Menu

please tell me about blender recommendations

mum

I love my Blendtec. It's pretty much like a Vitamix except the blades are blunt so you can't cut yourself.

I had a Ninja and that worked well (for a much lower price,) but I'm an idiot and I managed to cut myself on the blades. That's when I bought the Blendtec. I got mine at Sam's Club.

Depending on what you'll be using it for, you might not need to spend all that money on a Vitamix or a Blendtec, though.

I had an old osterizer from my mother.  we have since gotten a blendtec.  if you use your blender a lot - yes, it's worth it.

dh uses it more than me, (okay - he wanted something he so could make milkshakes), but I make dutch babies - and the difference in volume has been significant.

we've been amazed at the difference.

we bought ours at Costco - they will occasionally get both of them in (usually at different times.)

We love our Blendtec as well. We got it refurbished from Blendtec with a 10 yr warranty (I think?) Can't quite remember the number. . .

Anyway, it's awesome. We include almonds in smoothies to add protein, and the Blendtec always does fabulous even with the whole, frozen almonds.

One nice thing about the Blendtec as opposed to the Vitamix is that the Blendtec has cycle settings you can set and then walk away from. It will finish and stop by itself so you don't have to wait through the noise to stop the machine when it's time. Those things are LOUD.

I like my Ninja (though I do agree that it is diabolically sharp). I complained on another thread that the cord was a bit short, but I subsequently discovered that half the cord was just crammed into the cord holding compartment and I'm not too bright. I had to pry the cord out with a chopstick, but now it's plenty long.

We got a Vitamix mostly because they were available at Costco when we were debating about brands, so no waiting for shipping. I've used ours heavily for 10 plus years now and it works great. I regularly ground coffee two cups at a time, ground brown rice for cream of brown rice hot cereal again 2 cups at a time, make corn bread batter from popcorn in it and pancakes and waffle batter in it from whole millet, buckwheat, and rice...I used to use whole wheat berries though.

The main thing for me is "ice crusher" function and glass container. We now have an Oster with both of those features and it works for us.

I was rather disappointed that the uber-expensive Vitamix I saw had a plastic container. With all our blueberry smoothies, it would look very ugly very soon.

I absolutely adore my vitamix. I use it at least twice a day. I cannot believe how well it works. If this thing breaks I am ordering a new one the same day. I actually got a little panicked when we went to my moms and I wouldn't have my vitamix for a week.

But, it was soooo expensive. If you think you will use it often then you should seriously consider an expensive blender (vitamix or Blendtec are the same, IMO). I find I use it for lots of things that I used to use the food processor for. The vitamix is dead easy to clean and much easier to deal with than the processor. I make things like hummus and refried beans in the vitamix now.

I have a refurbished 'new generation' vitamix. Getting it refurbished made it a teensy bit cheaper.

The main thing for me is "ice crusher" function and glass container. We now have an Oster with both of those features and it works for us.

I was rather disappointed that the uber-expensive Vitamix I saw had a plastic container. With all our blueberry smoothies, it would look very ugly very soon.

I have a smoothie with blueberries every morning and my vitamix looks fine. I've made beet smoothies (or a smoothie with beets and other stuff) and it didn't stain a bit.

What can be hard on the container is hard stuff. So, grinding  rice or things like that can start to scratch the container over time.

I am glad you have a blender you like, because that is the important part, but don't let blueberries deter you.

I would have liked a glass container as well, although I prob would have broken it by now. I am old enough to remember when the vitamix came with a stainless container.

The vitamix crushes ice like nothing I have every tried. It makes margaritas that are professional quality!

I like my Ninja (though I do agree that it is diabolically sharp). I complained on another thread that the cord was a bit short, but I subsequently discovered that half the cord was just crammed into the cord holding compartment and I'm not too bright. I had to pry the cord out with a chopstick, but now it's plenty long.

Add my name to the Not Too Bright Club, because I didn't find the cord compartment right away, either. :blush:

Liz, we've made all kinds of crazy concoctions and our blender looks good as new. it's been dropped so many times with no damage, too.

Wow, then Vitamix must be made out of some other material than the old Osterizer we had. The container was not glass and it became so dull and dirty looking even when it was clean. Well, I am glad you are getting a good product for the price! When this blender goes, I may have to rethink this thing.

I have a Blendtec and love it. I use it daily at minimum and it works so much better than anything else I've ever tried. Vitamix's are good too, it just depends on personal preference. I prefer the more automatic settings of the Blendtec. And like pp said the plastic on these is very durable and berries or whatever does not stain them.

I love my vitamix. I debated for years making the investment but it has paid for itself. I use it daily. Nut butters, smoothies, nut milks, millet flour, almond flour, etc. No discoloration from blueberries here and I use a lot of blueberries.

We're enjoying our Nutribullet. It just does small amounts--the biggest cup does about 2 smoothies worth. But we hardly ever used our old Osterizer for anything. The Nutribullet is easier to use and it makes smoother green smoothies, which is what we mostly use it for. It even makes better milkshakes. :D