Menu

Accountability thread for week beginning 31 August 2014

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the good news is that what is actually going well (besides DS11's math, LOL) is work ethic and book/curriculum choices. What needs lots of work is the schedule. The schedule needs such a complete overhaul that it took me a while to realize most of our problems this week were caused by time imbalances. The old schedule worked well for so long, but it is time to completely rework it. I am kind of excited...now that it is Friday night and the schedule isn't nipping at my heels and I see a solution to our frenetic week.

Well the week went well!  We successfully did math, writing, grammar, reading/phonics everyday for all kids.  Next week I'll be introducing history into the mix.  Still need to figure out exactly what I want to do about science.  Both my ds and nephew seem to be very interested in weather so I think that'll be my focus for now.

The last two days were really good too! But we do still need work on getting started on time and I need to work on being prepared. One more thing we really need to work on is spelling, my 6th grader really needs this and I've no idea what to use. I have AAS Tm and RLTL 1 and Spelling Power, I'm hoping we can use one of these for him.

Weekly wrap-up:

Overall I was happy with our week, especially for ds9 who seems to have had a real breakthrough when it comes to working cheerfully and independently. I have had it confirmed to me yet again that my children thrive on routine and order (not my strong points!)

This week was a bit of a soft start as we only did math and some language arts. The kids did have a Chinese lesson on Friday with a tutor, but next week I need to make sure that we are doing regular Chinese review during the week. And I need to get music practice going again. There's more on the horizon, but I think that will be my focus for the week ahead.

My other big challenge is not academic: ds2 is simply not sleeping well at night, and consequently I never get enough sleep myself. He goes to bed just fine and sleeps until maybe 2:30 AM, but from that point on he wakes up every 30-45 minutes crying and needing attention. I'm exhausted and out of ideas to help him sleep.

Yes, I'm new to it as of last monday and he did come from b&m school.  But he also has some delays due to a brain injury at birth.  His brain now functions appropriately but I'd say he is about a year behind developmentally.  He's in 3rd grade.  

So I've got to deal with the transition from b&m where he wasn't expected to talk or think critically much.  But I also have to figure out how much is due to being in b & m as opposed to his brain injury.

Wow, good luck! It's wonderful you can offer this to him.

Also, I keep forgetting to tell you I like your avatar. I always feel like you're my neighbor, leaning over the fence to chat.