Menu

What can my college-age daughter do in Hawaii for 6 weeks?

J-rap

One of my daughters has chronic migraines...chronic in that she has now had one 24 hours/day for four years, without even an hour of relief.  She has tried everything, EVERYTHING.  We do live in an area where the weather fluctuates wildly, and we know that this is a huge trigger for the intensity of her headaches.  As a trial, she would like to move to Hawaii for six weeks or so...  We have researched and been told over and over again that one of the best places to live for weather/barometric pressure-related chronic headaches is in Hawaii.  She is a great gal, very conscientious and hard working, and is looking for a short-term, not too stressful stint.  I'd like to help her find something and thought some of you resourceful ladies might have some ideas!  Volunteer work, a short-term low stress school, a filler job for someone on maternity leave...  She would definitely want a focus while there.

She is not looking to live there permanently so doesn't want to commit herself to a permanent job or school;  although, if it gave her relief then she would of course alter her plans.  She is looking to go in the fall.

I went to Hawaii for the summer the year I graduated high school.  It was very hard to find any sort of job other than housekeeper at a hotel, or working in the pineapple factory.  I lived with a bunch of other college kids and everyone had a job of this sort.  Things may have changed since my day; I admit that it was a lonnnnng time ago.  However, she could spend 4 of the 6 weeks looking for a job, so it's better to go in with realistic expectations.  There is probably a way to scope this out online.

I hope she finds relief for her migraines.  I have a friend who moved there for this and other health reasons and she has found great relief from all her ailments.  :0)

She may need more than six weeks to evaluate the potential benefits. If she is enrolled in a mainland college, can she transfer to a Hawaiian college for a whole semester or more? I always heard tourists / guests are welcome but permanent relocation is not so welcome. However, there is always a path somewhere. Hope she finds relief for her headaches. What an awful way to have to live.

We were just on Oahu for an extended vacation. We stayed at the Disney Aulani, and were so impressed by the sheer number of pleasant young people employed there. We chatted with several of them and many were there working for the summer and spoke very highly o the experience. A huge range of jobs, even working in the Auntie's Beach House Keiki club. Very clean, HAPPY family resort.

http://aulani.jobs/

The other thing that springs to mind other than the obvious tourist service industry would be at the Polynesian Culture Center. The purpose of the place is to hire as many full-time BYU students as possible, but they do have SOME jobs for young people outside of those. Unfortunately, you can't apply until you are there...

http://www.polynesia.com/employment-faq.html#.U68Fdre9Kc0

I was going to suggest the national park system, but honestly, with migraines she will probably want to stay away from Big Island and the air from the volcanoes:(

One of my daughters has chronic migraines...chronic in that she has now had one 24 hours/day for four years, without even an hour of relief.  She has tried everything, EVERYTHING.  We do live in an area where the weather fluctuates wildly, and we know that this is a huge trigger for the intensity of her headaches.  As a trial, she would like to move to Hawaii for six weeks or so...  We have researched and been told over and over again that one of the best places to live for weather/barometric pressure-related chronic headaches is in Hawaii.  She is a great gal, very conscientious and hard working, and is looking for a short-term, not too stressful stint.  I'd like to help her find something and thought some of you resourceful ladies might have some ideas!  Volunteer work, a short-term low stress school, a filler job for someone on maternity leave...  She would definitely want a focus while there.

She is not looking to live there permanently so doesn't want to commit herself to a permanent job or school;  although, if it gave her relief then she would of course alter her plans.  She is looking to go in the fall.

Hmmm. I wonder if her sinuses might be pressing on a nerve? That might be why weather affects her so badly.

Anyway, I know you say she's tried everything, but has she tried a Cefaly headband? It is used in Canada, parts of Europe and Africa and is under FDA review in the US now. It uses TENS technology.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/03/13/289787263/electronic-headband-prevents-migraines-with-tiny-jolts

http://reviews.costco.ca/2070-en_ca/10353011/stx-med-cefaly-anti-migraine-device-reviews/reviews.htm

Another device that she could consider (if you already haven't) is a PEMF device designed for migraines although I've read about individuals who've been helped with PEMF mats and the PEMF Sota device. PEMF devices are being studied (finally) by the NIH for a number of health issues but have been used for years in Europe and Russia. My husband and I have used one for joint pain -- very successfully -- when nothing else helped. A doctor in the US who uses PEMF devices in his practice is Dr. Pawluk. You can contact him for suggestions if you're interested.

http://drpawluk.com/updates/pemf-therapy-and-psychiatric-and-neurological-conditions/

I'm just throwing the above info out there for you to consider if you haven't already. It's kind of new and *out there* at least for the US. It's not very mainstream.

As for Hawaii, maybe she could volunteer with someone who runs a massage, yoga or rolfing business, something like that. Some people volunteer to pick fruit that would go to waste and distribute it to families who can't afford it. I forget the name of the group that does this, though. Mrs. Mungo lives there and she might have some good ideas.

Good luck to your daughter. I hope she's able to get some relief.

I went to Hawaii for the summer the year I graduated high school.  It was very hard to find any sort of job other than housekeeper at a hotel, or working in the pineapple factory.  I lived with a bunch of other college kids and everyone had a job of this sort.  Things may have changed since my day; I admit that it was a lonnnnng time ago.  However, she could spend 4 of the 6 weeks looking for a job, so it's better to go in with realistic expectations.  There is probably a way to scope this out online.

