Menu

Who wants to tell me about 2nd grade?

bobbeym

My brother is a single, SAHD and is considering homeschooling his 7yo son, a rising 2nd grade.  K-1st was done in public school.  K12 isn't available until 3rd grade in Texas, unless he pays for the private enrollment version.  If he decides he prefers the K12 route, then my nephew will need to stay in PS for 2nd grade in order to be eligible.

My only experience homeschooling is with high school, but I can't imagine it's that hard to school a little one, so please tell me what he'll need to know.  My own inclination is to hook him up with some workbooks I found that look fairly decent for the basics, tell him to get a library card for science/history read alouds, and join a local HS group for play time and field trips.  I figure everything else can get dropped in as he becomes more comfortable with homeschooling.

Money will definitively be a consideration for resources, as he's a full-disability vet.  Anything he can free, borrow, or at low cost is preferable.   But is it really as simple as it seems?

*Edited to clarify that my brother is not a stay at home mom dad, although he does do the job of both parents so he should get credit for that. :)

How is the childs reading level? I would want to be sure his reading skills were solid, and I would recommend starting Math Mammoth--either grade 1 or 2.

Sorry, this is off-topic, but your brother is not a SAHM dad, he is a SAHD (stay-at-home-dad). As a single dad, that sort of thing catches my eye.

What type of technology is available to your brother? There are a few good PDFs that I have found that I would be happy to recommend if I thought that the format could be made easy on your brother.

I agree he needs some decent math-whatever program he likes-and possibly a good phonics program. Beyond that, the library should be good. He should speak to his local librarian about their offerings, and if there is a bigger city/better system nearby, he should consider contacting them as well.

There is a ton of free stuff online. We are using a lot of free resources with a good deal of success. He will have to sift through them to be sure they are appropriate to his child's age, ability, and learning style.

Second grade is the time to firm up basic skills. Reading, handwriting, addition and subtraction. Anything else is bonus.

Yes, it's really simple for 2nd grade. I'd be careful getting general workbooks, since they frequently don't teach new concepts well. 

Here are some free or low-cost options:

Math - MEP (free), CLE, Rod & Staff, Math Mammoth

Phonics - I See Sam, Elizabeth B's phonics website, The Writing Road to Reading (covers composition and handwriting, too, if he wants to put in the time to learn the method), Webster's Speller

There are a lot of vintage books for LA, history and science, if he doesn't mind religious content. 

ETA: I forgot, but there's Easy Peasy homeschool online that covers pretty much everything without having to purchase a program.

Your plan sounds really good. Some will depend on the reading level of your nephew (phonics, spelling and writing) but a library card is a fantastic start, and really could be all he needs for a while.

For my 2nd grader, I read to him a lot, have him read fun simple readers to me so he can practice reading and phonics, and have him copy one or two fun sentences from the reading so he can practice writing and spelling. We also check out easy science readers from the library (we like the 'let's read and explore science series) and do science experiments. I purchased some curriculum but he hates workbooks so not a lot is happening with some of those. I also read chapter books to him , focusing on classics (Winnie the Pooh, Charlotte's Web, books like that). We also use Math Mammoth, it is a really inexpensive and thorough math curriculum.

We spend about an hour a day on 'formal' school. That is really light but for now it is working for us.

Totally do-able. If the child is a competent reader, all he needs is spelling {Spelling Workout is easy to use and relatviely cheap}, grammar/writing {we really like Essentials in Writing. It is easy to use and clear. SWB recommends it. The whole WWE/WWS did not go over well here.}, and math {We like Rod and Staff but it isn't for everyone. CLE is our other all-time favorite! You are going to hear lots of votes for Singapore options.}

Library and Magic SchoolBus/other science DVDs can fill the other needs just fine. Art is as simple as having some colored pencils and stuff around. It really does not need to be hard or overblown at all. Logos School has their Elementary reading list online for free. We have used that list for years.

FTR, we hated K12. HATED it! For a box, Calvert School {used by Connections Academy, I think} is way better. He might check as different VA's have different entrance points. There was a huge thread recently about K12 vs Calvert. If he goes Calvert/Connections, suggest the Math In Focus over the Calvert Math. Calvert also has finiancial aid AND military discounts.

Yes, it really is as easy as it sounds. 

MEP is a totally free and entirely reasonable math program. It requires a little adaptation to make the classroom activities in the lesson plans work for a single-student environment, but it's not that big of a problem. 

If the child already reads reasonably well, library books are fine. If he needs a phonics program, I have used Progressive Phonics with great success. 

Whether a spelling program is necessary depends on the child. My daughter is a natural speller, so she does not need a spelling program. The jury is still out on my second-grade son; I have started doing spelling with him, but am not sure whether that will remain necessary as he reads more. I don't plan to get serious about spelling with him until third grade. 

Handwriting can be practiced using free online resources; I can't recommend anything in particular, but there are plenty of options out there. 

As for writing, at this age, there is no need for a formal program. I'd certainly recommend doing *some* writing, but it doesn't have to be intense. 

I highly recommend that he check out the CLE math and language arts program. The price is really good and he could split up the cost by buying a few units at a time if he needs to.

Science and history can be covered by using the library. Especially if the library has DVDs like Bill Nye.

For writing the child can notebook. Basically they would study a subject for a week and at the end of the week the child can write (or dictate and copy, if their writing needs progress) what they have learnt for the week.

There is a book that could be borrowed from the library or bought relatively cheaply called What Your Second Grader Needs to Know. He might want to look at the earlier grades to check that there is a foundation there. But the book will cover a lot of content.

How is the childs reading level? I would want to be sure his reading skills were solid, and I would recommend starting Math Mammoth--either grade 1 or 2.

Sorry, this is off-topic, but your brother is not a SAHM dad, he is a SAHD (stay-at-home-dad). As a single dad, that sort of thing catches my eye.

What type of technology is available to your brother? There are a few good PDFs that I have found that I would be happy to recommend if I thought that the format could be made easy on your brother.

:lol:   Thank you for catching my mistake Gil!  That's what I get for trying to quickly clarify my thoughts and give relevant information when I was in a hurry to clock out for lunch.     What's ironic about it is that my DH is a SAHD too.   :leaving:

I'm not sure what my nephew's reading level is, as I haven't heard him reading.  I know he likes books and I can't recall anyone ever saying that he was struggling with anything in school, so his basic skills are probably about average.

My brother has a laptop, a large screen tv, DVD player, and cable TV.  I have a printer though and would be happy to print out anything my brother needs, or he could use our dad's printer, since they only live a few houses away.

:lol:   Thank you for catching my mistake Gil!  That's what I get for trying to quickly clarify my thoughts and give relevant information when I was in a hurry to clock out for lunch.     What's ironic about it is that my DH is a SAHD too.   :leaving:

I'm not sure what my nephew's reading level is, as I haven't heard him reading.  I know he likes books and I can't recall anyone ever saying that he was struggling with anything in school, so his basic skills are probably about average.

My brother has a laptop, a large screen tv, DVD player, and cable TV.  I have a printer though and would be happy to print out anything my brother needs, or he could use our dad's printer, since they only live a few houses away.

Honestly, he doesn't need a laptop, a DVD player, or cable TV to teach a 7yo at home.

Homeschooling in Texas is easy-peasy; I wouldn't recommend enrolling the dc in Texas Virtual Academy, which is public school at home. I have no doubt your brother could do a much better job than TVA would do.

Yes, it's really simple for 2nd grade. I'd be careful getting general workbooks, since they frequently don't teach new concepts well. 

Here are some free or low-cost options:

Math - MEP (free), CLE, Rod & Staff, Math Mammoth

Phonics - I See Sam, Elizabeth B's phonics website, The Writing Road to Reading (covers composition and handwriting, too, if he wants to put in the time to learn the method), Webster's Speller

There are a lot of vintage books for LA, history and science, if he doesn't mind religious content. 

ETA: I forgot, but there's Easy Peasy homeschool online that covers pretty much everything without having to purchase a program.

