Menu

Ipad question Or Can you save me a visit to the genius bar???Update in #11

Tammi K

Update in #11

DS's ipad was working fine a few nights ago and then...it wasn't. It turned itself off and now he can't get it to stay turned on. He's tried everything he can think of - which is a 100% more things than I could think of because I know nothing about ipads.

Things to know - he's not rough with it so it isn't a breakage issue.  It was working fine and then poof.

It won't turn on long enough to see if updating software would help. And, it is fully charged.

So Hive, what do you have for me?  A trip to the genius bar is going to cost a fortune so I rest myself in your hands.

Battery overheated due to charging issues. I had that happen with my iPod. Somehow the third party cable overcharged my iPod. I could not turn my iPod on even with it connected to the original sync/charging cable After a whole day of "resting" my iPod did work again.

Because it is shutting itself off.  Not like its a ticking time bomb.  Sorry. I was pretty unclear there.  It seems to me like a hardware issue not a software issue (which resets do help wth).

I understood what you meant...but thought your reply was funny.   This exactly. Tried a hard reset but it just won't turn on long enough to do anything else.

If he doesn't want to drive to the Genius Bar (which I assume is the expense) he can call them and they will service it via mail. If it's under warranty though they will probably just replace it. It sounds like it is toast or close.

If he COULD drive to the genius store, that would be great. But, the lad is only 13 so I have to drive his sorry self all over town. Ah me.  

This is a refurbished ipad and he's never had any trouble with it until 2 nights ago. Then, poof. And, I have been assured by both him and big brother ( who can drive...hmmm, where is he when I need him?) that he wasn't doing anything outlandish with it.

Unfortunately, it's about 18 months old, so no warranty and this thing has a ton of his school books on it. So, it will be a replace not so much a 'learn to do without' type of thing. Dang.

Just back from the apple store. Can I say today was just one more reason why I love apple? There stuff is expensive but their customer service is top notch.

Our Genius Bar appointment was actually a bit early. The tech did a few diagnostics and said that it was probably the battery. We asked, "Does that often happen that it just quits?' No, we were told. But, he suspected the battery anyway. It would cost $99 to fix the 'battery' or $399 to replace the ipad. He said he preferred assuming it was a battery issue and if it was okay with me, he had two in stock and he would be back in a few minutes. I assumed he was going to replace the battery when in fact he had already decided to replace the ipad - it's just a cheaper 'replace' for a battery issue than for other damage. So, for $99, within a few minutes DS had a brand new ipad which he turned on and restored from the cloud.  He was up and running before we left the store!

And, the technician mentioned that while DS's ipad was updating, if we wanted to wait there was a workshop starting on security and backup storage. So, we sat in and learned a lot!

Thanks for the advice. Your suggestions were all appreciated and were tried. ( and the same things he tried as well!)