Menu

My kids call CLE LA...

alisoncooks

..."The Fun Reading"

(ie. "Let's do the fun reading first!")

:huh:  :blink:

Well, blow me down! LOL.

Not the response I was expecting...not that I wanted them to hate it, but I did not expect them to ask to do it first each day. :D

Did you have any surprises like that this year?

My fourth-grader does it mostly independently. About 90%.

My first grader requires no more then five minutes explanation. But that's only about half of the time. The other half, she requires no help. That being said, she is already reading very well. So this is a little easy for her. But I do still have to teach her the phonetic symbols and such.

I think using their LA, reading, and math really covers the 3 Rs well without overkill. This leaves you free to pursue the other disciplines in any manner you choose.

This is my thought, too.  We're using CLE LA and Math -- and it's so nice to know that they have a very set and progressive sequence (and require very little thought on my part.)  That way I am available (mentally) to pour more effort into other areas.

We are using CLE LA 1 and 2 (my 3rd grader is undiagnosed dyslexic, so using CLE 2 is still very challenging at times).  We do about half the lesson together and they are able to do the rest independently.  Another reason I went with these programs is because the reviews say they are progressively more independent as the grades get higher.

Do I need the teacher guides? I am looking at grades 3, 4, & 5.

Well, CLE does diagramming.  If you are familiar/comfortable with that aspect of grammar, then I say skip it.  You can always order it later if you need it, right?

(I, however, have had virtually no grammar training in my school years, so I will buy all the teacher's guides. :D:D)

Since there is so much CLE love going on, I thought I would share something I started this year that has really helped me. I am in college every day till after lunch. What I have been doing is pre-teaching the day before so the kids can work independently the next day. So it looks like this:

Day 1 - Teach Ls. 1 - Go through the new material thoroughly then quickly go through the rest of the lesson, explaining each section where it is needed. Put book away. 

Day 2 - MORNING - Child gets started on math independently till done. 

Day 2 - AFTERNOON - Check Ls. 1 and fix any problems that were done incorrectly. Teach Ls. 2 same as day before. 

Day 3 - Repeat Day 2. 

This has really saved me a ton of time. Now I don't have to wait for my kids to work through their lessons each day. I also have given them the review they needed the day before so they should have the correct answers when we check it later.