Menu

I have no idea what to do ! Is this normal with math???

susankhan

I have a 10 almost 11 year old son.   He is working on grade 6 math.  The problem is he gets the basic concepts so he can do fractions, ratios, etc.  however the problem is when he gets a WORD problem he is totally LOST.  I mean he can't figure it out and he gets so stressed out.  I am using MM, Math Essentials , and a few other things here and there.  I need advice on what or how to teach this to him.  Here is just one example:

A train travels 165 miles from one town to the next at and average speed of 90 mph.  When did the train leave, if it arrives at 1440 hrs (2:40 pm)?

Now he can do :   speed   =     distance

------------

time

distance =  speed x time

time=   distance

----------

speed

or   3 4/5 - 2  1/4  

but put them in a word problem and FORGET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must also stress I am NOT strong with math at all :(  

That was going to be my advice... start with earlier simpler math word problems, and go from there. Part of my daughters education includes using a 1890s math book that is 100% mental math word problems. She thinks its silly now. Because we are only a few lessons in and it is very easy. "Samuel has  2 pies and Martha has 4. How many pies do they have together?" type questions, she's all sassy mouth and says, "So 2 + 4? Why doesn't it just say that. It's 6. This is too easy." >.< lol building blocks child. building blocks. She is 7... so I imagine he may get sassy with you too xD Lol but it is worth it. Majority of kids find word problems more difficult.

Does he tolerate "wordy" math?  Verbal explanations of problems?  Because my dd recently completed Jousting Armadillos, and the last chapter is all about word-problem applications of single variable linear equations, and the final section is all about D=RT type word problems.  The explanation is so great, and he has the kids explicitly make the connection of the equation they are using to the problem that it's been relatively easy for dd. Translating word problems into equations is where she struggles the most, too, but JA has really, really helped her make the translation.  We did JA in the spring of 6th grade after doing MM6 as needed.  I think it's doable by a 6th grader, for sure, and it might help.  But it is really wordy - not unlike AoPS, all the teaching is written in the book, so when you read it, it is the teacher talking to you.  He's funny and quirky and engaging.  But if a kid isn't used to learning math that way, you may need to sit with him and make sure he is reading the explanation and discussions.

I agree to do much easier problems.  How about getting Challenge Math by Zaccaro and focusing on the easy level only?  Or get one of the Process Skills in Problem Solving books but at a much easier level - maybe grade 3 or 4.  The goal isn't the math, it's the words for now.

When doing exams at university I,

1/ highlight the relevant bits for the calculation.

2/ write them out - m= , l=

3/write any formulae I know containing those terms.

4/put them together

Focus on what you do know and can do not on getting overwhelmed by the verbiage.

His reading comprehension is amazing.   He has always been way ahead with both reading and comprehension.   But when he reads a word problem he has this blank stare on his face and says "huh ???"     

Hmmm...interesting.  

On that note, I agree with others that said to start with a level of WP that's lower than where he's working, to build confidence.  I'd check out Process Skills, which lays out problem solving pretty well.  

I also created a page that details problem solving steps.  My kids keep a copy in their "Math Toolbox" to reference.  

One thing that is helping here is that we do a word problem together, usually as others have said starting with a basic version first, and I verbally walk through what I am thinking as I break it down and solve it with them, then I have them do a similar problem with them verbally walking through as they break it down (with the first problem still available to look at for reference) then I have them CREATE a word problem (with my help if necessary) then they walk through the steps to get to a solution to the problem.  Then they try another similar problem on their own.  Doing this over and over has helped them to internalize what the key words are to look for, etc.  Creating their own has really been the most useful, actually.  They still trip up upon occasion but the process of doing word problems is MUCH better than it was.

The main thing is to try hard not to sound frustrated or irritated.  Focus on the positives.  Lots of specific praise.  Even if they don't get the correct solution, praise the parts they are figuring out correctly.  If necessary have a chart he can refer to with terms to look for and what they mean.  Do only a couple of problems each day and work hard on those two problems, breaking them apart and putting them back together.  Give him a chance to internalize the process.  Do a lot of practical application in real life situations.  

You might look on this thread for some outside the box practice:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/

FWIW, I hated word problems, too, as a kid.  

Hugs and best wishes.

My DS, 10 and in 5th grade, practically has panic attacks with word problems. Any calculation he can do and he is great at mental math but put the math in a "word problem" and he freaks out. His general reading comprehension is fine too, go figure. Like a pp said, I am having him do FAN Math Process Skills in Problem Solving starting at Level 3 and we will work from there. Level 3 technically is "too easy" for him but he will gain confidence which will help in general and also experience model strategies which hopefully will give him more of a sense of control over word problem tasks.

Crazy thing is I loved word problems as a kid. I was miserable at just memorizing formulas and rules. I needed the "pictures" and scenarios that word problems provide in order for math to make any sense to me. And, when I was a kid,  if math didn't make sense I stank at it.

My son also has problems with word problems, but he has had problems with verbal input his entire life that we had to work on. I purposely add other math programs that are wordy that we can work through to help him think through his math in words. We have been using MM as our spine. It does the job. We just add to it.