Menu

topical relief for muscle/joint pain?

Laurie4b

Muscle and joint pain is a side-effect of a medication I have to take. Most of the time it's manageable; however, sometimes after working out, the pain is quite intense. I try not to take ibuprofen, etc. unless I have to.

When I was a kid, and I had "growing pains", my parents would apply Ben-Gay. It seemed to really work then. Not so much now. It's much more liquidy than I remembered (though the smell is the same!) and it takes quite a while for any effect to kick in, and then it's mild. What else is out there that might be more effective?

I recently read an article about Arnica gel and how effective it is for muscle/joint pain, but I have no firsthand experience with it.  You might give it a shot.

My grandmother uses Arnica for pain in her shoulder. She says it works wonderful. My mom has used it in the past as well with good results.

FWIW -- My doctor is a huge proponent of topicals for pain relief. But he says how well they work depends on the area.  He says with smaller joints like knuckles they tend to work very well.  With larger joints the pain is often centered much deeper and they don't always work that well.  I assume the same would be true of muscle pain, that a topical would work better for muscle pain closer to the surface of the skin but maybe not so well for deeper muscle pain.  He recommends trying some of the OTC topicals and if they don't work satisfactorily then trying a prescription.  He told me the name of the prescription topical that his patients seem to have had the best results with, but unfortunately I've forgotten it.

FWIW -- My doctor is a huge proponent of topicals for pain relief. But he says how well they work depends on the area. He says with smaller joints like knuckles they tend to work very well. With larger joints the pain is often centered much deeper and they don't always work that well. I assume the same would be true of muscle pain, that a topical would work better for muscle pain closer to the surface of the skin but maybe not so well for deeper muscle pain. He recommends trying some of the OTC topicals and if they don't work satisfactorily then trying a prescription. He told me the name of the prescription topical that his patients seem to have had the best results with, but unfortunately I've forgotten it.

I would imagine he was talking about Voltaren, which I use. It is topical Diclofenac, an NSAID. It is by Rx in the US, but funnily enough OTC in the UK where I get it much more inexpensively!

And you are right, it definitely depends on location of the aches!

ETA: when I was in Hawaii a few weeks ago I bought a small bottle of a Hawaiian topical pain relief product by a company called Noni on the advice of a local. I wouldn't say it was the best thing ever, but I WAS pleasantly suprised. I love that it is all natural and vegetarian:)

http://kauaimade.net/listing/hawaiian-health-ohana/

I recently read an article about Arnica gel and how effective it is for muscle/joint pain, but I have no firsthand experience with it. You might give it a shot.

I was going to suggest Arnica gel/cream. There are various brands on the market. Arnica is an herb that is supposed to relieve those symptoms.

Biofreeze leaves a cold feeling on the skin (have to get it from a Massage/chiro office or online)

Tiger Balm leaves a warm feeling on the skin (can find in most grocery stores, pharmacies or stores like Fred Meyer)

Arnica (topical or oral) I don't think it leaves me hot or cold.  (available in health food stores, nutrition centers, some pharmacies)

Thanks, everyone! I will look into these suggestions. It's also helpful to know the effects might vary by location. Unfortunately, I tolerate the pain better in my hands (maybe because it's a smaller area), but get really distracted by it if it's all around my knee or ankle and into the calf or thigh.