Menu

Yoga & Meditation Accountability Thread 6/8 - 6/14

Hoot

Great! My goal for the week is 3 sessions of Patricia Walden's dvd. I ordered a yoga strap and will add that prop to the mix along with my block and blanket.

I absolutely LOVE my strap! It makes some of those stretches so deliciously deep.

I only just noticed this thread and love the idea. I wonder if I should post if I only do yoga a few times a week (maximum). I seldom do meditation and barely know how to do it. I wish I could do both more often.

Of course you should join us, Negin. The more the merrier :D

I'm so glad you're joining us, Negin! Everyone's journey is different and no one should be embarrassed about that or worried that they'll be viewed as less than. Just be where you are, whether it's once a week or twice a day. I'm finding that absolutely anything is better than nothing at all. No judgment. Only encouragement.

Oooh.... I would love to jump in on the meditation side... so far I haven't added yoga. I am the world's least flexible person.... can anyone recommend a (super, uber) gentle first venture into yoga that is doable for me?

I've been meditating for a few months now... last night I used a guided meditation by Andrea Fella from audiodharma.org. She gives great dharma talks, too.

Gathering materials to make my own zafu this week:

http://etsybuddhists.blogspot.com/2011/02/tutorial-zafus-and-zabutons.html

Did a 30 minute body scan on Saturday morning when I woke up too early.

Tried the same on Sunday but couldn't focus.  First time I've given up in disgust.

If you are interested in learning some meditation techniques, an excellent book is Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn.  He gives details for multiple forms of meditation so that you can find one that suits you.

Oooh.... I would love to jump in on the meditation side... so far I haven't added yoga. I am the world's least flexible person.... can anyone recommend a (super, uber) gentle first venture into yoga that is doable for me?

I've been meditating for a few months now... last night I used a guided meditation by Andrea Fella from audiodharma.org. She gives great dharma talks, too.

Gathering materials to make my own zafu this week:

http://etsybuddhists.blogspot.com/2011/02/tutorial-zafus-and-zabutons.html

I'm pretty inflexible, too. I've found that practicing yoga is helping with that though.

As for beginner yoga instructors, I really love Rodney Yee. I find him to be very calming and gentle. He's the one I started with.

Tuesday & Wednesday I did 15 min of yoga on my own and about 5-10 min of meditation.

Thursday

20 min Yoga for Beginners with Rodney Yee

10 min meditation

I usually do my meditation in my roof garden, but it has been raining every morning this week. Monday and Tuesday I did it on the enclosed deck but today, since it wasn't raining hard, I decided to go ahead and do it in the roof garden anyway. I love it up there.

I usually do my meditation in my roof garden, but it has been raining every morning this week. Monday and Tuesday I did it on the enclosed deck but today, since it wasn't raining hard, I decided to go ahead and do it in the roof garden anyway. I love it up there.

Oh that sounds lovely.

Oh that sounds lovely.

It's my favorite place. A few years ago we put on an enclosed deck and the roof of it is only very slightly pitched. I suggested to my husband that it seemed like such a waste of space. We went back and forth about what to do with it before he finally built me 8 planter boxes. They go around the edge of the space and I use the center to meditate. One of these nights I want to sleep up there. :)

It's my favorite place. A few years ago we put on an enclosed deck and the roof of it is only very slightly pitched. I suggested to my husband that it seemed like such a waste of space. We went back and forth about what to do with it before he finally built me 8 planter boxes. They go around the edge of the space and I use the center to meditate. One of these nights I want to sleep up there. :)

A little piece of paradise :D

And to keep with the accountability intention...I've got several appts. today plus a large grocery shop to do so likely no yoga for me but tomorrow I've got a long session slotted in with Patricia Walden. :thumbup:

I just did my second hour-long yoga session this week. It was both invigorating and relaxing. I got to use my new strap, too. I have one session left to get in before Sunday night in order to meet my aspiration for this week.

How's everyone else doing?

I was able to get in 8 minutes of meditation time. I also bought a book by Jon Kabat-Zin, Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfullness Meditation in Everyday Life. 

I've been trying to get more meditation time, and be consistent with it.  

For those interested, I have a meditation timer app on my phone called Insight Timer.  It's free, but if you get the paid version you have access to guided meditations.  I've liked having the timer.  

As for yoga this week, I've only had time for one Yin practice.  I plan on 30 minutes tomorrow morning, and Yin tomorrow night.  

I was able to get in 8 minutes of meditation time. I also bought a book by Jon Kabat-Zin, Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfullness Meditation in Everyday Life.

I've been trying to get more meditation time, and be consistent with it.

For those interested, I have a meditation timer app on my phone called Insight Timer. It's free, but if you get the paid version you have access to guided meditations. I've liked having the timer.

As for yoga this week, I've only had time for one Yin practice. I plan on 30 minutes tomorrow morning, and Yin tomorrow night.

Thanks for the book and app information!