Menu

I have puppy fever

gingersmom

My kids are both in high school and won't be homeschooling for foreseeable future (unless my son hates it).

My dog is almost 4 (Chesapeake bay retriever), is so calm now (as opposed to her puppyhood), the cats are 7 and 9.

I feel like an empty nester.

A neighbor just got a second dog and I was so envious. I love having two dogs.

Having an 80 pound dog I am aiming for another dog under 25 pounds. Plus my dog is totally blasé about little dogs.

I'm leaning towards a bichon frise at the moment but not sure (I grew up with one).

What to do???

Me too!!!

I really want a cat. We used to have cats but after they died we realized how bad dh's cat allergies really are.

We have two dogs, a golden retriever and a chihuahua.

The golden is a big, dumb goofball and he sleeps with DS.

The chi is so sweet and he's a great snuggly sleeper but he's 100% attached and sleeps with dd.

So, I'm longing for a little cat-like dog. A little fluffer puff that will sleep with me.

Do you have a spouse? What does he think?

What about the kids? They're in Highschool, but I assume they still live in the house and will have hear/smell/see this dog should you actually get one.

If they don't care, then get the dog.

My kids are both in high school and won't be homeschooling for foreseeable future (unless my son hates it).

My dog is almost 4 (Chesapeake bay retriever), is so calm now (as opposed to her puppyhood), the cats are 7 and 9.

I feel like an empty nester.

A neighbor just got a second dog and I was so envious. I love having two dogs.

Having an 80 pound dog I am aiming for another dog under 25 pounds. Plus my dog is totally blasé about little dogs.

I'm leaning towards a bichon frise at the moment but not sure (I grew up with one).

What to do???

We got a puppy over the weekend - it will wear you out and fill your days! We were in a similar position, our other dog is 3, and the two cats are pretty relaxed. So, throw a puppy in the mix...what was I thinking? ;)

ETA: a pic of our new pup - "Hercules"

Get a cavalier King Charles spaniel. We always call her the "puppy cat". All the benefits of a dog with all the snuggles of a cat!

Be very, very, very careful when picking a CKCS breeder. They are prone to syringomyelia which isn't all that treatable and leads to quality of life issues. My mom got one because her vet recommended the breed. She is just the sweetest dog and is a major cuddler, but at about a year she was diagnosed with syringomyelia. Their once sweet dog who greeted everyone at the door and adored company is now unable to handle company and experiences quite a bit of discomfort. My mom gives her the best life possible, but it has been very sad to watch.

Such a sweet dog, but another one of those breeds that humans have wrecked in pursuit of a particular physical appearance.

But yes, if you're game for a puppy, why not?

We have a papillon/pomeranian mix, and he is very cat-like.  He loves nothing more than snuggling.  Sometimes I think he may break out in a purr!  He even chases a ball like a cat (which has disappointed my dd a bit) - instead of fetching the ball, he pounces on it and bats it around...

We have a black lab puppy who is 55 lbs at 6 months. He's going to be pretty big. We've also been short-term boarding other labs this summer. Two labs together are like magic. They are so good at playing together, resting together, and still being devoted to their human family. They just want to be close to someone and please them.

I'd pick another retriever or lab over a small dog.