Menu

History/Science Notebooks as Independent Interest Led Learning

I'm toying with the idea of dd 4th grade doing history and science independently and interested led this coming year. Do any of you use notebooks as a way for your interest led students to document what they're learning? I'm thinking I would allow dd to pick her topic, check out books at the library, read daily, and keep a notebook of some sort to tell me what she's learning about.

This is kind of what we're doing this year.  I have a membership to notebookingpages.com,  but I'm worried it will complicate things for me.  So my plan is to have just a composition book for all subjects.  Then I would have my dd read and write a few sentences and draw something just to get us started in the habit.  Then as the year progresses, I would give more specific assignments and lengthen the writing. (still working on that though)  

But to answer your question, yes, this is what we do somewhat, and what I plan to tweak for next year.:)

Sigh, there was a poster here years ago who had a blog perfect for this, and I can't remember the link!  Anyways, they scrapbooked what the girl studied.  If your dd at all enjoys art, crafting, that sort of thing, you might consider going that direction.  I did some with dd, and while it was very time-consuming to write the little labels, etc., it was also very fun and made a nice product that they enjoyed sharing.  For some dc, that audience and ability to share is worth something.  

We just got blank pages and a notebook at Hobby Lobby when they were 40% off.  They rotate what is on sale.

This is kind of what we're doing this year. I have a membership to notebookingpages.com, but I'm worried it will complicate things for me. So my plan is to have just a composition book for all subjects. Then I would have my dd read and write a few sentences and draw something just to get us started in the habit. Then as the year progresses, I would give more specific assignments and lengthen the writing. (still working on that though)

But to answer your question, yes, this is what we do somewhat, and what I plan to tweak for next year.:)

Excellent! I'm glad to know it's working for someone.

Not exactly. My kids write 1 paper per week. They alternate between history and science topics in 4th grade. I pick one topic pertaining to their reading that I want them to learn more about, print up three articles on the topic, have them take notes, and write a report.

Oh, yes, I vaguely remember that from your interest led tea thread. I need to go back and read that.

Sigh, there was a poster here years ago who had a blog perfect for this, and I can't remember the link! Anyways, they scrapbooked what the girl studied. If your dd at all enjoys art, crafting, that sort of thing, you might consider going that direction. I did some with dd, and while it was very time-consuming to write the little labels, etc., it was also very fun and made a nice product that they enjoyed sharing. For some dc, that audience and ability to share is worth something.

We just got blank pages and a notebook at Hobby Lobby when they were 40% off. They rotate what is on sale.

Dd LOVES arts and crafts. And I actually already have some blank notebooks that would be perfect! :)

I am starting something like that for DS10 and DD8. I got them each 2 composition books, some cool pens, tape, highlighters, etc. And I had them pick 2 topics. DD8 picked candy and princesses (fairy tale vs. real). DS10 is debating between a couple topics to start (history of weapons and beyblades). 

DD8 has started by reading some of the original princess fairy tales and making a list of how they differ from the disney version and I print some coloring pages for her to color and decorate with. 

For DS10, I am goign to have him study the physics of beyblades (lots out there), how to improve their performance, the history of their names, etc.

This is all an aside and for his free time.

DD8 likes it so much, that this is how I am going to do history for her next year.

And the candy book has turned up some really interesting facts (history, geography) about some of her favorite candies.

Not exactly. My kids write 1 paper per week. They alternate between history and science topics in 4th grade. I pick one topic pertaining to their reading that I want them to learn more about, print up three articles on the topic, have them take notes, and write a report.

I have been meaning to ask you for a long time if you could post a sample of topics you assign at that age level. My older will be in fourth and I would love to take your approach. It would really help me to see a sample topic list from literature, history, and science. So far my kids write summaries in history independently. I help with science. We need to move on from summary writing.

The girls made sketchbooks this year for History but they followed a program, not interest lead learning but you could use the same idea for what you are thinking about. My 7th grader was using TOG and I felt that there was little to show for what she was learning, reading, interested in - so I guess in some ways it was reflective on what her interest were using TOG as the home base. When she did research on a particular person or read a book, she would make an entry in her sketchbook with drawings and or information about what she learned. She also drew maps in the sketchbook that were relevant to the time period she was learning about.

History Sketchbooks

My younger dd worked mostly with History Pockets this year combined with Trail Guide to Learning so her book is more a combination of HP from each lesson.

She did take a class a few years ago where they made a scrapbook for History as well. I loved the way it turned out and really want to do this for High School but I have to buy a Cricut first!

California Scrapbook

I have been meaning to ask you for a long time if you could post a sample of topics you assign at that age level. My older will be in fourth and I would love to take your approach. It would really help me to see a sample topic list from literature, history, and science. So far my kids write summaries in history independently. I help with science. We need to move on from summary writing.