Thanks for the list of resources.  I like the look of Math Mammoth, what I could see of it anyway.  Easy Peasy looked really good too and would probably be pretty easy for him to follow.

Honestly, he doesn't need a laptop, a DVD player, or cable TV to teach a 7yo at home.

Homeschooling in Texas is easy-peasy; I wouldn't recommend enrolling the dc in Texas Virtual Academy, which is public school at home. I have no doubt your brother could do a much better job than TVA would do.

Oh I agree, Ellie.  I don't recommend TVA to anyone and told him earlier today it's nothing more than public school work done at work. 

I told him that I don't have any doubt that he could teach his son and I'm more than willing to help him source out materials and get it organized. My nephew is my brother's mini-me, and I well remember what he was like at that age, although he is slightly better behaved than his daddy was. ;)

TBH though, my brother is dealing with a lot of cr@p from his XW right now, and while homeschooling might be the best thing for my nephew, I'm not sure it's worth it at this point in time to give the crazy woman extra potential ammo.

From comments dropped by other single home schooing parents he probably needs consent from his XW to withdraw the kid from school. Better check anyway.

Why is he thinking of home schooling? Is it academic, religious, the kid's behavior, bullying etc or has he always wanted too? How does your nephew feel about it?

We are enjoying EiW and it is similar enough to school that he could go back or switch to a virtual public school.

If he starts with reading, writing and maths he should be fine.

From comments dropped by other single homes hooking parents he probably needs consent from his XW to withdraw the kid from school. Better check anyway.  

Why is he thinking of home schooling? Is it academic, religious, the kid's behavior, bullying etc or has he always wanted too? How does your nephew feel about it?

We are enjoying EiW and it is similar enough to school that he could go back or switch to a virtual public school.

If he starts with reading, writing and maths he should be fine.

Just saw this when I came back to give an update.

He's planning to homeschool mainly for academic reasons.   He is the full custodial parent and doesn't need consent from the XW to withdraw his son.  My nephew is excited about the idea of homeschooling.  

My brother just left here with his letters of withdrawal and links to join THSC and our local homeschool group since he's hoping to move to my side of town soon.  He plans to start with 2nd grade workbooks to use for evaluation purposes. That gives he and I more time to figure out what exactly my nephew needs for curriculum.

I have two friends schooling littles using EasyPeasy, and they love it.  They highly recommend it.  It is an all in one program so that would be easier for him.  It is also free.

Not to get into the details of his divorce decree, but language sometimes differentiates between physical custody and having decision making power over the child's educational, medical, etc.  It would behoove him to read the fine print.  (And perhaps he has so I don't mean to be a nosy Nellie!)

Cool. Here custody is rarely that simple. Generally the non-custodial still has a say in major decisions. Hope it works well. Remember general type workbooks don't support the parent to teach.

I have two friends schooling littles using EasyPeasy, and they love it.  They highly recommend it.  It is an all in one program so that would be easier for him.  It is also free.

Not to get into the details of his divorce decree, but language sometimes differentiates between physical custody and having decision making power over the child's educational, medical, etc.  It would behoove him to read the fine print.  (And perhaps he has so I don't mean to be a nosy Nellie!)

It's complicated and I can't get into detail b/c of current stuff that's going on, but he knows his custody paperwork backwards and forwards. XW doesn't have any decision making power, period.

My brother doesn't do well when he feels overwhelmed with options, so he's asked me to figure out what will work best.  I've still got DN with us and hope to get a chance to do some assessment testing with him while he's here.  I only suggested my brother use generic workbooks until we can determine DN's current level in school and order specific curriculum.  I looked at EasyPeasy earlier in the month, and may look at it further to see if it's something we can use until final decisions are made.  I just don't want to do lots of curriculum swapping. I'd rather use something generic for a few weeks if we have to.

The options are overwhelming. I actually don't home school but the after schooling board is slower. I am doing EiW with ds7 who needs more detailed teaching or just more teaching than he is getting at school. It covers grammar and composition, takes about 15 mins and is cheap for a video based course ($50). If your brother needs some support in that area (like I do) you could look at that. Then he would really only need maths, spelling and a library card.