Menu

Ds is trying to write a resume for a job he's applying for.  Does he say that he has completed his junior year of high school?  Does he leave off education?  Does he put an objective?  It's going to be a very small resume since this is his first formal job that he's applying for.  I figure he can put down the volunteer work that he's done.  

I used to write resumes in a past life. Some of the "rules" have probably changed since then, though! I would definitely include an objective. I used to tell clients that every job was a stepping stone to the next part of their life goals, so to frame the objective so it encompasses what you hope to get out of the job (beyond money) while including something you will give in return for the employer. For example, a teen flipping burgers may  put something like "To secure a position that maximizes my organizational and multi-tasking skills, while developing my customer-service skills and deepening my responsibilities in preparation for my future goals."

Definitely include volunteer time just as you would work experience. You do want to indicate that he is still a student with ongoing educational responsibilities. Include any educational or other awards, as relevant. Depending on the position and relevance, he can also include a short section with loose details about future career/college goals and how the job fits into that. HR managers like to see forward thinking and planning from young applicants.

I would put something like "12th grade student;  graduating June 2015"

I wouldn't be too worried about an objective if he is just applying at Burger King.

I would try and beef it up a bit with volunteer work and other special recognition or expertise he has.  For example, if he is good on special computer programs, I would briefly list that -- even if he has never held a job involving computers.

My daughter once put "Rides unicycle in parades" on her high school resume, and was randomly hired to be in a scene in a community play (she just had to ride a unicycle in the background across the stage.  :))

Apparently so, along with passionate interests, extensive volunteer experience, long-range plans, and a mission statement!

When are people just going to say "no" to expectations that are not age appropriate? Why does our culture expect teens to function as if they are adults? I know some teens who spend more than 40 hours per week in school, completing homework, preparing for the SAT and the ACT. In the work world, they would get paid overtime. In the world of teens & education, it is apparently acceptable.

What, exactly, is our society hoping to accomplish?

I'm not sure what kind of a high school resume you are talking about, but I asked because ds is applying for a job - a grown-up job with grown-up pay.  He needs a resume and a certification in CPR/First Aid, which he got in a 5 hour class, and an FBI background check and a filled out application just like any other potential employee.  

I'm not sure what kind of a high school resume you are talking about, but I asked because ds is applying for a job - a grown-up job with grown-up pay.  He needs a resume and a certification in CPR/First Aid, which he got in a 5 hour class, and an FBI background check and a filled out application just like any other potential employee.  

A resumé for a job like this makes sense. That wasn't clear from  your original post. I have heard many high school students talk about writing resumés for what I would consider to be a typical teen job, which is what I was referring to.

He found out about the job on his own.  He found out the requirements on his own.  He found a CPR/First Aid class that fit the certification requirements and was within an appropriate time frame on his own.  I drove him there because it was in another city and he's only learning to drive.  I also paid for the class because I think that is a good skill to have and will be a great conclusion to our health class.  He's filling out the application on his own.  He asked for advice on how to write a resume - something he's never done or seen before.  I gave him the excellent links that Lori D. posted above and he's writing the resume.  I'm hardly being a helicopter parent, I don't think.  I've written tons of resumes and I wasn't quite sure how to address his education and objective.  

A resumé for a job like this makes sense. That wasn't clear from  your original post. I have heard many high school students talk about writing resumés for what I would consider to be a typical teen job, which is what I was referring to.

I don't know. My son flirted with the idea of applying to be a bagger at a local grocery store, and he got as far as drafting a resume for that. It would have been mostly volunteer work and education info, including GPA and such.

It didn't seem odd to either of us that he would be expected to have and submit a resume to apply for a job.

Our perspective may be a bit skewed, though. He's a performer and has has a performance resume since he auditioned for his first community theatre production. 

I didn't think you were, in case my post came across that way.

I was just meant to express general sympathy for the modern teen. The expectations sometimes seem awfully high. 

I was not responding to your post.  The post I was responding to appears to have been altered.  It's ok.  I've gotten the information I was looking for and we're all happy.  

I  created a "fine arts  resume" for my daughter, listing her years of piano, art, as well as all the theatre productions she was in in high school, and printed the info. using Vista Print's "rack cards." It makes for a unique way to quickly showcase a child's talents. It's different than anyone else's and is very eye-catching, since it's in color and not the usual black and white resume on 8 1/2 x 11 paper.   While this kind of "resume" won't work for a lot of job  titles, it can definitely be an effective tool to help get your child in for a specific kind of interview when they need to "stand out from everyone else," i.e. fine arts.  

Good luck to your son!

My son also recently had to create a resume, in his case for a summer internship.  Once he started writing it, turns out he had plenty to say about himself! even though he doesn't really have a lot of EC activities.  He mentioned relevant activities and a few achievements.  This was for a STEM focused, paying internship with certain science and math classes required.  I was not surprised he had to submit a resume.

I'm an employer. I do ask for resumes because we don't have a formal application like most very large businesses. I would want to see where he is in high school, any volunteer work he's done (since this is his first job), any relevant skills he has, and any impressive work related skills he has even if they aren't directly applicable to the job he's applying for. References who are not friends or family members too (including an indication of how he knows them). While references can be submitted separately, seeing them up front tells me someone has "professional" references. It's sometimes hard for a high school student to come up with some.

I've been doing this a long time (was a manager for many years before I owned a company) and I have yet to see an "objective" that wasn't a load of useless trash. I ignore them or laugh over them. If I'm bringing on a high level manager, I suppose an objective might actually communicate something valuable (although I can't recall one that did) but I cannot fathom what a high school student could put down as an objective that wouldn't be 1) obvious or 2) nonsense.

When my kids were about 12 or 13 I put together resumes to help them keep track of any accomplishments they had. In the beginning items would include things like volunteering at the library, or recognitions from taekwondo and Scouts. They were more for personal use-- It helped them think about future goals, how to set those goals, and how to work incrementally toward those goals. It also helped them to think about themselves as individuals who could accomplish great things, rather than anonymous homeschooled kids. When DS17 visited colleges this spring, he set up meetings with professors at his target schools, and brought along his resume to give them an overview of his life so far. We included a filmography--list of films he had completed, what film festivals had accepted them--as well as academic honors , summer programs he attended, and volunteer experience. (no paying job yet). DS15 will have an artist's resume, including a list of places he has publicly displayed his art.

I salute the OP's son who is pursuing this job opportunity with gusto and perserverance! He will definitely stand out from the pack.

I was actually just reading an article about applying for internships. It seemed to have some pretty good advice that would apply for actual jobs too though.

""People will understand you won’t have a resume with lengthy work experience. Include information that will show why you’d be a beneficial intern, Morgan-Pullin said. For example, she said, put down volunteer work, school activities and jobs like lawn mowing or baby-sitting. Davis added that students should include specific skill sets in their resumes and cover letters.

“It’s crucial, crucial, they put that down,†Davis said. “Whatever software programs or skill sets they have that will be applicable to the company or employer, they need to really make sure they add that.â€"