Menu

They've changed their minds and want to stay home for HS

Two of my three high schoolers are very outgoing and last year they really missed being with their peer group at school. For reasons that I don't need to go into here, all three have homeschooled for the past 1 1/2 years. One of them has been very happy homeschooling and does not desire to go back, but the other two have been begging to go back and made a very well put together case to go back during spring break. We listened, talked, and decided that they could return to our private school starting next fall. Everything has been set up.

Today my daughter came to me and told me that she's been praying about this and that, "I don't think it's in my best interest to go back to school." She went on to say that she learns far more here than she does at school and that she wants to continue to be challenged academically. She shared that she was being selfish and only wanted to go back for social reasons, but in her heart she knows that is not what's best for her long term. "We see our friends plenty and that won't stop because we're home. Can I stay home next year?" My son came into the room, agreed with her and asked if he could stay home too.

I'm blown away about all of this. We are very proud of the way they are making decisions for their adult selves.

The reason that I brought it here? Because I am A.M.A.Z.E.D. by this and had to share with others that would understand my joy.

They liked what we did......they really did like what we did!  :cheers2:

I'm going to ride this feeling out for awhile.

Thank you for letting me share.

Traci

Two of my three high schoolers are very outgoing and last year they really missed being with their peer group at school. For reasons that I don't need to go into here, all three have homeschooled for the past 1 1/2 years. One of them has been very happy homeschooling and does not desire to go back, but the other two have been begging to go back and made a very well put together case to go back during spring break. We listened, talked, and decided that they could return to our private school starting next fall. Everything has been set up.

Today my daughter came to me and told me that she's been praying about this and that, "I don't think it's in my best interest to go back to school." She went on to say that she learns far more here than she does at school and that she wants to continue to be challenged academically. She shared that she was being selfish and only wanted to go back for social reasons, but in her heart she knows that is not what's best for her long term. "We see our friends plenty and that won't stop because we're home. Can I stay home next year?" My son came into the room, agreed with her and asked if he could stay home too.

I'm blown away about all of this. We are very proud of the way they are making decisions for their adult selves.

The reason that I brought it here? Because I am A.M.A.Z.E.D. by this and had to share with others that would understand my joy.

They liked what we did......they really did like what we did! :cheers2:

I'm going to ride this feeling out for awhile.

Thank you for letting me share.

Traci

Whoo hoo!

:)

Good for you!

My DD has always attended the local PS for PE and/or music only.  This past year she did flute and band.  Each and every year she tells me that she never wants to go to PS full-time.  I never even ask her the question; she just makes it plain and clear that it's not going to happen. While she enjoys the 2 classes she does take, she can't stand the culture or the disrespect she sees directed towards the teachers by the students.

Wooohooo! :) Clapping hands, too!

I know exactly how you feel, we let our oldest go to public school; after a year in 10th grade he said, "I think that I'd be much better off to go back to homeschooling." It was quite an affirmation! I just felt my heart and spirit soar. So I can really relate, Traci.  

He realized that he wasn't missing any interesting social life at all--that he would rather create a social life outside of school. And also, that by studying at home, he would be able to study things in a way that made more sense.

It makes the challenges, arguments etc. all worthwhile, doesn't it?

Buck has said the same thing.  Yeah, he likes having more control over his week so he can work also, but he has told me several times that he's getting a much better education at home than he would at school.  

Awesome!  My rising 10th grader shocked the heck out of me by deciding she wants to stay home for the next three years.  She was homeschooled through 8th, went to 9th and loved it, and often said she'd never be homeschooled again.