Menu

Literature to go along with Medieval and Early Modern World for middle school?

My daughter will be reading the Oxford University Press series Medieval and Early Modern World this year. Can anyone help me put together a literature list to go along with it? I would be so grateful! Or maybe this already exists and I just need to be pointed in the right direction. She is a prolific reader and age 11.

Thanks in advance!!

:bigear:

Trying to pick ONE-TWO good book(s) to go with the volume on Africa and the Middle East (600-1500). Any suggestions?

For the European volume, I think we're going to focus on King Arthur and perhaps the Story of Siegried.

For the Asian volume, A Single Shard...

Still working on my list, obviously. I like to alternate good historical fiction with other good books that are not necessarily related to anything we are studying, such as Alice in Wonderland, etc.

We used many selections from the WTM logic stage middle ages list (different versions many times, but the same titles). I can come back and list them later if you would like. 

Oh yes, I would love it if you could come back and list them! Thank you so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone use the Beautiful Feet guide loosely? Thoughts? Is there something better? Mostly I'd just like a guide that will help us get through the various literature selections. We're secular homeschoolers, which I know BF books isn't, but wondering if there's a better choice out there? I need something that would be pick up and go, rather than something I need to cobble together myself (which I unfortunately don't have time for this year).

http://bfbooks.com/Medieval-Intermediate-Guide-Download-Version?sc=21&category=-121

We just started the BF Medieval guide for intermediate/jr high this week. I also try to pick secular materials, mostly for science, but also for history. I picked BF because my son enjoys reading real books more than texts and the guide was inexpensive. As far as I can tell from skimming the guide to make our lesson plans for the first two months, there really isn't a Christian slant to the material. In week 5 they read about Islam, Judaism and Christianity as it relates to what was happening in the world at the time (Muhammad, spread of Christianity, etc). Religion is a part of history and it is important to study the impact religion had on history. But I don't see that they are pushing one religion over another at all. There are no Bible studies like in Sonlight. One week they actually suggest you visit a house of worship different than your own, or one you know little about, to learn about differences and similarities of other religions. So far we both have been pleased with the assignments and discussion materials.

Has anyone use the Beautiful Feet guide loosely? Thoughts? Is there something better? Mostly I'd just like a guide that will help us get through the various literature selections. We're secular homeschoolers, which I know BF books isn't, but wondering if there's a better choice out there? I need something that would be pick up and go, rather than something I need to cobble together myself (which I unfortunately don't have time for this year).

http://bfbooks.com/Medieval-Intermediate-Guide-Download-Version?sc=21&category=-121

We are attempting to use it this year. We are also secular and the guide isn't problematic in that sense. What I am finding difficult is fitting the guide with the rest of our history studies. I just can't pace it right. So at this point I am using it for random writing prompts. It's a good guide though, if you are willing to let it drive your schedule.

We are attempting to use it this year. We are also secular and the guide isn't problematic in that sense. What I am finding difficult is fitting the guide with the rest of our history studies. I just can't pace it right. So at this point I am using it for random writing prompts. It's a good guide though, if you are willing to let it drive your schedule.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I'm willing to let it drive my schedule. We really just want to read the entire Oxford University Press set (below) while incorporating literature along the way. I was hoping there would be a nice and neat easy way to do this. Hmmm. I really need EASY.  I cannot rework this as we go.

Medieval and Early Modern World

• The European World: 400-1450
  • The African and Middle Eastern World: 600-1500
  • The Asian World: 600-1500
  • An Age of Empires: 1200-1750
  • An Age of Voyages: 1350-1600
  • An Age of Science and Revolutions: 1600-1800

<p>Hmmmm, I'm not sure I'm willing to let it drive my schedule. We really just want to read the entire Oxford University Press set (below) while incorporating literature along the way. I was hoping there would be a nice and neat easy way to do this. Hmmm. I really need EASY. I cannot rework this as we go.Medieval and Early Modern World

• The European World: 400-1450
  • The African and Middle Eastern World: 600-1500
  • The Asian World: 600-1500
  • An Age of Empires: 1200-1750
  • An Age of Voyages: 1350-1600
  • An Age of Science and Revolutions: 1600-1800

I will give you an example. BF uses the European volume of that set. The entire guide is completely Eurocentric, so that one volume stretches over the duration of the course. You would have to figure out how to fit in everything else.

We are using HO and SOTW. HO devotes two chapters to Crusades, Knights, and Magna Carta. We cover that in two weeks. BF suggested corresponding reading - King Arthur, Queen Eleanor, Robin Hood, and Magna Carta spread over many more weeks. So you see my dilemma? I would either have to stop history and catch up with lit reading, or disconnect the two. We are opting at this point to take each of those components at their own pace, which means we might be studying China in HO and still reading Magna Carta as a readaloud. You might be better at this juggling though. I am terrible.

I also own that set, but we are saving it for later.

TWTM history activities guides have absolutely stellar bibliographies. I never stopped being impressed. From picture books to chapter books; it's all there.

Can you tell me what you are referring to? I'm trying to decide if you are referring to the SOTW activity book. I only have the activity book 1, so I'm not sure if this is what you're referencing. Or maybe you just mean TWTM text? If so, I have that, and will take a look at it.