: don't get to do the Weather Discovery Center.

2. Leave Vermont morning of the 12th, get to Storyland by noonish and spend the rest of the day there. Visit the Mt. Washington Weather Discovery Center morning of the 13th, then go on up and do the Cog that afternoon.

Pro: Get to do the Weather Discovery Center.

Con: only 1/2 day at Storyland and danger of my kids turning on me on the 13th because they would rather go back to Storyland than ride some dumb train (which, no matter how cool it is, will NOT be cool if they get it in their heads that it's not cool).

What do you think?

Which one is closer to the resort? And how about using storyland for motivation? If they do a good job on the cog the next day they can go to storyland?

For me the Weather Station is optional. Great if you make it, but not necessary if you only have two days.

It sounds like Storyland and the cog would be a perfect balance between fun and educational.

Does anyone know of a place in either New Hampshire or Vermont where you ride in little carts that go up a hill/mountain on a track, around and back down.  Each cart only holds one or two people and are low to the ground.  It may be a ride at some larger place.  I have a picture of my brother and I riding this (separate carts) as teenagers but haven't been able to figure out where it was.  This discussion reminded me of going there.  I've been on the Cog, the North Conway, and all the other places mentioned (and just about every train offering rides on the east coast - my brother is a HUGE train buff).

Thanks!

where's Toto there is a few places in nh with trains. Weirs beach has a train ride, but it is a regular size train.

There is  NH heritage museum that has a train ride of sorts.

There is a train ride at the theme park in Salem, NH.

There is also the Hobo Railroad.

Santa's Village and Storyland also have rides for kids, but it is a park ride, not a real train.

Can you tell me more about the picture?

I'm not sure where in VT you are traveling from but sounds like maybe it would be less backtracking if you do the Cog Sunday and the Storyland trip Monday. Also I'll add one more possible stop to your NH journey- If you happen to travel through the town of Littleton, NH while on your way through from VT to the Cog/Conway it's worth stopping in this town for a minute or two. There is a candy store (Chutters) there with the longest candy counter in the world! whole lot of candy and some neat NH souvenirs too!  Just thought I'd throw that suggestion out too as it's a visitor favorite in this area :) Also on that same main street just a few stores down is a great little bookstore that keeps lots of educational toys and workbooks stocked up for the local homeschoolers :) I have found some good things there for our school!

Also one more thing to add- your drive from the Cog to Conway is really pretty with lots of sites to see right on the side of the road as you drive by. There are a couple of flume cascades, Webster Cliffs, the Willey house historic site, the Saco river follows the road and is really pretty, and watch for moose on this road! I have always seen a lot on this route.

Does anyone know of a place in either New Hampshire or Vermont where you ride in little carts that go up a hill/mountain on a track, around and back down.  Each cart only holds one or two people and are low to the ground.  It may be a ride at some larger place.  I have a picture of my brother and I riding this (separate carts) as teenagers but haven't been able to figure out where it was.  This discussion reminded me of going there.  I've been on the Cog, the North Conway, and all the other places mentioned (and just about every train offering rides on the east coast - my brother is a HUGE train buff).

Thanks!

Makes me think of the log flume rides at either Santa's Village or Storyland but those are both on a water track

Thanks!

Sounds like the alpine slide at Attitash.

That sounds like the Cranmore Skimobile, an early version of the ski-lift.  Does this look familiar?  http://teachski.com/articles/cranmoreskimobile/cranmoreskimopbile.htm

That's definitely a possibility as well.  Probably slightly more likely because my brother and I were definitely not roller coaster people.  Although the Attitash looks like you control the speed, so maybe.

The Ski mobile was dismantled in 1989 so the timing works out okay since I would have been in high school and graduated in 87.

I knew if I asked here I'd get some ideas!  :thumbup: