Menu

Back-up cameras

maize

I want to say it was around $300 to add it to my suburban but I could be way off.   I've had the back-up warning (beeps) on the last several cars, but the one before this had a camera and I loved it.  I don't think it gives me a false sense of security, rather added security.   When I purchased this Suburban two years ago it did not come with the camera so the first thing I did was drive to the audio/video place and have it installed.  

The only time I have almost hit something important, two sandhill cranes, was when I was using a backup camera only. This is because I was concentrating on the camera and not paying attention to what was coming at me from the side. Luckily, The car beeped at me so I stopped and looked around because nothing was in the way per the backup camera. Personally, I think cars which just beep are safer for me. I now look in the backup camera briefly when starting to back out. But once the car is rolling, I am looking around the old fashioned way.

I have no idea one could add a camera after the fact. Mine was factory installed.

I like them but I don't think they help if something is actually underneath the car. They are certainly no substitute for a careful actual look. And if something's coming at you fast - like a kid on a bike - it might not appear on the camera until it's too close to react to.

I drive a full-size van, so rear visibility is a serious issue. A teenage relative of a friend recently ran over her little sister while backing up her father's truck, it is a horribly sad situation for the whole family. I think a backup camera would be a worthwhile investment.

I want to say it was around $300 to add it to my suburban but I could be way off. I've had the back-up warning (beeps) on the last several cars, but the one before this had a camera and I loved it. I don't think it gives me a false sense of security, rather added security. When I purchased this Suburban two years ago it did not come with the camera so the first thing I did was drive to the audio/video place and have it installed.

$300 doesn't sound bad at all. What store sells these? Was it a chain type of store you went to?

We have a camera and alarm on our van.  I can't say the camera has ever helped me avoid hitting anything.  There are TONS of false alarms with our system though.  (apparently it confuses gravel with objects a lot)  And, I have had an accident in which I backed into a vehicle that was also backing out in a tight parking lot.  The other vehicle never showed on the camera and the alarm never went off.  It was perfectly in the blind spot.

$300 doesn't sound bad at all. What store sells these? Was it a chain type of store you went to?

No.  We have not had good service with Best Buy in the past involving XM Radio installation so we avoid it now.  We have a few different places in town that install home audio/theater systems and car audio systems.   They installed our home theater system when we built our house several years ago and replaced our car DVD system when it was stolen a few years ago.   I'm sure if you google your town + car audio or home theater you can find such a place.  We have been happy with the service, likely locally owned has something to do with it.   

Do think about where you want your monitor/screen.  In my previous car where it was factory installed, the screen was built into the rear view mirror.  In this car I had the screen placed too low.  It isn't unusable, but I just wished I had it placed higher.   I will do all I can to purchase my next vehicle with it factory installed.  In my aftermarket, the cameras are built into the license plate holder, FYI.  

No.  We have not had good service with Best Buy in the past involving XM Radio installation so we avoid it now.  We have a few different places in town that install home audio/theater systems and car audio systems.   They installed our home theater system when we built our house several years ago and replaced our car DVD system when it was stolen a few years ago.   I'm sure if you google your town + car audio or home theater you can find such a place.  We have been happy with the service, likely locally owned has something to do with it.   

Do think about where you want your monitor/screen.  In my previous car where it was factory installed, the screen was built into the rear view mirror.  In this car I had the screen placed too low.  It isn't unusable, but I just wished I had it placed higher.   I will do all I can to purchase my next vehicle with it factory installed.  In my aftermarket, the cameras are built into the license plate holder, FYI.  

Thank you so much! I didn't even know where to start searching, so this is very helpful. It looks like there are a few places locally that do car audio and video systems, I will start calling around.