Menu

iPad Apps: How do poor people back these up?

I've been in contact with Apple and I guess apps are SOMETIMES available for redownload as a COURTESY, but once you buy them, you are responsible to back them up.

How do you do that for free? I cannot sync my broken down computer with my iPad, so I can't store the apps in iTunes on a computer.

iCloud costs money, if you are backing up apps.

I have an iPad mini with a small amount of storage and have to delete apps to make enough room to do updates. And even if I don't delete them, the apps don't always make it through the update process.

I guess I won't be buying many apps from now on.

I have never backed up my apps. Plus, you can't back them up to the iCloud.

I have never had a problem redownloading an app.

I frequently delete apps from my kids' iPads (only 16GB) to install

different apps so that I can rotate which apps are on their iPads.

I have even been able to redownload apps which are no longer

available in the App store.

I have considered backing up *old* versions of an app just before

installing an update. That way I could go back to the old version

if I didn't like the new version. However, in general it is too much

of a pain so I don't do it and just trust that the new versions is fine.

Now data in an app is a totally different matter. I look for apps that

either store data in a cloud, backup to Dropbox, or have some other

way of getting data in and out of the app.

What apps have you lost?

I don't know all of what I have lost. I have two problems.

Some of my downloads will show up in iTunes and if I synced my iPad to a computer I could reinstall them that way. They don't show up under "purchased" on my iPad, though. GoodReader 4 was like that. I made them refund me, because I'd had it less than 24 hours and couldn't find it under "purchased". And if I had problems with that app, I could lose all my documents stored in it. I'll stick with the old GoodReader and am switching over to iBooks to be safer.

Some don't even show up in iTunes, not that that would do ME any good. I can only see them in my receipts.

In app add ons are often not even designed to be reinstalled with reinstallation of the app.

When I'm talking about updates, I'm talking about updating the iOS. When updating the iOS, apps can disappear and especially the in app add ons.

I tried switching over to a Kindle Fire, because I was having so much trouble with apps and it was so hard to make contact with apple. But that didn't work for me. I've developed an eye condition I'm just now starting to get treated, and I cannot see the screen as well as the iPad. And the keyboards available are nothing like those for the iPad. The screen was going to get scratched and it wasn't so portable. The narrow screen shape didn't display pdfs as well. The HDX didn't even have dropbox for an app. The number of apps for the HDX are much fewer than the HD and there is no flash and Amazon has crippled it even more than earlier versions.

So I'm back to the iPad because as an e-mail/web machine, word processor, and to view pdfs curricula, it's the best, and those are my priorities. I thought I would bring up this topic in case anyone has any ideas, and to warn people who are stocking up on apps, but are unable to back them up.

Online there are those saying there is some type of bug in the newer iOSes that hasn't been fixed even in the latest iOS, that is part of the problem. The part where purchases will show up on your computer, but not on the iPad under "purchased".

Kids with certain types of role playing games with add ons are having a terrible problem.

I can redownload all the apps I bought with my original ipad, but less than half of the ones I bought more recently with this iPad.

How bizarre. My household has three iPads and four iPhones/iPod touches, and we have never had this kind of problem. The in-app purchases have to be restored after re-installing an app, but I've never had trouble doing that, either.

I know quite a few people who never back their devices up to a PC, and have never had trouble re-downloading apps.

I'm sorry you're having this issue!

Have you tried searching the name of the app in the regular store? I rarely used purchased to get to an app I want to redownload. It should show up with a cloud icon with an arrow on it.

I've had varied results with this. Often they come up as needing to be repurchased. If it's a free app and still being sold, I can do that; but if it had in app purchases they are all gone.

I've had varied results with this. Often they come up as needing to be repurchased. If it's a free app and still being sold, I can do that; but if it had in app purchases they are all gone.

Unless the app has a "restore purchases" functionality built into the app, you will lose them if you delete the app. You can contact the app developer and see what their policy is. I remember when knitCompanion didn't have the restore button we were told to just "repurchase" the app (the unlocked version is via in app purchase) and we would not be charged. I never was. I still think you should contact the developer before doing that, however.

Very interesting.

Our iPad has been updated to the current OS. Our iPad mini is fairly new and has the current OS. We haven't had any trouble and we do have quite a few purchased Aps, but most of our Aps are from major Ap companies. I'm guessing it is about the functionality built into the Ap and that smaller developers may not be doing as much to protect consumers.

Have you changed your username and login info recently? I have had no problem re-downloading apps after I had my iPad warranty replaced because I used the same login info, but if you set up new login info then those apps wouldn't be available to you. Understand?

Also are your setting for apps set to allow all apps? I know that some of my apps have appeared to disappear when I played around with the restrictions under settings. I realized that if I set he apps to allow only apps for ages 4 and up, lots of my favorites disappeared. :)

I think this must not be a very common issue with reputable app producers.

