Menu

Costco Cash Cards - have you used one for gas?

BlsdMama

I'm annoyed.

Executive membership - two cards, one for DH and one for me.  

However, DD now goes to school near Costco.  I thought she could do some of my shopping.  (I live approx. 50 minutes from Costco.)

Can she?  No.   She can't use my exec. card.  So I'd have to buy her her own membership and the exec. membership if I wanted my percentages.

I REALLY wanted her to be able to get gas there.... but no, she can't have a Costco AmEx either because even though DH can add her to his, she must have her own Costco number to do so.

If I give up my percentages for it - can I use a Costco cash card and just refill it for her to at least use for gas?

If you use a Costco cash card, must you slide your membership card first?

I would send an email to Costco customer service and see if they can arrange something.  It's unrealistic to expect a college aged kid to have their own account.  Make the argument that like health insurance, they should be able to be on their parent's plan!

I think to use the gas you need to scan your membership card first regardless, so I'm not sure if the cash card would help.

Dh and I both use the Amex credit card for gas and to get into Costco (our picture is on the back of the card).  I gave ds my old Costco card to use at the pump (not Amex).  Our Executive Amex points don't catch his purchases, but I am pretty sure the Costco rebate still does.  He just pays with his debit card, but I imagine a Costco card would be just as easy.

Gas is so much cheaper at Costco, that it is still worth while to use their gas even if we aren't getting the points!  Those are just a little bonus for us.

It's my understanding gas doesn't count towards the exec refund.

It is two cards per member. You would think for exec it could be multiple.

Gas counts for the Amex cash back and rebate.

If you shop at Costco very frequently, I wonder if 2 executive memberships would be worth it. You with one child and DH with another. The no fee Amex is a good deal.

I got this email yesterday from Amex. It looks like you could add her to your Amex if you wanted (but I don't know if it would work at the Costco gas station or not).  I cut out the links since I can't verify it is legit.  Just go to your Amex website to see if it is an option if you are interested. 

You've already shared so many things in life. Now share your TrueEarnings Card Membership benefits with friends and family members who have Costco memberships. 

No annual fee with your paid Costco membership.   Earn cash back faster By consolidating your family’s spending in one Card account, you can achieve reward goals faster. You'll continue to earn:

3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on gasoline at Costco*

2% Cash Back at U.S. restaurants

2% Cash Back on eligible travel purchases, including at Costco

1% Cash Back on other purchases, including at Costco

*Up to $4,000 per year in purchases, then 1%. Terms and limitations apply.1

Cash back provided annually as a Reward Coupon redeemable for cash or merchandise at U.S. Costco Warehouses. The coupon will be issued in your February billing statement and expires on August 31st of the year issued.
        Encourage financial responsiblity You can assign spending limits2 for each Additional Card — for example, to a student or first-time Card Member.

All Additional Card Members must be 18 years of age or older.3
        Provide access to your Card Membership benefits Additional Card Members can access many of the same services and benefits such as the Global Assist® Hotline4 and Purchase Protection.5
        Apply for Additional Cards today, and they can gain access to Card Membership benefits.