Menu

Sleep supplements

Night Elf

I take Ambien for insomnia. It doesn't help me fall asleep, only stay asleep. However, I'd like to get off of it completely. I still need something to help me sleep. I've tried Benadryl and Melatonin. Regular doses don't help and I'm not sure how high I can go on those. What other supplements are there to help me sleep? I feel ready to order something but don't know where to start.

Valerian root helps a lot of people. It actually kept me awake though. But then, many things do the opposite for me that they do for everybody else. 

Right now, I am taking generic Unisom (doxylamine). It is supposed to be a bit stronger than diphenhydramine, which is the active ingredient in Benadryl (if I spelled it right, lol). I took the generic Benadryl for a long time, and sometimes still alternate between it and the Unisom. I also take an extra dose of magnesium and some melatonin about an hour before bed. Still doesn't always help. Mine is hormone related due to hysterectomy.

My doctor thinks the insomnia is linked to my bipolar 2 disorder since it's a common thing. I told DH I was going to order a few different things to try so I thank you for your suggestions. I'll give them a try. I need to figure this out before school for my dd starts back next month when I have to wake at 6:30am every morning feeling rested.

When you said you've taken melatonin, was it a pill that you swallow or the sublingual kind that dissolves in your mouth? I found the sublingual kind really works for me, but the pill version didn't do a thing. And as far as I know, melatonin is safe in high doses. I've tried between 1 and 5 mg depending on my stress level at any given time, and they all worked fine.

When you said you've taken melatonin, was it a pill that you swallow or the sublingual kind that dissolves in your mouth? I found the sublingual kind really works for me, but the pill version didn't do a thing. And as far as I know, melatonin is safe in high doses. I've tried between 1 and 5 mg depending on my stress level at any given time, and they all worked fine.

This is me exactly! Only the sublingual at 3mg works. Any swallowed pill type doesn't do anything. I take mine about an hour before I want to be asleep.