I agree.  I've had Apple products that use apps since 2008 and I've never had this problem.  I have a TON of apps, too.  I would read reviews for apps if this is just an issue with some app developers, because I've never seen this as an issue, even switching OS and products. 

One thing that can give a person a bit of pause is that, if the application doesn't offer a way to restore in-app purchases, the only way to restore them is to go through the steps of buying them again. Then, at the last minute, after you've already pushed the button committing you to pay for the in-app purchase again, it tells you that you don't have to pay after all because you already own it.

This only applies to non-consumable in-app purchases, of course.

Applications ought to have a restore in-app purchases button, but some older or less-well-written apps don't. I think these days, Apple isn't allowing apps in the App Store that don't have a restore button.

One of the apps was GoodReader 4 and the problem arose in less than 24 hours of purchase. It showed up in the store as needing to be repurchased. I have gone over all my settings and restrictions time and time again. Apple itself says they are not responsible and apps and add ons will not always be there.

I'm glad everyone is having so much success. I did for awhile too. I didn't know this was a possibility. I just wish I'd known it was happening to some people. There were just some apps I wouldn't have stocked up on while on sale, or taken the chance of deleting. I would have been more careful.

So, there is no free way to backup without a computer? I didn't think so, but wanted to make sure. I see the kids with the roleplaying games making fun of each other about not backing up, like only stupid and lazy people don't do it.

Just the free apps are enough for me. The others are gravy for ME. So this isn't the end of the world. I just want to be aware of what all my options are.

One of the apps was GoodReader 4 and the problem arose in less than 24 hours of purchase. It showed up in the store as needing to be repurchased. I have gone over all my settings and restrictions time and time again. Apple itself says they are not responsible and apps and add ons will not always be there.

I'm glad everyone is having so much success. I did for awhile too. I didn't know this was a possibility. I just wish I'd known it was happening to some people. There were just some apps I wouldn't have stocked up on while on sale, or taken the chance of deleting. I would have been more careful.

So, there is no free way to backup without a computer? I didn't think so, but wanted to make sure. I see the kids with the roleplaying games making fun of each other about not backing up, like only stupid and lazy people don't do it.

Just the free apps are enough for me. The others are gravy for ME. So this isn't the end of the world. I just want to be aware of what all my options are.

Can you use iCloud?  It stores all of your purchases.

I am almost sure I was recharged for downloading GoodReader 4. I am almost sure I thought it wasn't possible I'd be recharged, and tried redownloading from the store to see what would happen. It was a couple months ago and I cannot be sure.

I mostly remember how hard it was to make contact with Apple and that the e-mails are weirdly formatted, so that the text doesn't wrap, and the person I was talking to was no help. I just got so frustrated I demanded a refund and went out and bought a KIndle Fire. Which turns out I couldn't see well enough to use. And was shocked to find out that there were no BASIC apps for the HDX, like dropbox.

The person I'm dealing with time is better, but the text still doesn't wrap. But she is pretty much just explaining to me what apple is NOT responsible for. And that is fine. I just want to know what I can expect.

iCloud costs money after the first couple GB, right?

I have such a love/hate relationship with technology.

I've never communicated with a real person when getting a refund on an app or an in-app purchase.

I've filled out the web form and then usually get the refund in a few days.

Yes, iCloud costs after the first few GB, but again, it will backup data but not the app files themselves.

I am almost sure I was recharged for downloading GoodReader 4. I am almost sure I thought it wasn't possible I'd be recharged, and tried redownloading from the store to see what would happen. It was a couple months ago and I cannot be sure.

I mostly remember how hard it was to make contact with Apple and that the e-mails are weirdly formatted, so that the text doesn't wrap, and the person I was talking to was no help. I just got so frustrated I demanded a refund and went out and bought a KIndle Fire. Which turns out I couldn't see well enough to use. And was shocked to find out that there were no BASIC apps for the HDX, like dropbox.

The person I'm dealing with time is better, but the text still doesn't wrap. But she is pretty much just explaining to me what apple is NOT responsible for. And that is fine. I just want to know what I can expect.

iCloud costs money after the first couple GB, right?

I have such a love/hate relationship with technology.

I've never paid for iCloud with my usage.  It depends on how much storage you need and for what.  It backs up my apps and pictures but I just have it ignore everything else. :)  

If you can find the file on your computer, you can upload to google drive to save it, maybe?  I'm not sure.  I know mine is just linked to my account, so I can sign in anywhere and download what I have.

• 4 weeks later...

We aren't terribly poor, but we save a bunch of money by not buying Apple products.  

:lol:

I continue to be confused as to why this is an issue for Hunter, because I don't do anything special and I've re-downloaded apps. I make zero effort to back up my iPad apps. I am sorry this is such a problem for you. I have an older os because I don't like that flat looking one.