Menu

SAT Test Prep

• 2 weeks later...

We don't prep over the summer, because the first test date is not until October. We prefer to take the late January/early February test dates for the SAT/ACT (two weeks apart) and prepare after Christmas/early January while we are still on semester break.

DD worked through the practice tests in the red Real ACT and the blue SAT book from the College board. This was sufficient and inexpensive. She prepped for about 3 weeks.

I bought the official SAT online program recently.  My daughter likes it because it has test taking hints in addition to answers to the questions.  For her, working on line is easier than pulling out a large book.  She is going to take the PA homeschoolers online SAT essay class this fall.  She's a good writer, but needs more experience with timed essays.  She's also going to be working through some test prep books from the library as needed.  Both my daughters answer the SAT question of the day each morning.

Like Jean, our library sometimes offers free test prep sessions run by an outside group (like Kaplan....). They take the test one day, and get the results and go over strategies at the next meeting. Maybe your library offers something similar?

Honestly, there are some great test prep materials out there. If your student is able/willing to be disciplined about the prep I'd be willing to bet s/he would be able to make a huge jump in score by working through them.

Here are a few of our favs:

The Critical Reader

The Ultimate Guide to SAT Grammar

PWN the SAT Math

Also, working through the Blue Book using the Xiggi method was very helpful. You can find instructions here: Xiggi

Is your student testing before the new exam is released?

@Jen_in_NY 

I agree  - there are great resources out there for kids to use.

I think The New Math SAT Game Plan is a great resource for kids in the 500-600 range.

And lots of kids and parents don't realize that the college board publishes full explanations for every single question and answer in the Blue Book here: www.collegeboard.com/satstudyguide

I bought the official SAT online program recently.  My daughter likes it because it has test taking hints in addition to answers to the questions.  For her, working on line is easier than pulling out a large book.  She is going to take the PA homeschoolers online SAT essay class this fall.  She's a good writer, but needs more experience with timed essays.  She's also going to be working through some test prep books from the library as needed.  Both my daughters answer the SAT question of the day each morning.

I thought the question of the day was discontinued?  Are you pulling questions yourself for them to answer?

How many of you are tackling SAT test prep over the summer for your rising juniors? (or seniors)

How are you doing it?

I'll figure out which test prep book I want, buy it, and then get ds to study it and do practice tests over the coming year.  I am hoping that all the grammar/logic/math/literature study he has done over the years will be helpful.