I hope she finds relief for her migraines.  I have a friend who moved there for this and other health reasons and she has found great relief from all her ailments.  :0)

Was this on Oahu?  Doesn't sound like much, but on the other hand, she would take what she could get!  At least nowadays you can do some research ahead of time online...  Thanks for the well wishes.  Interesting to hear about your friend.

She may need more than six weeks to evaluate the potential benefits. If she is enrolled in a mainland college, can she transfer to a Hawaiian college for a whole semester or more? I always heard tourists / guests are welcome but permanent relocation is not so welcome. However, there is always a path somewhere. Hope she finds relief for her headaches. What an awful way to have to live.

She'd be willing to do a not too stressful semester abroad, but has had to postpone full-time college until she finds some relief from the pain.  Thanks for the well wishes!  She is a very optimistic person and continues to move forward with her life and interests, but it is really difficult to live with pain daily and at such a young age.

We were just on Oahu for an extended vacation. We stayed at the Disney Aulani, and were so impressed by the sheer number of pleasant young people employed there. We chatted with several of them and many were there working for the summer and spoke very highly o the experience. A huge range of jobs, even working in the Auntie's Beach House Keiki club. Very clean, HAPPY family resort.

http://aulani.jobs/

The other thing that springs to mind other than the obvious tourist service industry would be at the Polynesian Culture Center. The purpose of the place is to hire as many full-time BYU students as possible, but they do have SOME jobs for young people outside of those. Unfortunately, you can't apply until you are there...

http://www.polynesia.com/employment-faq.html#.U68Fdre9Kc0

I was going to suggest the national park system, but honestly, with migraines she will probably want to stay away from Big Island and the air from the volcanoes:(

The resort looks really great -- thanks for the recommendation.  My daughter is a musician so I'm sure would be especially interested in something related to the entertainment/resort industry in some form.  Looks like a huge range of job possibilities.  That's a good thought about the big island and volcanoes -- I hadn't thought of that but you're probably right.

Hmmm. I wonder if her sinuses might be pressing on a nerve? That might be why weather affects her so badly.

Anyway, I know you say she's tried everything, but has she tried a Cefaly headband? It is used in Canada, parts of Europe and Africa and is under FDA review in the US now. It uses TENS technology.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/03/13/289787263/electronic-headband-prevents-migraines-with-tiny-jolts

http://reviews.costco.ca/2070-en_ca/10353011/stx-med-cefaly-anti-migraine-device-reviews/reviews.htm

Another device that she could consider (if you already haven't) is a PEMF device designed for migraines although I've read about individuals who've been helped with PEMF mats and the PEMF Sota device. PEMF devices are being studied (finally) by the NIH for a number of health issues but have been used for years in Europe and Russia. My husband and I have used one for joint pain -- very successfully -- when nothing else helped. A doctor in the US who uses PEMF devices in his practice is Dr. Pawluk. You can contact him for suggestions if you're interested.

http://drpawluk.com/updates/pemf-therapy-and-psychiatric-and-neurological-conditions/

I'm just throwing the above info out there for you to consider if you haven't already. It's kind of new and *out there* at least for the US. It's not very mainstream.

As for Hawaii, maybe she could volunteer with someone who runs a massage, yoga or rolfing business, something like that. Some people volunteer to pick fruit that would go to waste and distribute it to families who can't afford it. I forget the name of the group that does this, though. Mrs. Mungo lives there and she might have some good ideas.

Good luck to your daughter. I hope she's able to get some relief.

Very interesting, thank you for those sites.  I have heard about those magnetic and electric stimulation devices, and I'll admit those are about the only two things she hasn't tried yet, but I had been looking into them.  We are of course willing to try anything, and have definitely covered all of the mainstream treatments and a lot of alternative ones as well.  I will definitely research those sites.

I think the big question is whether she would be able to support herself long-term. Cost of living is very high. We live on Oahu, if you have specific questions.

Well, she would have enough to last her short-term, but that's all at this point.  She mostly wants to do this as a trial for now, to see if it really makes a difference.  If it did, then we would get more serious about helping her figure out how to make it work long-term.

And thank you, I'll definitely keep you in mind with any Oahu-related questions we have!  :)  That's great to know!

My dh, who is a chronic migraine sufferer, had a very hard time in HI. We were there for 3 weeks and he really struggled with the tropical weather fluctuations. I'm glad she's doing a trial!

Where we are now (northern Ca) is the best it's ever been.

Was this on Oahu? Doesn't sound like much, but on the other hand, she would take what she could get! At least nowadays you can do some research ahead of time online... Thanks for the well wishes. Interesting to hear about your friend.

Yup. Both me then and my friend now.

My ds is in the same position as your dd but I think that sun is one of his triggers so I make sure he wears polarised sun glasses and a hat when out.

I hope that your dd finds some relief and grows out of it which is what has happened to children in our extended family.  My ds is finding success using anatriptyline at a low dosage,  it is early days yet but he does have some pain free times. Lifestyle is very important too.  We are in the UK so not sure if the approach is different here or not.

Stephanie