Menu

Explain Keurig AND reusable coffee filters as if I were 4 years old

ThisIsTheDay

We are thinking of getting this for dd for her new college apt.  But I have no idea what it is, other than this:

Keurig = one cup coffeemaker with those $$ K-cups.

Reusable coffee filter = eliminates K-cup, she can put her own coffee in.

Pros?  And is there a travel mug that fits so she can take coffee with her?

Cons?

I know nothing.  Please help!

Our Keurig came with 2 different plastic adapters or coffee filter holders, if you want to think of it that way -- one you use with the disposable cups and one you use with the refillable filter.  Ours also came with a refillable metal mesh filter.  I only use this and find it easy to use. I pour the coffee from the bag into the filter. I keep a small plastic tub by the unit for the used grinds which I eventually put around my hydrangea or blueberry shrubs. (( I make 2-3 cups of coffee a day and I do not rise out the filter in between each cup.)) 

We have about 6 inches between the base of the unit and the liquid dispenser.  There is also a removable base, about 1 inch tall, for catching drips.  So if she has a travel mug that size she could use it easily.

Initially when DH bought it, I really didn't like it.  But now I have found a coffee I like and enjoy that each time you get a freshly brewed cup of coffee.  I do think the disposable cups are a terrible amount of trash though but the refillable is very easy to use.  Oh, I purchased an extra refillable cup, a different style, and it did not work nearly as well as the type that came with the unit.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'd recommend a regular one cup coffee brewer instead.  They're much cheaper, can brew directly into a travel mug (tall opening), and cost $20-25.  They're not as "cool", but because they're inexpensive there's also less worry about it getting broke in college.  IMO they also allow a stronger brew because you can get a lot more coffee grounds into them.  I had one similar to the Black N Decker Brew N Go personal coffeemaker on amazon.  I really liked it, much better than my Keurig.

With Keurig and the re-usable filter cups, there's just as much "work" as a one cup coffee brewer, so there's no time or effort saver.  And the disposables are WAY too expensive for me.  I also, like PP, got used to it after time.  I honestly liked the other types better.  They're smaller, quicker, easier for the grounds to clean out, etc. 

For other coffee ideas, consider a French press (just add hot water but difficult to clean IMO), or a drip filter that you just place on top of a cup and add hot water to and it works by gravity.

Congrats on her going to college!

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'd recommend a regular one cup coffee brewer instead.  They're much cheaper, can brew directly into a travel mug (tall opening), and cost $20-25.  They're not as "cool", but because they're inexpensive there's also less worry about it getting broke in college.  IMO they also allow a stronger brew because you can get a lot more coffee grounds into them.  I had one similar to the Black N Decker Brew N Go personal coffeemaker on amazon.  I really liked it, much better than my Keurig.

With Keurig and the re-usable filter cups, there's just as much "work" as a one cup coffee brewer, so there's no time or effort saver.  And the disposables are WAY too expensive for me.  I also, like PP, got used to it after time.  I honestly liked the other types better.  They're smaller, quicker, easier for the grounds to clean out, etc. 

For other coffee ideas, consider a French press (just add hot water but difficult to clean IMO), or a drip filter that you just place on top of a cup and add hot water to and it works by gravity.

Congrats on her going to college!

This is adrawback to the Keurig, IMO.  You cannot use much coffee at at time so if you like a stronger cup of coffee, you have to make a small cup each time. 

ETA: I think a one cup brewer does sound like a good option.  And also, GL to your daughter!

I'd use a regular drip coffee maker (a mini one) before using the refillable k-cups. The Keurig is a convenience for me, the little refillable filter is much more of a PITA than a small cone filter, and without the sealed k-cups, it loses what is (IMO) the next biggest benefit - having different blends on hand w/out them getting stale.

Instead of a Keurig, I would get her a Bunn My Café MCU.   You can use the K-cups, your own grounds, other pods, brew tea, and get hot water.  It takes up less space than the Keurig, and BUNN's customer service is much better and they have a two year warranty. I had 3 (or was it 4?) pumps/Keurig machines go out on me, usually around 12-18 months.  The warranty is only for 12 months, and after that they'll usually only offer to sell you a machine at a reduced rate. 

I'd link you, but I can't on my tablet :P.

The only problem we had was that we were not sentient enough to use the Aeropress before that first cup of coffee. 

Same here. I'm not dexterous enough in the morning to separate those tiny filters (nor organized enough in the evening to get one ready ahead of time).

My one complaint about the refillable KCup is that it tends to make markedly weaker coffee than the prefilled ones. I've seen some clever workarounds (using a rinsed-out plastic KCup), but I haven't yet put one to the test.

Off to look into the Bunn machine JudoMom mentioned...

Your answers have been really helpful. Dh thought a Keurig or Keurig-type might be a great idea, but based on what you said, I think dd would actually prefer a regular coffee maker. I know she'd want big cups of coffee, and it would be easy to pour anything into a travel mug, if she wanted. 

She was in a regular dorm room last year and had to "make do" with a microwave, but she'll have a full kitchen this year, and that is really exciting!

This would have been a nice splurge/surprise from us, but now I'm thinking she would only feel guilty that it wasn't as convenient for how she might use it.

:) I appreciate the comments!

Buy an Aeropress. Excellent coffee. **Minimal** clean up. My Keurig has been retired.

I realize this is appallingly lazy of me, but I read the description and was dismayed at the thought of holding it down for 30 seconds, lol. Too. many. steps! for a morning cup. 

Maybe for an afternoon cuppa, though. Does it leave sediment like a French press? 

I realize this is appallingly lazy of me, but I read the description and was dismayed at the thought of holding it down for 30 seconds, lol. Too. many. steps! for a morning cup. 

Maybe for an afternoon cuppa, though. Does it leave sediment like a French press? 

No, because of the filter. It is good coffee. But I adore my Keurig. But I LOVE variety. So for me the fun in the keurig is all the different flavors. I have 4 kinds of regular k-cups plus 1 kind of decaf in my kitchen right now. I love being able to have whatever I'm in the mood for. So for me, the reusable k-cup would be pointless. I'd just brew regular coffee.