Menu

PSA: de-skunking solution

Word Nerd

I can now personally recommend the remedy below for getting skunk spray off a pet. (This mixture was also Confirmed in a Myth Busters segment.) Our kitty wasn't enthused about the whole experience—nor were DD and I, for that matter—but he calmed down during his "massage" with the solution. It immediately took away the worst of the smell, and now all but a faint whiff of skunky smell is gone.

Mix the following in a small bucket (some recipes call for different amounts of baking soda, and some sources say hand soap works better than dish soap at removing the oil). Put on rubber gloves and work the mixture into a lather on the pet, taking care to avoid getting it in the eyes, nose, and ears. Leave the mixture on the animal for 5 minutes or so until the odor is minimized, then rinse with tepid water. 

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap 

That sounds a lot less messy than the old tomato juice bath remedy. I gave my dog one of those once. It worked, but oh, the mess! Fortunately our current dog is not one who likes to stay outside unless his humans are with him (and therefore has less of a chance of meeting a skunk) and our cat is an indoor cat, but that doesn't mean future pets won't tangle with a skunk.

I will keep this in mind for next time. The only reason I didn't use this recipe yesterday on my friend's dog is because someone here on another board said it could possibly strip the natural color from the dog's hair. I didn't want my friends to come home and find their golden retriever is now a platinum blond! I bought the Nature's Remedy skunk solution at PetSmart yesterday and it works pretty well, although she still has a faint skunk odor this morning.

This does work wonders.  The soap helps remove the oils and the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide reaction creates an "oxygen machine" that help deodorize.  Don't combine the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide until right before using it.  Be warned that, in certain animals, that it can cause a color change.  My dog (a "cafe au lait" labradoodle) got lighter with more red undertones after his treatment.

This does work wonders.  The soap helps remove the oils and the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide reaction creates an "oxygen machine" that help deodorize.  Don't combine the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide until right before using it.  Be warned that, in certain animals, that it can cause a color change.  My dog (a "cafe au lait" labradoodle) got lighter with more red undertones after his treatment.

Do you think using vinegar with the baking soda will help? Rosie still really stinks even with the Nature's remedy.

From what I have read, hydrogen peroxide is much more effective - maybe because it releases more oxygen in the process.  I would imagine a dog smelling like vinegar on top of skunk would be pretty awful.  You can get the H202 at any drug store.  I would not worry about the coat changing colors too much - it will probably get a little lighter.  Unless the dog is a show dog, it will be worth it. (I barely noticed the change in our dog as he does get more highlights in the summer anyway - just like me.  I only knew about it because a friend, who shows sheltied, was aghast at what we did.)  With our dog, we had to repeat the process once because he is a larger dog. 

Do you think using vinegar with the baking soda will help? Rosie still really stinks even with the Nature's remedy.

It doesn't work as well as hydrogen peroxide. It's not on the animal very long anyway—any lightening would be minor, and I didn't notice any on our cat.

Our dog got sprayed last Friday. We have done baking soda, vinegar, and dawn dish soap three times and the natures remedy once. He still smells so bad!

I wanted to do the hydrogen peroxide from the beginning but everyone was resistant. I have since stopped by the vet and they recommend it also. I am giving the dog a weeks break from the shower as the last one was not fun for anyone! Then we'll be using the HP!!

I've used this recipe several times over the years. Yes, it works, and yes, you'll still have some residual odor for a little while, particularly around the face (which you have to be careful about, as you don't want stuff in their eyes). My dogs usually have to sleep in a crate outside for a day or two before being allowed back in the house.

Also, I usually do the treatment twice... once right away, and again the next morning when the sun is up and I can see what I'm doing. ;) Sometimes they can come inside after the second treatment. My dogs have never had any discoloration from the treatment. They all have black on them.

I've had to use this on 4 different dogs, multiple times for some of the dogs. I am paranoid about letting the dogs out at night now, especially around dusk. The worst skunking was when my new adoptee got out and it was freezing cold. My neighbor called to say he had her and she was stinky. That outside hose bath was awful! I was able to bring her in the house for the second treatment the next day in the bathtub.