Menu

Any reviews of Fix It! grammar from IEW?

It was recently revamped, so people should mention which version they are reviewing. I own both old and new, and the new is soooooo much better. It is a comprehensive grammar and editing program. We are going to start out with book 1 (The

Nose Tree) and work double-pace so we can start Robin Hood next semester.

I have the revised version and will be starting it in a few months but cannot give you direct feedback from personal experience since we haven't actually used it yet. So far, though, I really like what I see.  

FWIW, I was at a convention this year and talked with several homeschoolers who were comparing it with other grammar programs as well as the old version.  No program is perfect for every child or every teacher/parent, obviously, and this was not a survey of a large number of homeschoolers and the new version has only recently come out so I guess no one has used the whole thing all the way through yet but every single one of the group that I talked to loved the new Fix-It grammar....

Guest Heritageteacher

I have not used Fix It!, but am glad for your reviews.  IEW has very defined strengths, and I  am curious to see how Fix It! helps.

I have a question, could I buy just the teacher's book and write/print out the sentences to be "fixed"?  I would read out loud and go over the instructional pages with DS.  Do you have to have the cards in the back?  What else would I be missing if I didn't purchase the student book?  Can we easily do 2 lessons a week?  DS is a young 8th grader and we use IEW for writing and spelling already.

We are on an extremely tight budget that has gotten even tighter with recent vet bills that will likely take up all of our extra money and my school budget, so I need to save where I can.

I have a question, could I buy just the teacher's book and write/print out the sentences to be "fixed"?  I would read out loud and go over the instructional pages with DS.  Do you have to have the cards in the back?  What else would I be missing if I didn't purchase the student book?  Can we easily do 2 lessons a week?  DS is a young 8th grader and we use IEW for writing and spelling already.

We are on an extremely tight budget that has gotten even tighter with recent vet bills that will likely take up all of our extra money and my school budget, so I need to save where I can.

When I was loooking at it earlier, it said that it's $19 for the teacher's guide which also includes a downloadable student book. So if you're able to print you don't have to buy a student book.

When I was loooking at it earlier, it said that it's $19 for the teacher's guide which also includes a downloadable student book. So if you're able to print you don't have to buy a student book.

That's what I love about IEW! The downloads are brilliant! just print what u need! Also hey have a no time limit 100% money back guarantee. You can't lose for trying it out!

See that's what I get for skimming the description, thank you!

Okay next question...

I have an 8th grader who has a hit and miss relationship with grammar.  He's good on the basic parts of speech, parts of a sentence, and he's doing much better at writing (thanks to IEW).  So do I need to start with book 1?  Or can I skip to Robin Hood?  I looked at the S&S of Book 1 and there are a couple things we haven't covered but not a lot.

From my understanding the update includes a lot more grammar teaching not just editing. I purchased the whole set at the cincy conference and started using book 1 with my two. We are only a couple weeks in, but so far I really like the format. It's only reviewing things they already know at this point, but my intention is to use this as a stand alone grammar program. Others may find it's not enough for their tastes, but I prefer a no muss no fuss approach. Combining it with writing and lots of rich language read alouds, I think it will suffice just fine for our goals.

It was recently revamped, so people should mention which version they are reviewing. I own both old and new, and the new is soooooo much better. It is a comprehensive grammar and editing program. We are going to start out with book 1 (The

Nose Tree) and work double-pace so we can start Robin Hood next semester.

Any idea when it was re-vamped?

See that's what I get for skimming the description, thank you!

Okay next question...

I have an 8th grader who has a hit and miss relationship with grammar.  He's good on the basic parts of speech, parts of a sentence, and he's doing much better at writing (thanks to IEW).  So do I need to start with book 1?  Or can I skip to Robin Hood?  I looked at the S&S of Book 1 and there are a couple things we haven't covered but not a lot.

From the website:

Placement

Because every book in Fix It! Grammar is foundational to the book after it, our recommendation is that all students begin with the first book: The Nose Tree. Each book includes advanced concepts, so even if your student knows much of the material, you can still begin with the first book and plan to move through it at a faster pace while adding the advanced concepts as he is ready for them. However, if you think your student has already mastered some of the concepts, use our placement test to determine where to start. Click here to download the placement test.

I think if I go with this I'll start at The Nose Tree for my 8th grader and just go faster. He's the kind of kid who benefits from a lot of review.

I have a question. If Fix-It is purchased through Amazon from IEW (rather than their website which charges shipping), will the student book still be downloadable? Or is it only available if you purchase directly from IEW's website? I'm hoping to take advantage of free prime shipping. 

There should be a blue piece of paper in the front of your book with instructions for downloading your ebook. If you order from a supplier other than IEW, you will not be eligible for the no time limit 100% money back return policy. I did return something to them one time and it was no questions asked and I do believe they even reimbursed my shipping. That is a benefit of ordering directly from IEW.

IEW has a placement test online for Fix It.  I can't remember where it is exactly, but I remember looking at it and trying to figure out which book to do with my 6th grader.  He did the old Tom Sawyer version last year, and I am not sure where to start him in the new series.  I have the first four books of the new series but haven't started using them yet.  They look better than the old version.

Regarding the OP's question--

My son used the old version last year, and his standardized test scores improved significantly because of it (IOWA, language arts editing-type of questions). 

I use Fix It as a supplement to R&S English.  Maybe it will be fine as a stand alone, but I don't trust anything until I see evidence.   ;)