Menu

But I don't want to go back to Walmart tonight!!!!!! (and maybe some suggestions for a replacement air mattress)

DawnM

Maddening.

Son needs a blow up mattress for a trip tomorrow.

We went to Walmart and picked up a Coleman brand twin size. 

THANKFULLY I had him blow it up when we got home.  IT LEAKS!  Brand new and the darn thing leaks!

Back to the store I go and I am wondering if I should spend a bit more and get a better one.

Suggestions?  Maybe even a trip to Dick's or REI?

Nothing too high priced please ($65 or less).

I think he wants one that isn't too high as all the kids will have them and he doesn't want to stand out with something "different."

Well, that is what I was afraid of, that we could get a bad one no matter what.

UGH!

I may buy 3 just to be on the safe side and take back one or two.

If it makes a difference in your suggestions, they will be sleeping on a wood floor in a church building.

We have several camping/backpacking style air mattresses, but they are far too thin for this particular trip.

Crap.  I don't want the same one.

GRRR!!!!!

I guess I will find out what they say.

I recently bought a queen sized Coleman at walmart. I thought there was a sign there that said once it had been opened, it could only be exchanged for the same product (too many people using them for a weekend and then returning I guess).

Crap. I don't want the same one.

GRRR!!!!!

I guess I will find out what they say.

FWIW - I bought the new queen Coleman to replace one just like it that we had for at least 8 years and had been slept on for a few hundred nights. We also have a twin Coleman that we've had for many years with no issues.

The only thermarest I see that could be used directly on a wood floor would be around $200.  I am not even sure where i could find one.

I definitely don't want the thin backpacking type.

There are different types of thin backpacking types.  Some are mere foam and are almost not worth the trouble except they will keep you up off the ground.  I've never found a comfortable one.

Thermarest are thin, but they are far superior to regular air mattresses.  They inflate a little bit, but keep you off the ground and comfortable - adjusted to the individual's preference.  They are superb when sleeping on "rough" ground, but also have no problem handling floors.

REI or other camping places should sell them and some even have a "store brand" of the same item that might be good.  We've always gone with the name brand as we seldom skimp with our hiking/camping gear.  We buy what we want based upon sheer comfort.

On one mission trip my middle son took his Thermarest and everyone felt sorry for him since he didn't have a "real" air mattress.  He let them try it - and then was the envy of the trip...  Size means diddly.  It's what's inside that counts.

This is similar to what we have:

http://www.rei.com/product/829820/therm-a-rest-prolite-sleeping-pad-

If it makes a difference in your suggestions, they will be sleeping on a wood floor in a church building.

We have several camping/backpacking style air mattresses, but they are far too thin for this particular trip.

Can you double up the thin mattresses?

We once used our thermarests on the wood floors of our house for about a week while we were waiting for our stuff to arrive from across the country. None of us had any problem sleeping on them and I'd much rather sleep on one of them than an air mattress. I won't touch those stupid foam backpacking pads. Thermarest is a totally different thing.

Thanks all.  I will be looking into a thermarest for the future.

Right now we have decided our son is taking one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Shikibuton-Trifold-density-resilient-Folding/dp/B004O753P2/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1403741023&sr=8-28&keywords=folding+mattress

We have it on hand and I won't worry about it deflating.  I am hoping it is ok......they did specify blow up, but honestly, this is better for right now.

Dawn

UPDATE:

I went to return it and indeed they don't do anything but exchange.  GRRR.

I am now stuck with this thing.

Or, I could go back to Walmart another day and return it with no receipt since the new one isn't opened and at least get a Walmart gift card.

UPDATE:

I went to return it and indeed they don't do anything but exchange.  GRRR.

Or, I could go back to Walmart another day and return it with no receipt since the new one isn't opened and at least get a Walmart gift card.

Since the original was defective, I'd have no ethical issues with returning the "exchanged for" one.

UPDATE:

I went to return it and indeed they don't do anything but exchange. GRRR.

I would do that.

I did something similar once. I bought a GPS on Black Friday and then after DH opened it at Christmas we decided to get an upgraded model. When I went to return/exchange it I couldn't because they had a 30 day policy on GPS units. So I went back later without a receipt and they gave me store credit (it was completely sealed, never opened so it was obvious we hadn't used it).