Menu

Things to do in San Diego, CA?

MFG

I have an opportunity to go with dh on a business trip to San Diego in a few weeks. He is attending a trade show but is not an exhibitor, just meeting with customers/potential customers. So he will have some free time. Both the trade show and our hotel is in the downtown area and we will walk or use public transport to see the area. Any suggestions for half day or evening activities in the area? Also any restaurant suggestions?

I grew up in San Diego, though I live 2 hours north now. My favorite place in San Diego is Balboa Park. It is full of museums, gardens, interesting people and sights. The weather should be beautiful. If you want some nice restaurant choices and night-life, head to the Gaslamp Quarter downtown. It's totally revitalized and full of great restaurants and music. If you want great pizza, Filippi's Pizza Grotto on India Street is the best. It's located in LIttle Italy, which is full of great restaurants and people watching. Those are all places you should be able to get to very easily, centrally located to downtown.

Drive over to Coronado Island and hang out at the Hotel Del for while. It's a great old hotel - lots of history and glamour and even a ghost. I went to college in San Diego years back and loved it down there. The naval cemetery and light house in Point Loma are nice to visit, too.

Drive over to Coronado Island and hang out at the Hotel Del for while. It's a great old hotel - lots of history and glamour and even a ghost. I went to college in San Diego years back and loved it down there. The naval cemetery and light house in Point Loma are nice to visit, too.

Since it sounds like they won't have a car... take the ferry over to Coronado. The Ferry terminal is walkable from downtown. All Coronado is walkable, or there is a small in-town bus that runs from the ferry landing to the Hotel Del Coronado.

There is a bus that goes over the bridge, if you want the over the bridge part of the experience, but the boat is more fun - it's like a little mini harbor tour.

There's a tour trolley thing that also runs to Coronado, which would probably be more fun for over-the-bridge.

Balboa Park (where the zoo and many museums are) is easy to get to via public transportation from downtown.

When we went last year, we chose Old Town, Whale Watching (on the small Navy Seal sized boat, not the big ferry sized boat), the USS Midway Museum, sailing trip aboard the Californian at the San Diego Maritime Museum, and the San Diego Seal Tours. We did drive over to Check out Coronado Island and the Hotel del Coronado. That bridge scared the be-jeebies out of me.

One of our best vacations. We had dogs and rented a beach house near Dog Beach and got to run the dogs each day. Fantastic!

Transportation can be your friend. The trolleys are great. They even go to San Ysidro (right near the border.) I love Old Town and Gaslamp District. It's been a while, but I'm certain public transport goes to Sea World and the Zoo. Just check on times because I didn't think the buses ran past 5 or 6pm from Sea World (possibly a little later from the Zoo.)