Menu

Questions about McHenry's Botany and Cells

lewelma

I just went to order Botany in 8 lessons off of Book Depository and there is a dark green book (same as on her website.) and a paler student text. http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=botany+in+8+lessons&search=Find+book  The student text is less than half the price. I'm a bit confused as I did not see the student text on her website.  Does the dark green book contain both the teacher  and student materials, but then you can just buy an extra student text if you want. Or do I need to buy both books? Can someone please explain it to me!

Also, has anyone used Cells?   What is your impression?

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

I just bought the dark green book and that was all I needed.  It contained student lessons and teacher's lessons (resources, tests, answer keys).  DD did not write in the book; she wrote her answers on a separate sheet of paper so DS can use the book eventually.  I haven't ordered "Cells" yet, so can't answer that. 

We're using Cells at the moment. DS is 13. Biology is not his thing (he's a physics and mechanics guy). Cells is pretty intense. It does a great job of presenting a lot of cellular biology in very understandable terms. It may contain too much info for lower high school, but I'm not obsessing over retention, just understanding mixed with wonder (understanding on DS's side and wonder on mine may be the best I can hope for - my degree is in molecular biology so I'm loving it, DS not so much.....)

D

We did botany when it was free and incomplete. It was my least favorite of her materials, though I find botany kind of dull inherently, so the problem might have been mine. Cells was awesome and a good challenge for my kids.

Thanks Deee and Momling for the reviews

DS wants to do a science fair project on the effect of trails on the diversity of alpine plants, so he definitely has an interest in botany!  Hopefully the completed material is better than when you used it Momling.

If botany goes well, I might get cells.  But I have just bought The Way Life Works (because my library lost it. sniff).  And I'm wondering how much overlap there is.

Thanks Deee and Momling for the reviews

DS wants to do a science fair project on the effect of trails on the diversity of alpine plants, so he definitely has an interest in botany!  Hopefully the completed material is better than when you used it Momling.

If botany goes well, I might get cells.  But I have just bought The Way Life Works (because my library lost it. sniff).  And I'm wondering how much overlap there is.

That's a good question.  Let me know if you figure out an answer! I have The Way Life Works - the textbook version - but I've got my eye on Cells. . . 

ETA: I used Botany when it was free, too.  It was fine, but kind of dull.  Even though I'm an agroecologist, I do not love botany, and have never seen a FUN!! botany program.  I like the book Botany for Gardeners best, I think.  

Not quite sure how to jazz up Botany.  but we will try!  Perhaps studying it at night together in a 1920's hand built hut at the top of the Tararua ranges next to an open fire will help!  Then we can go out and collect some alpine plants and identify all the parts.  :001_smile:

He is a link to photos

Not quite sure how to jazz up Botany.  but we will try!  Perhaps studying it at night together in a 1920's hand built hut at the top of the Tararua ranges next to an open fire will help!  Then we can go out and collect some alpine plants and identify all the parts.  :001_smile:

He is a link to photos

Um, yeah???? That looks awesome!

The way I jazz it up for my kids is to let them come to the nursery with me when I pick plants for projects, and let them help me schlep them out in the field and lay them out at their planting spots, and let them come along on monitoring visits.  But that's all more ecology than botany - I haven't figured out how to make that exciting yet!  Although they are impressed that I know the Latin names of all the plants when we're hiking.  ;)

I am looking at the same studies for next year as well, but I was planning to go with the digital download for Botany from her website (Ellen McHenry's Basement Workshop). It has both the student and teacher text for $14.95. I know that I'll have to print the color pages separately (we have a B&W laserjet and a separate printer for judicious use of color). Other than color printing, is there a significant drawback to the digital download?

I am chuckling at everyone's personal responses about botany vs. biology. My hubby (has a biology degree) strongly suggested I teach botany first because it will be an easier introduction, but he wanted to tell me to go with Cells first.

Look up the book "What a Plant Knows" by Daniel Chamowitz. It is fascinating; it compares much of the physiology of plants to human senses and systems. We know plants don't have eyes, but they do detect and respond to light; many respond to touch in fascinating ways. Plants have sensors in their root tips that orient to gravity in much the same way as the otoliths in our ears do! There is much more. He teaches a course by the same name in Coursera that I found fabulous; it might be hard for a middle schooler to stay riveted to, but you could use the relatively slim book to teach a really fabulous botany course.

Not quite sure how to jazz up Botany. but we will try! Perhaps studying it at night together in a 1920's hand built hut at the top of the Tararua ranges next to an open fire will help! Then we can go out and collect some alpine plants and identify all the parts. :001_smile:

He is a link to photos

Look up the book "What a Plant Knows" by Daniel Chamowitz. It is fascinating; it compares much of the physiology of plants to human senses and systems. We know plants don't have eyes, but they do detect and respond to light; many respond to touch in fascinating ways. Plants have sensors in their root tips that orient to gravity in much the same way as the otoliths in our ears do! There is much more. He teaches a course by the same name in Coursera that I found fabulous; it might be hard for a middle schooler to stay riveted to, but you could use the relatively slim book to teach a really fabulous botany course.

Ooooh, it is in our library! Thanks!

Wow. Just WOW!

This will be the first time we try to do our research away from home. It is about a 1.5 hour drive to the trail head and about a 5 hour hike to the hut. I've been doing my knee exercises so I can hopefully care the weight of the food UP (and it is very UP -- sea level to alpine in 5 hours. :eek: )

Found What a Plant Knows at the library.  What a wonderful book, it looks perfect!  I think I will have him read it himself, but we will do some preparation for each chapter by studying how human senses work (like the eyes or ears) so that when he hits it in the chapter it will be review.

Thanks heaps.

I loved Botany!  Not only did I learn about plants, but I finally understand how chemical bonds form and change into different things after her excellent description of photosynthesis.  I am actually going to use carbon chemistry, the elements, and mapping the world with art this next year.  I think she is an excellent teacher!  Btw, I had both botany books but only needed the green one.  I just made photocopies of the student pages.