For 4th grade, it would be simple things like describe the process of photosynthesis or the life cycle of a frog (essentially a key pt from what they are reading.)   Say it is photosynthesis, I might print up these three articles: 

http://www.biology4kids.com/files/plants_photosynthesis.html

http://www.ducksters.com/science/photosynthesis.php

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/photosynthesis-for-kids.html

Ok, I didn't actually read them, only the bolded pts.   At first I would sit with them with high lighters learning how to take notes on what is necessary and what isn't as important.   Then, I would have them gather the notes that cover the same topic and write them down together.   Next, I would have them outline the information, etc.

The main thing to remember is that whatever topic you come up with, it needs to be able to be covered in a few paragraphs.   Don't assign something like "write a report on penguins."   That is far too broad and book can be written on it.   If they are learning about penguins, pick a specific topic like habitat.

For 4th grade, it would be simple things like describe the process of photosynthesis or the life cycle of a frog (essentially a key pt from what they are reading.) Say it is photosynthesis, I might print up these three articles:

http://www.biology4kids.com/files/plants_photosynthesis.html

http://www.ducksters.com/science/photosynthesis.php

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/photosynthesis-for-kids.html

Ok, I didn't actually read them, only the bolded pts. At first I would sit with them with high lighters learning how to take notes on what is necessary and what isn't as important. Then, I would have them gather the notes that cover the same topic and write them down together. Next, I would have them outline the information, etc.

The main thing to remember is that whatever topic you come up with, it needs to be able to be covered in a few paragraphs. Don't assign something like "write a report on penguins." That is far too broad and book can be written on it. If they are learning about penguins, pick a specific topic like habitat.

Thank you. That's very helpful.

The girls made sketchbooks this year for History but they followed a program, not interest lead learning but you could use the same idea for what you are thinking about. My 7th grader was using TOG and I felt that there was little to show for what she was learning, reading, interested in - so I guess in some ways it was reflective on what her interest were using TOG as the home base. When she did research on a particular person or read a book, she would make an entry in her sketchbook with drawings and or information about what she learned. She also drew maps in the sketchbook that were relevant to the time period she was learning about.

History Sketchbooks

My younger dd worked mostly with History Pockets this year combined with Trail Guide to Learning so her book is more a combination of HP from each lesson.

She did take a class a few years ago where they made a scrapbook for History as well. I loved the way it turned out and really want to do this for High School but I have to buy a Cricut first!

California Scrapbook

This is fabulous! Thank you so much. Very similar to what I'm thinking.

You choose the topics, right? Do you also choose the books or do you let the kids select them? How do you know what topics for them to write about- I.e. do you also read the books?

Thank you. That's very helpful.

Glad it helped.   FWIW, I am in the middle of writing a writing curriculum.   I had planned on finishing it several months ago, but dil had issues with her pregnancy and their 1 and 2 yr olds fell into our care off and on for weeks the past few months.   I love them to death, but adding 2 little ones to our household threw our school yr into complete upheaval and any plans I had for working on it went out the window.   I am hoping it will be finished in the next couple of months.

You choose the topics, right? Do you also choose the books or do you let the kids select them? How do you know what topics for them to write about- I.e. do you also read the books?

The kids choose the science books.   I select the writing topics.   History topics are selected prior to the beginning of the school yr and I formulate a general plan before school starts.

The kids choose the science books. I select the writing topics. History topics are selected prior to the beginning of the school yr and I formulate a general plan before school starts.

Ok, so for science they pick the books and then you glance through them and choose topics weekly?

Glad it helped. FWIW, I am in the middle of writing a writing curriculum. I had planned on finishing it several months ago, but dil had issues with her pregnancy and their 1 and 2 yr olds fell into our care off and on for weeks the past few months. I love them to death, but adding 2 little ones to our household threw our school yr into complete upheaval and any plans I had for working on it went out the window. I am hoping it will be finished in the next couple of months.

I can't wait to see that!

Glad it helped. FWIW, I am in the middle of writing a writing curriculum. I had planned on finishing it several months ago, but dil had issues with her pregnancy and their 1 and 2 yr olds fell into our care off and on for weeks the past few months. I love them to death, but adding 2 little ones to our household threw our school yr into complete upheaval and any plans I had for working on it went out the window. I am hoping it will be finished in the next couple of months.

We are waiting!

This is fabulous! Thank you so much. Very similar to what I'm thinking.

I need to update with some more recent work. Overall it was a great way to journal about what she was learning in TOG, especially since I felt there was very little to show for what she was actually reading and studying about. It also really gave her a lot of control and creativity as to what she wanted to include. At first we also started printing off TOG maps for her to label but then moved into just drawing her own maps,which was another area she has been particularly interested in. So even though the learning followed a structured plan, she was able to dive deeper into topics or people she was more interested in and the sketchbook really evolved over the year with her interests.

Glad you liked it!  :001_smile: