Menu

Is there a benefit to testing out-of-grade-level?

My daughter just took the 6th grade Cat 6/terra nova with a homeschool group and got all questions right in the reading and vocabulary and mathematics sub tests and missed only a few in the math computation and language sections for a total score in the 98th %ile and 12.9+ GE. I officially only need to have her test in 3rd, 5th, and 8th, but do it each year as a practice. I was thinking about next year... Is there any actual benefit to testing out of grade level? She clearly is doing great and I have a sense that it's good to make sure she hasn't forgotten typical grade level skills even though she might be working on non-grade level topics. But I know some folks have their kids take out of grade level tests. Why? Should I do have her do this? One grade level ahead? Two ahead? If so, do I just lie about her grade when I sign her up? Will that mess anything up on the off-chance the district requests her scores in eighth grade? Thanks!

Talent searches have significantly higher out of level tests.

They also have some additional resources ... Sometimes courses that are too expensive, but also information.

Check NUMATS, duke TiP, Johns Hopkins CTY.

Ds participates in all 3. NUMATS gives the best score info for the tests IMO.

Talent search testing may or may not meet what you're required to do. In my case, I'm not required to test anyway, and the EXPLORE is widely used for high school placement so it's well recognized that a kid with good scores in 4th-6th is on/above their official grade level.

I'm not required to test, but alternate between talent search testing and above-level ITBS. Talent search tests open more doors, but aren't as helpful for planning purposes as the ITBS.

BJU offers a way to get two sets of ITBS scores (one compared to the grade the child is enrolled in and the other compared to the grade being tested) but I've never bothered paying the extra fee for that service. If you do a search on this forum, it should come up.

For a kid who is getting scores at the 98th and 99th percentile all the way down the line, the only way you're going to get information about relative strengths and weaknesses is to give them an out of level test--and it may have to be more than one year above their age-grade level. 

For example, at the end of 4th grade, I gave my son the 7th grade ITBS and I had them generate four different score sheets to get percentiles as compared to 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th graders. 

These are the scores as compared to 4th graders. 

Vocabulary  99

Reading Comprehension  98

Reading Total  99

Spelling  99

Capitalization  99

Punctuation  99

Usage and Expression  99

Language Total  99

Concepts and Estimation  99

Problem Solving  99

Computation  99

Math Total  99

Core Total  99

These are as compared to 7th graders:

Vocabulary  88

Reading Comprehension  71

Reading Total  79

Spelling  85

Capitalization  92

Punctuation  97

Usage and Expression  88

Language Total  95

Concepts and Estimation  69

Problem Solving  98

Computation  88

Math Total  89

Core Total  91

Relative strengths and weaknesses are more obvious.  For example, the reading comprehension that seemed strong at the 98th percentile as compared to 4th graders, is an obvious weakness here.  And the concepts and estimation score that seemed in line with the other math scores when compared to 4th graders is very obviously a weakness.  As for strengths, the punctuation and problem solving scores are quite a bit stronger than everything else, again something not hinted at when looking at the comparison to 4th graders.

I live in a state that requires testing, but not annually.  DS1 ceillinged out most domains (or was close to it) on his PIAT-r the first time.  This past year was not a required testing year for us, but we opted to do the EXPLORE through Duke TIP.  It was DS1's first group test, first timed test, first time to self-pace and bubble in.  I found the results fairly helpful.  I also know in two domains (science, reading comp.) he did very well, but was limited by the fact we really never do those types of questions at home (read a passage, answer mult. choice about it).  I will practice that a bit with him this year if he retakes the test.

It was worthwhile and informative for us.  The ceiling was no longer a limit, and it was interesting to see his percentile scores compared to 8th graders. (DS1 is a 4th grader)

I don't know what we'll do next year.  We will have to do a state-approved test, but the talent search (like EXPLORE this year) don't count as a testing option to fulfill our requirements.  I don't really want to do both talent search testing and testing to fulfill our HS requirements, but we might.  I'm not certain. 

I was interested in a class at Johns Hopkins CTY, we took the test and DS qualified (they state that they test 4th graders with a 6th grade test). We had a very specific need to qualify because this class is not widely offered. Not sure I would go through the talent search otherwise because I do not see the point.(even now I joke that we've earned the privilege of paying a bucketful of $ for a class).

We take a basic, grade-level CAT to satisfy our state testing requirement.

I tested my dd a year ahead for 1st and 2nd because of being an early reader and not wanting to bore her with way below level stuff....I chose 1 grade ahead since that's where her lowest subject (math) was at.  It made the tests more useful....she didn't top out of most categories a year ahead (reading was the exception).  I was unsure what to do this year, but decided to keep testing a year ahead, since all of her curriculum is at least a year ahead.  I don't have this year's scores yet, but I suspect it was the right decision for her.  When I originally made the decision, the scores were just for my own information.  I don't consider it lying about her grade level, because she is working at that level.   I don't foresee problems with the school district...dd is in a public school at home program this year.  I told them I wanted to test a year ahead and they had no problem with that.  Apparently it isn't that out of the ordinary of a request.  I thought they might fight it because of wanting excellent scores, but there wasn't even a discussion...they just did it.

One thing I've noticed with my DD is that if the test is too easy, she tends to check out (that's also a problem in taking the same test multiple years, even if it's designed to be taken multiple times-she tends to check out the 2nd time she takes it), so we actually get more valid scores on harder tests, not just because of the ceiling, but because if it's hard, she puts her mind into it more. Which is one reason why I may try to have her take the ACT in 5th. I'd rather have her make mistakes because she truly doesn't know the content vs making stupid mistakes due to not paying attention (this is especially common for her on reading tests...sigh....).