Menu

Did you go through a mourning period when you finished having children?

AimeeM

Yes.  

No dramatic health problems here, just that we had two, back-to-back, and planned to wait a few years and have two more back-to-back.  We waited those few more years and Trap didn't really want to start over.  "Remember how much fun we had before we had kids?  Don't you look forward to the empty-nest years?"

I was really disappointed but as time went by, I agreed with him.  I've gotten to where I don't want to start over again, either.  

Yes.  I always wanted a huge family, because I'm an only child and don't have any cousins or extended family that live near us.  We had lots of infertility issues, so again, I do feel blessed to have 2 healthy, wonderful children.  But I love kids, and that yearning never goes away.  Dh is also much older than me and I'm 47, so he did have a vasectomy 5 years ago.  Prior to that, I always hoped that we would somehow be blessed with a little miracle, even though the odds were against us.

Now that my dc are getting older, that yearning is even worse!  Honestly, I feel something must be wrong with me, that I need to work on some things because I just feel this sense of loss.  I'm glad they are growing up on the one hand-I mean I'm enjoying these stages with them, but I feel loss.  I would love to adopt or be a foster parent, but dh is just not open to that.

I really feel for you, because I can't imagine knowing at 29 that that was it. :grouphug:

Oh, yes, absolutely; especially because I loved every stage of their babyhood.  After multiple miscarriages, I just realized that I had simply aged out of the baby-making business.  Sometimes I kick myself for waiting so long to have kids (I was 40 when my first was born), and other times I tell myself that had I not waited I likely would not have the particular kids I have.  I can say that it has made me more appreciative of what I do have and I value each one of my kids' life stages more now, because I know this is it. 

Not too badly.  We were content with two, but we had a nagging feeling that we needed to add a 3rd.  We had every intention on adopting a little girl, but when that little boy's photo was handed to me, I could not say now.  He was so adorable!

We have 3 boys.  

There are times when I look at little girls and feel that I missed out, but then I look at the teen girls and feel that I really didn't!  :lol: