Menu

Nutcracker - Dance question

SquirrellyMama

I hate to say it, but it really depends on the choreography.

I thought that might be the case.  I saw an article that said the Snowflakes weren't as advanced at the Chinese, but the production she's trying out for I would say it is the opposite.

Someone at her dance school said to try out for everything except the little kid parts and the tumblers (she doesn't tumble).

Kelly

At ds's school, the kids are mostly cast by their ages. The choreographer sets certain dances for certain levels and then they slate the kids in basically based on that. So if they decide the party guests are the level two students or the snowflakes are drawn from beginner pointe or whatever - then that's just what they can go out for really. Then they either get those parts or not. But I'm sure it's radically different elsewhere...

Hmm... try out for everything. At our studio girls who try out for certain parts that are completely out of their range are viewed as wasting the instructors' time when the instructors' are trying to evaluate auditions. I imagine the annoyance has an effect on how the instructors' evaluate the student's audition for more appropriate parts.

At our studio, students attend pointe classes for more than a few months before actually performing en pointe.

I would ask someone in charge at your studio, what parts are typically choreographed for students at your dd's level. Concentrate on the suggested part when practicing. I think it will be easier to prepare a good audition for a few parts rather than to learn every single part.

At ds's school, the kids are mostly cast by their ages. The choreographer sets certain dances for certain levels and then they slate the kids in basically based on that. So if they decide the party guests are the level two students or the snowflakes are drawn from beginner pointe or whatever - then that's just what they can go out for really. Then they either get those parts or not. But I'm sure it's radically different elsewhere...

That is basically how our studio works until they're about 12-13.

Snow is the first dance they do on pointe. After that they hope to get parts like Chinese, Arabians, Snow Demi-soloist, etc.

When my son did The Nutcracker (for seven years), the students auditioned and were placed into the roles the director thought appropriate. Placement depended on level but also on practicalities like size, since the same costumes were used year after year.

I think this is how auditions are done for the older students at our company. Our director teaches some company classes so she's aware of what they're capable of.

At my son's school the audition is getting measured, lol. You are cast by height and who fits what costume. The teachers know your ability. The choreographer tweaks every year to reflect the current strengths of the company.

But if this is a larger city with larger auditions I say that she just auditions for everything. Sometimes there are unspoken rules, like first time participants don't ever get a solo, or something like that. She will learn a lot this year and next year will be much easier.

When my son did The Nutcracker (for seven years), the students auditioned and were placed into the roles the director thought appropriate. Placement depended on level but also on practicalities like size, since the same costumes were used year after year.

Dd's studio/company casts Nutcracker similarly. The kids are placed into the roles that are appropriate for their skill level or based on size or (for the older ones) based on specific strengths-----ie jumps very well or is incredibly fluid/graceful or works well physically with a partner.

Dd has been on pointe at class for almost two years. She had a small role on pointe in last spring's full-length ballet, but her second role was on flat. This Nutcracker will be her first full pointe role, something she's been waiting for forever :) She'll be in the corps for Snow but the second role is ????? (cast will be posted in a month).

Is this an entire student company, or will students have roles in a professional company production? Will the entire cast be from the same studio/school?  If so, I find it odd that the possible parts aren't spelled out ahead of time.

Can you get your hands on a DVD of last year's performance?  Check youtube?  Might give you an idea.  But really, the roles depend on the choreography. And sometimes, who fits into the costume or which girl can look convincing as a "party boy."

Is this Nutcracker put on by your dance studio? If so, you should be able to ask questions there. If it is put on by a company that you are unfamiliar with, but you know others who have auditioned in the past, I would take their advice.

Since all Nutcrackers are unique, only people familiar with the company that she is auditioning for will be able to answer your questions. In our student company, for example, the mice are third graders. In the Nutcracker put on by a professional company a couple of hours away, the mice are seventh graders. Big difference.

Good gravy, this is my twelfth Nutcracker :eek: Three more to go as a parent :party:

I think this is my older boy's 6th and my younger boy's 2nd.

I don't even want to think about how many more I have to go.  Our company does bring in professional dancers for the lead roles, but it will also bring back alumnus for some roles. I get to see many college kids come back and dance Tea or Coffee.

Have I mentioned that I have grown to hate the industrial nutcracker complex? My kids adore it though.

My 12 yr old daughter will have auditions next week, but not for individual roles -- just by age/level. She attends a smallish studio and the performance is entirely students.  I know the roles she'd like to get (Clara, Doll, Spanish, Snow) and I hope if her dreams are not to be realized, she won't be too disappointed if she is in the party scene for the fifth year in a row or in the Chinese corps again (third year).  Anyway, at our studio, it seems to go something like Sheep, Mice, Gumdrops, Angels, Chinese, Spanish, Snow, Lead Roles.  The boys do Russian; Party scene kids are various ages and levels; Soldiers and Arabian are taller kids of various levels.

She has been taking pointe classes for a year and a half, but has yet to perform on pointe yet.  She's hoping that this might be her year... If not, well... I'm sure she'll keep plodding on.

Good luck!

Is this an entire student company, or will students have roles in a professional company production? Will the entire cast be from the same studio/school?  If so, I find it odd that the possible parts aren't spelled out ahead of time.

Can you get your hands on a DVD of last year's performance?  Check youtube?  Might give you an idea.  But really, the roles depend on the choreography. And sometimes, who fits into the costume or which girl can look convincing as a "party boy."

This is put on by the dance school in another town.  They pull from dance schools all over the county, and perform at Iowa State.  I've worked this performance for the last 7 years and can never remember all the parts.  I was surprised that her dance school told her to try for any pointe parts.  Her instructor did tell her last night which pointe parts to try for.  It sounds like they line the kids up, show them some of the dance, and then ask them to perform it. 

We'll see how it goes.

Kelly