Menu

Looking for a fun interactive pre-algebra review for summer!

My DD is just finishing up 6th grade in public school. She took advanced pre-alg this year and is walking away with an A (both semesters). However, she is still lacking a bit of confidence and I would like to find a light fun review program.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would also LOVE some summer reading suggestions!

Keys to Algebra would be a good preparation.

I like Math Pizzazz for general summer practice. It's a free download. (Just google the name, and add "filetype:pdf" if you want to narrow it down.) They're great review, but not a whole program. I like that they're usually self-checking. The pages usually have a joke or a ridde and you have to do the page correctly to get the answer.

Online: Khan Academy, and I've also used Lure of the Labyrinth which is free Prealgebra through games.  You can set up a teacher account to check progress, even.  Not a curriculum, but might be fun to toss in the mix for summer review.

Print: I'll second Pizzazz Math, Life of Fred, Kiss My Math, and another good option for a problem-solving focus are the Zacarro books.   Keys to Algebra is straightforward but I find it dry (I wouldn't characterize it as 'fun').

I've used all of these at various times over the years (3 kids) - all of them at once would be too much, but it's good to have options, as what appeals to one kid doesn't to the next one!

I found out that my DD has access to Learning Upgrade through her public school, until 8/31, so we will take advantage of that. I am also having her read the Danica McKeller books.

Welcome Summer!!

If your library has A-Plus Notes for Beginning Algebra by Rong Yang, it is a nice review for pre-algebra that your child can do by herself. The only chapter my kid didn't cover for his school's pre-algebra was chapter 8 polynomials and factoring and chapter 12 quadratic equations and functions.