Menu

Alg extras before they're ready for alg 1

What would you recommend that's around the caliber of Keys To Algebra? I mean simple enough for someone in grade 6 math to understand, yet teaches actual algebra concepts.

DS, 10.5yo and starting 6th, is very interested in algebra. Keys isn't going to hold him off for long. He is appropriately placed in Horizons 6, though he plans on doubling up lessons when he can to get through it faster. I make no attempt to line these up; he just does what's next in both.

He's not a Life of Fred fan.

Ha! I was thinking he could probably start a "lite" alg book like MUS to replace Keys, but I can't put him in MUS itself. (Sibling confidence issue)

He really ought to finish his 6 book though. He's strong in the basics, but I don't want him to pass this round of fractions and decimals.

I'll go look up JA.

Hands on Equations and Keys to Algebra are the things that come to mind most readily. There is also the option of starting Algebra from a basic textbook and working on problem solving on the side from something like Zacarros Challenge Math or Become a Problem Solving Genius, Hard Math for Elementary/Middleschool

You might want to know that Keys to algebra does get significantly harder in book 4 when factoring polynomials is introduced. We've also done Algebra Survival Guide, Real World Algebra and Becoming a Problem Solving Genius and CWP 5 and 6.  And some MM grade 7 and Algebra 1 pages too. Now that I think of it, my girl is probably a bit over-prepared ;-) but it was fun and beneficial...

We own the whole Keys set and I have looked ahead. He has already been exposed to much of it due to his 14yo sister playing on the whiteboard with him. This algebra drive is pretty much her fault. LOL

He plays with extras like Zacarro and apps. Jousting looks interesting. It looks like he'd need at least Crocodiles and Coconuts, but I'm not sure they'd appeal to him. I'll try a sample on him later.

Maybe I should be looking at meaty prealg courses instead of supplements. *shrug*

My DD likes the Painless series, the Algebra Survival Guide, Algebra 1 and 2 for dummies and similar books. She did Key to algebra along with LOF PA, then AOPS PA (along with LOF Beginning Algebra) and is doing AOPS Intro to Algebra along with LOF Advanced Algebra and LOF Geometry this year.  She likes math :)

You might wish to take a look at

Balance Bendersâ„¢ Beginning

"Move over Sudoku, here come Balance Benders™! You can use these books as quick, fun logic problems or as stepping stones to success in algebra. Students develop deductive thinking and pre-algebra skills as they solve balance puzzles that are more fun and addictive than Sudoku puzzles! Students must analyze each balance to identify the clues, and then synthesize the information to solve the puzzle. Try one — and then try to stop!

Want to try an interactive demo of this book's activities? Try our free online demo right now! This online demo is a sample of our soon-to-be released Balance Bendersâ„¢ Beginning software."

There are also levels 1, 2, and 3.

Or there is this series:

Balance Mathâ„¢ & More! Level 1

or this:

Balance Mathâ„¢ Teaches Algebra!

Regards,

Kareni

Because early-middle of 6 straight to alg seems like a big enough gap to cause issues later on? Even replacing 6 with prealg is skipping a whole level in Horizons. Or are you suggesting alg concurrently with 6/prealg?

I guess it depends on the kid, but my 6th grader is more than ready for algebra. If he's asking for it and seems ready, I wouldn't worry about age, you know? But obviously you know your child best. :)

It's the skipping a significant chunk of 6/prealg that makes me not want to jump into alg 1 just yet. :) I've known he simply gets math faster than others for years. For the longest time I was certain I was only teaching him the vocabulary for math he already had sorted out on his own.

Thank you for every suggestion! I have looked up each of them and added to my Amazon wishlist. I'd love to hear any more. :)

It's the skipping a significant chunk of 6/prealg that makes me not want to jump into alg 1 just yet. :)

It would be okay to try alg 1 after the whole set of keys to algebra. The only thing I can think of is you might want to do a review of exponents as I can't remember if keys to algebra covers that.

I easily see how I can replace Horizons 6 with a prealg that will essentially cover the same concepts with more alg concepts tossed in. I don't see how skipping this level would set him up for success. Keys alone is not capable of giving him the depth of understanding Lial's prealg gave my older DD. That book made her negatives, exponents and such as automatic as addition. DS is in the good familiarity realm. *shrug*

We decided to keep him in his happy Horizons and lite alg supplements world for another 4-6 weeks. At that point he'll start AoPS prealg. :)