Menu

Any NMS Finalists yet?

Guest athomemum

Hello, everyone. I registered on this site specifically for this discussion thread and I hope that's OK. I don't mean to intrude. If there is anyone from Kansas who received a letter today, I wondered if you'd consider posting that information and if you'd consider posting what score made the NMSF cut. We're anxiously waiting here in KS and DS is right on the bubble. Making NMSF, and then NMS, would mean a lot to our family from a financial perspective, so that's why I'm asking. The wait is getting rather difficult. Thanks for any consideration you may give this and congratulations to the DCs of everyone who made it so far!

No news yet.  A friend of mine at one of the prep schools heard from a friend of a friend of a friend (i.e. hearsay), that the level in my state is 222.  Who knows though!  There's a report on CC of that score, so could be?

We're probably out, but still fun to watch.

Guest athomemum

Hello, everyone. I'm just checking back here to see if I can possibly find any news from Kansas regarding NMSF. I'm on College Confidential, as well, where a student poster listed 213 as the KS cut-off...and I was **elated** because that is my son's score...but it turns out the student may possibly be mistaken, though his/her heart was in the right place. So Kansas may be a 214, not a 213. I'm desperate enough that I actually sent my husband down to the high school today - he's a nice guy, so people are usually receptive to his requests - but our high school claims that scores have not been received there. 

I wouldn't blame you for kicking me off your thread -  I'm not even a home-schooler. But it has been a very, very long 10 months waiting for news and - honestly - I'm just so tired of waiting. So, if any kind person out there knows of home-schoolers in Kansas who could help me, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Again, congratulations to those of you who've gotten good news.

Sincerely,

AtHomeMum

Hello, everyone. I'm just checking back here to see if I can possibly find any news from Kansas regarding NMSF. I'm on College Confidential, as well, where a student poster listed 213 as the KS cut-off...and I was **elated** because that is my son's score...but it turns out the student may possibly be mistaken, though his/her heart was in the right place. So Kansas may be a 214, not a 213. I'm desperate enough that I actually sent my husband down to the high school today - he's a nice guy, so people are usually receptive to his requests - but our high school claims that scores have not been received there.

I wouldn't blame you for kicking me off your thread - I'm not even a home-schooler. But it has been a very, very long 10 months waiting for news and - honestly - I'm just so tired of waiting. So, if any kind person out there knows of home-schoolers in Kansas who could help me, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Sincerely,

AtHomeMum

No news for you, but don't worry about not being a homeschooler, there are quite a few parents around with kids in school, you're quite welcome to be here.

I'll be hoping for good news for you, it's hard to be right on the brink knowing it could go either way.

I wouldn't blame you for kicking me off your thread -  I'm not even a home-schooler. But it has been a very, very long 10 months waiting for news and - honestly - I'm just so tired of waiting. So, if any kind person out there knows of home-schoolers in Kansas who could help me, I would sincerely appreciate it.

:seeya: 

Welcome!

Sincerely,

AtHomeMum

Welcome! This National Merit is a crazy, ridiculously drawn-out process! I hope you have great news soon!

In high school my group of friends were all NMS finalists. We paid no attention to any of it once we got our scores and didn't even know there was some kind of honor until it was given. We basically thought of the PSAT as a practice run and that was it. Aah, the good old days.

Now I'm following blow-by-blow on CC and my oldest kid is 10!  :lol:

Yup.  We're out.  A friend at a private school let me in on the scores there without naming names. 

Close.  TWO points.  Oh well.  It would have been different in a different state, but there we are.

You know it is so hard!  Two points is really close.   :grouphug:   

Guest athomemum

I'm checking back in to say thank you very much for the warm welcome - and I appreciate you letting me join your thread.

Congratulations to everyone with NMSFs and Commended Students!

I have the answer I've been seeking for KS and it was good news for my son, so I'm grateful for that. As far as we know, the cut-off for KS is 213 (if anyone else is watching this thread who's interested), but I cannot confirm that cut-off as absolute. Our school did not have that info, or did not provide it. My son specifically asked.

I'm still seeking info for a friend in MO who has a DS right on the bubble, but it's really like searching for a needle in a haystack. Everyone will know by 9/10, when NMSC releases the list of NMSFs and then parents can just call them directly.

The Well-Trained Mind looks like an excellent resource for many things. I'm glad I've found it and will definitely be checking it in the future.

Best wishes to everyone with students in their senior year of high school! 

Sincerely.

AtHomeMum

I have the answer I've been seeking for KS and it was good news for my son,

Congratulations!   :party:

A couple of years ago we were on that bubble and fell on the wrong side of it - would have been fine in about half the states, but not ours!  For those who are "there," my guy still got terrific scholarship opportunities, so not all is lost.  Best wishes to you!

And for those who DID make it...  :party: