Menu

When you scan a photo do you keep the hardcopy?

momee

I am thinking of going back to film for photography for important family memories because the digital images lifespan is constantly endangered by technology change and the lifespan of the preservation media (CDs, USBs don't last forever--remember floppy disks????). Properly printed and stored photos can last a hundred years. Floppy disks lasted maybe 10? CDs get scratched. I can use digital for my less important pictures and request a CD when I print my film (best of both worlds).

Yes. It's not clear if photos printed these days are going to have the staying power of older photos.

Black and white photos seem to last longer. I don't know if color printing technology has improved recently, but my "old" color photos (10-20 years ago) are already fading. I want to scan them and get them reprinted as black and white photos. (The negatives might still be fine, but I haven't looked to see. I don't know if most people have hung on to their negatives -- or ever had them to start with)

CD's, btw, seem indestructible, but apparently they break down after 10 years or so, even in good storage.

We're already losing data stored on CD's from that short a time ago. It's not just that the technology changes and makes things unreadable.

The companies producing these things may say they'll last forever, but the truth is, they only have a few years of data to back up this claim. Black and white photos, though, have stood the test of time.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether a black and white photo printed now is using the same technology as one printed 50 years ago.

I keep the ones that are really special, but no-one needs 10,000 photos documenting their life. I go by how I would feel if that particular photo somehow disappeared. Most of them I don't feel strongly about, so they get tossed. I want my grandkids and great-grandkids to have some mementos of my life, but I figure a few special photos will be more meaningful to them than boxes full they can't identify.